Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/16 Mid 80's Thunderbird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: 1/16 Mid 80's Thunderbird Reply with quote

Has anyone built one of the AMT 1/16 Ford Thunderbird kits? I remember building one when I was a kid, but I don't remember how it went together. I recently picked one up at my local hobby shop that they purchased off an individual in a collection and want to build it. Just wondering how it all goes together. The body to me looks off. In the instructions they say to cut the upper bar out on both side pieces of the roll cage to fit the body I'm guessing. The door side looks too short in height to me. I'm starting to look to see if the window opening is too large in height, maybe the sill can be moved up some, I don't know yet.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body is way off, the engine is poor. They have you cut up the roll cage to fit inside the body. Wheels and tires are just OK at best. Other than that a great kit. Laughing
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I am planning on building the Kyle Petty car that says its a Wood Brothers car, NOT. It is Petty Ent. 84 car. Hood decal is too small to make a 'right' 85 car. But some much is wrong, who cares?
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at trying to make something a little presentable out of this and was wondering about the front track width. Has anybody built one that can take a few pictures of and share? I'm wondering if the front fenders can be narrowed any since to bulge out so much. I am working on raising the windowsill some and haven't finished it yet but, to my eye it helps a lot. Will try and get pictures when I fell I have it far enough along to share. it also appears to me that the body line that runs nose to tail should be raised some through the door area to align with the line in the nose and behind the rear wheel opening.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First picture is what comes in the kit. The second picture is what I have done to try and make the body look a little better. I cut the window sill and moved it up, recontoures the quarter panel to door panel, modified the shape of the quarter window.

MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea this kit even existed but will be watching intently as you do your magic to make it look awesome as usual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: