Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Salvinos stuff....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: New Salvinos stuff.... Reply with quote

...While I don't usually watch the Salvinos stuff on FB, I did today because they promised a look at the new Indycar kits, but they spent a lot of time talking about new Nascar and started talking about the Mopar B Bodies, alluding to a Super Bird and a Magnum, then went on to talk about upcoming Mercury kits, i.e. the Montego.

The surprise to me was a Jim Clark Lotus Indycar .........hmmmm, from presumably his Indy win, they showed the tub . looks like 1/20th scale.

Anyway, some interesting stuff, the question also came up about the scale of NHRA stuff.

Not sure what any of it means, there was some guy on there who talked non stop and said almost nothing, but it might mean there could be some interesting stuff in the pipeline.
I'm not that excited about the Mopar stuff, mostly because I'd guess it's probably the wacky chassis, but they didn't say that.

They also defended the molded in color plastic saying that they are getting multiple complaints about the white plastic, go figure.

It would never have been an issue if they hadn't started the molded in color stuff, any way that's beating a dead horse, but I found some of the stuff pretty interesting, maybe they are finally finding their way. Let's hope so.

Watch it and draw your own conclusions.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
then went on to talk about upcoming Mercury kits, i.e. the Montego.

The body will probably look like this:
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they just don’t understand that Revellogram did their bodies in color for a long while then switched to white… there has to be some sort of reason for that Laughing

So with the AMC tribute car that Joey Logano ran that they produced a kit of, was it molded in one color and the other colors were decals, like a complete wrap? Rolling Eyes
bigryan18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
Maybe they just don’t understand that Revellogram did their bodies in color for a long while then switched to white… there has to be some sort of reason for that Laughing

So with the AMC tribute car that Joey Logano ran that they produced a kit of, was it molded in one color and the other colors were decals, like a complete wrap? Rolling Eyes

The body was molded in red...
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they will never do modern current Nascar trucks. That's money I would spend if they did.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
I guess they will never do modern current Nascar trucks. That's money I would spend if they did.

I would buy some of those too. I'm hoping for current style dirt or asphalt late model stock cars.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Papadoc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:

I'd be a Day 1 Preorder on any Truck or Xfinity kits.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy the heck out of a 69 Nova late model body with a real race chassis.

Last edited by Lionpride on Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
I would buy the heck out of 69 Nova late model body with a real race chassis.

Me too! That would be like a dream come true.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:
Lionpride wrote:

could you imagine the BGN cars of the 80's? I think I'd buy several....but then again , that's assuming they could get it right......sorry, one last dig before my New Years resolution of being kind to Salvino JR starts in 4 days! Rolling Eyes
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been in this business for five years now and still haven't done a reasonably accurate chassis or engine for any of their own tooling.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
They've been in this business for five years now and still haven't done a reasonably accurate chassis or engine for any of their own tooling.

They just need to reach the level Monogram did in 1983.......that would be a start.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least they are trying to give us something to build. I give them an A for effort. Their nextgen cars are pretty close to the real thing and once the model is sitting on the shelf does it really matter if it's not perfectly correct? They do seem quite pricey though. And the instructions for the nextgen cars could have been done a little better. A lot of the stuff I had to figure out by trial and error how it all fit together. Especially the suspension and the area around the engine. I got frustrated at times.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just are not plugged into the hobbyists who buy their products. It's almost as if they just decided one day to manufacture model kits without ever actually having built any. They are very flippant when anyone questions any of the accuracy issues, and when pressed, get rude and condescending. Outside of the accuracy issues, they have continued to use chrome plating and molding kits in color despite being told over and over that the vast majority of their customer base does not want either one of those.

" Our kits are Tamiya quality."
" A real modeler can fix any issues."
"Start your own model company." (My personal favorite).

I am very glad that those of you who are into the Nascar of today have kits available for you. But the issues listed above coupled with the price of any model kit in 2024 has me saying thanks but no thanks to buying any more of their stuff. IF they do a Montego, and if it is close enough to actually LOOK like a Montego, I'll get maybe one of those. But that's it.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
TN Vols fan wrote:
Lionpride wrote:

could you imagine the BGN cars of the 80's? I think I'd buy several....but then again , that's assuming they could get it right......sorry, one last dig before my New Years resolution of being kind to Salvino JR starts in 4 days! Rolling Eyes

I think the 80's BGN cars would be a good idea. Just make 4 different noses for the 4 GM brands. To really launch them off the shevels, launch it with Dale Jr and his Nova that he restored.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Gary................All my offers of free help were met with 'Start your own model co'......
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Well at least they are trying to give us something to build. I give them an A for effort. Their nextgen cars are pretty close to the real thing and once the model is sitting on the shelf does it really matter if it's not perfectly correct? They do seem quite pricey though. And the instructions for the nextgen cars could have been done a little better. A lot of the stuff I had to figure out by trial and error how it all fit together. Especially the suspension and the area around the engine. I got frustrated at times.

In fairness the '22 Camaro was fairly accurate though lacking in engraving detail. As good as, or maybe slightly better than a Monogram Lumina or Monte Carlo from the '90s, although they don't go together as nicely. They had no choice though, NASCAR gave them the CAD and then held their feet to the fire on the execution. Even so, their toolmakers and molders either didn't design the tooling properly, doesn't have the capability to run the molds warm enough, or is using the wrong grade of styrene (or likely some combination of all of the above) because not only do they manage to get both excessive flash and short fills on the same parts tree fed by the same gate; but the old Monogram tooling is doing the same thing for them.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papadoc wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

FYI, Jays is printing the Ford, Toyota, and Chevy truck bodies, if your good with that medium. I don't have one, but I do have the late model kit and it's awesome. They are listed for about the same price as a Salvino kit.

I can't say for sure, but I assume they are intended for the Revell/Monogram kits for chassis, but I'm not sure of the scale. ( they could be for the AMT I guess)

He was very quick to respond to me , so I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else have a hard time figuring out what the kit of the month is each month? Sometimes I get an email saying what it it but most months I do not have any clue what's coming. The receipt just says "Kit of the Month". I really wish they would tell us because I've made the mistake of ordering a new kit only to find out it's the same as the KotM, and I would've ordered something else had I knew that.
randman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurricane21 wrote:
Does anyone else have a hard time figuring out what the kit of the month is each month? Sometimes I get an email saying what it it but most months I do not have any clue what's coming. The receipt just says "Kit of the Month". I really wish they would tell us because I've made the mistake of ordering a new kit only to find out it's the same as the KotM, and I would've ordered something else had I knew that.

It's best to follow on their Builder's Group facebook page for this info. At least it was when I was still in it.
Papadoc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
Papadoc wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

FYI, Jays is printing the Ford, Toyota, and Chevy truck bodies, if your good with that medium. I don't have one, but I do have the late model kit and it's awesome. They are listed for about the same price as a Salvino kit.

I can't say for sure, but I assume they are intended for the Revell/Monogram kits for chassis, but I'm not sure of the scale. ( they could be for the AMT I guess)

He was very quick to respond to me , so I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions.

That is awesome and I've wanted to do at least one late model from him. But the price, the newness of dealing with the window glass, and an abudance of other projects has so far kept me from going in on one thus far.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news that they are continuing with the vintage NASCAR stuff. I wasn't super happy with the Olds that they did first, not happy at all with the '73-'77 vintage Monte Carlo, but I've found the Chargers and the Plymouth to be alright for a decent looking shelf model. Sure, the chassis are like 1970s era MPC, but at least somebody is making NASCAR kits of that vintage, because in case I'm missing something, there's ZERO new stuff for that vintage from other manufacturers, although I am happy about the AMT Malibu and the few MPC reissues that happened a few years back.

I'm not thrilled by the pricing, though recently the entire hobby has gone in that general direction. Glad I have a stash of older kits!
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides all that has been said, honesty, how 10 year olds could build one of their kits? I built the 22 and 23 Mustang nascar. Good luck. And a kids price? As an adult, I am happy for what they bring out, Ford related.
TJR74

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, they have been around for five plus years now so they have to be doing something right. They have chosen a business model of aiming for somewhere in the middle when it comes to quality and accuracy. This seems to be a pretty popular business model these days. I have gone through several appliances in the last 5 years that were supposed to be brand new.

The 73-77 Monte Carlo body needs a lot of work to approach the look of the 1:1 car, the 70s chassis is not the most accurate chassis, the windshield on the GM 80s kits did not fit and had to be redone, minor quality control issues like the Ford next gen under pan being warped, short shots on the 80s Monte Carlo, and excess flash on the Monogram chassis have cost me some time over the years. These things can all be true. Jim's responses have not always been the most diplomatic or best practices for defusing the situation.

However, I remember having a conversation with Ed Sexton of Revell and my take away was that the Gen-6 Nascar kits did not do very well and the chances of ever seeing a Nascar kit were slim to none. Just a few years ago the future of Nascar building did not seem very bright. Because of Salvinos we have the opportunity to build almost any car that ran in Nascar's top series for the last 3 years. We have a pretty accurate Charger and Roadrunner kit. The chassis isn't great but neither were the MPCs. You will be able to build any of the last several Indy 500 winners. In the future there is a good possibility of seeing a Superbird, 1/25 70 Roadrunner, Montego, 65 Indy winner, and maybe some NHRA cars. Not to mention the modifieds. You don't have to love them but the hobby is in a better place than it was 5 years ago.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't have to love them but the hobby is in a better place than it was 5 years ago.

I would be willing to be as lenient as possible on the issues you listed, if not for their always having a condescending attitude anytime they get called on it. They were the ones who stood up and proclaimed "Tamiya quality" and then ignored every possible offer of help to get things right.

The "take it or leave it" mentality they seem to have turned me off. I won't apologize for taking the leave it option.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notworthy
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJR74 wrote:
They have chosen a business model of aiming for somewhere in the middle when it comes to quality and accuracy.

You don't have to love them but the hobby is in a better place than it was 5 years ago.

To both of the above points, I would respond, that 5 years ago a decent NASCAR kit didn't cost $45-50 or an Indycar kit (or even a Tamiya 1/20 F1 kit) didn't cost $70-80. Most things, at least in my life, haven't gone up at quite that rate. If I'm going to pay those kind of prices, I damn well better receive AT LEAST Tamiya quality!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: