Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#23 Camel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: #23 Camel Reply with quote

sooooo... started this the other day after i had forgotten that i had it and finally got a kit to do it with. the Powerslide sheet says it's for 96/97 and i mistakenly bought a 95 Bird, thankfully this scheme was run in 1995, just have to change the contingencies.

anyway, painted the purple first (Tamiya PS-18 metallic purple seems to be a perfect match) and then masked and painted the yellow... the decal guide calls for Camel yellow, which is what i used... makes sense, right? Camel sponsored car would be Camel yellow?

well... nope. the yellow of the camel on the hood does not match Camel yellow. not even close to my eyes. should be chrome yellow, yellow, whatever could be matched. the camel decal is way brighter.

project target-

yellow on the hood camel matches up with the yellow on the body perfectly

here is Tamiya camel yellow, 3 coats over white primer, with the hood in the picture for comparison

not even close... but hey, at least it's yellow, right? Embarassed

no way am i going to repaint, guess i will have to just go with it, should look ok on the shelf in a case... take this as a word of caution if you are planning on doing this build.
Vdc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this sheet.

But only noticed the 'bright yellow' on the paint guide after buying the Tamiya camel shade. I have some rattlecan signal yellow that should work.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your reply made me go back and check the decal guide and it plainly says “bright yellow” on it… wow, i feel dumb. Just assumed that Camel yellow would go on the Camel car.

Live and learn. Still gonna leave it as is, got a great finish from both paints.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: