Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Model Companies first offering Buddy Bakers 1977 Olds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: New Model Companies first offering Buddy Bakers 1977 Olds Reply with quote

This is the first offering from Salvinos and is one that needed to be done I am a dealer for these if you interested....

[/url]
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely want a few of the Olds, one of my favorite race cars and Buddy was one of my favorite drivers,
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered four from SMH as soon as I saw the info on them. Been wanting one of these for a long time. Rumor is the same company will be doing the late seventies Monte Carlo and the Grand Prix 2+2.
Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: OMG Reply with quote

Thats great news ... i dont remember if any model of a 80īs 442 cutlass exists anytime?

May be with this kit will be the end of my project to convert the old Jo-Han ī77 Cutlass with resin nose into these car?

So please, please dear sirs from Salvinos create more other dont existing cars like the BGN GM-cars bodies (run in 80īs) like the Buick Apollo, Olds Omega and Pontiac Ventura
Jim N

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in for at least a couple. Hope this does well and we see the Grand Prix 2+2.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Anybody know what the chassis looks like?
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see the 2+2 in 1/24. In my opinion that would let it sit nicely next to a Monogram aerocoupe and not look shrunken.

With that said anyone willing to tool new kits and keep the hobby thriving will see my support.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by the owner that cars raced in 1981 thru today will be done in 1/24th and items 1980 and older will be in 1/25th...
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably order a few 2+2 as soon as they become available.
country modeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My order is in with Mike
BLAKE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: New kits Reply with quote

This looks like a real neat kit, but has anyone thought about the price. I know companys need to make money, and may be its a sign of the times, but this hobby is getting harder and harder to enjoy for me, just thinking, Blake.
R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have paid 25 to 40 dollars for a resin body only, with no windows or chrome plated parts and needed work to look good when painted plus another kit for the chassis. If these kits are quality pieces and come ready to build a complete kit out of the box I am in. Hopefully this maker will cover the black hole in the race kit market of a lot of the 60's and 70's cars that were raced but never produced in a race kit or street car kits.
R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please whoever gets one first do a complete review of this kit with photos here so we all can see. Thanks
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Rick from Salvino's JR Models yesterday and all is proceeding with a end of March target for shipping of the models. A very nice conversation as always and here is a link so you can see the tool and also see some of the early 3D work you can see how the the body will be done, I for one can't wait to get my hands on this kit. Also we may have some other news from them very soon so keep checking
here is the link
https://b-m.facebook.com/Salvinos-J-R-Models-129682007687654/
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears in the tiny photo of the body, that an important body line is missing. All of the resin bodies I have seen are missing that line because they were mastered from the old JoHan 75 Olds Cutlass body which was totally different on the sides.

I forgive the resin makers because they only had a limited slate to draw on. There is no reason for a new tooling to miss that line, it is a design feature on the 1:1 street and race cars. The line is hard to see on the street 442 because it is where the striping line is.

I could be wrong about the line being missing from the new body, but I sure can't see it in the picture. I am not a perfectionist rivet counter but why not get it close to correct? The line is along the side between the wheel wells and from the front to rear of the car, mid way up.

Easy to see in the pic of Cale's Olds.
country modeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good detail there, I have sent a message to Rick from Salvino's JR Models and will see what his reply is.
IROCmenace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That line is harsh and exagerated. The factory line was not as pronounced and as it was massaged by the teams each car has a varying degree of it or not.

I am just glad we are getting a kit.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the chassis, engine, interior, etc... look like? I'd be in for several of each kit, if fairly close to correct details are there. Looks awesome upon initial viewing. The Franklin Mint Petty car was close, but missing some key details. This could be great news if done the right way. Thanks for sharing with us.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is printing their decals?
Bill
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by DaveVan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Rick late last week and the release of the Olds has been moved to the end of April because of back ups from one of their vendors..he also gave me some hints about the next releases and you will love them and no I can't relay the info.................
.................. yet...
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just ordered some Hawaiian Tropic #1 decals from SMH for this... planning on doing a Pearson one.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by DaveVan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Bluesman Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm looking forward to this new kit, (& any others from this era they bring out), some things regarding this are a bit worrisome.

If you look on their site, it's obvious that the prototype model is a stripped, repainted & somewhat reworked Franklin Mint 1/24th scale diecast Petty Oldsmobile, The very shallow rims are a dead giveaway, as is the stance, the slightly banana shaped body, (notice how the body curves at both ends), too large wheel wells, & drooping front bumper. I know that's what it's from, as I had one of those Petty diecasts, the operative word there being had. I got rid of it a good while back, simply because it didn't pass the "looks like a miniature version of the 1/1 sitting on the shelf" test.

If you doubt this, open the Salvino's page & open Google Images. Type in "Franklin Mint Petty Olds" into Google & compare all the different pics of it with the ones on Salvino's site.

Now, for use as a prototype that's all well & good. However, from solid info I have from a friend & fellow modeler that the body mold was copied from that FM diecast. This info came straight from Mike at Mike's Decals, who basically acknowledged as much, although he said the issues with the Franklin Mint body would be corrected in the kit.

Here's hoping that last part is true. If not, & the errors in the diecast based prototype are carried over, the model's not going to look right. It's going to look cheap & toylike, much like that overpriced diecast did.

Now, before people start commenting that "there's no such thing as a perfect kit" or, "we're modelers, not kit assemblers, we can fix the problems", or any other of those old & tired tropes people like to bring out in defense of inaccurate kits, let me say this:

No, I don't expect a perfect, museum quality model. But. it's 2018, & given the resources available to them & the fact that they didn't have to meet any time frame, other than the arbitrary one they set for themselves, at an MSRP of $39.95, I do expect one that when built up OOB looks like an accurate miniature replica of the 1/1 on my shelf. As is evidenced in my thread or making an accurate Cushman Duster, I have the skills to make a kit more accurate & I will add extra details to do so, & on a kit tooled up 40+ years ago, I often expect to. However, on a modern tooled kit, I shouldn't have to. So, I am somewhat worried about that.

Also, the diecast was in 1/24th scale & the kit is being done in 1/25th. Again I hope that whomever is doing the tooling pattern designs for them is taking this into account.

I'm also pretty leery of how the initial delivery date of late March was announced, with absolutely no prior info about this endeavor. Too many times we've companies, (especially Revell & Moebius), make optimistic delivery date announcements, only to have delay after delay, after delay, after delay... For a totally new start up company to make such a bold announcement gives one pause. And the fact that the date has now been pushed back a month seems to bear this out.

I wish that all the domestic companies, (& many of the foreign ones as well), would take a page out of Tamiya's playbook; Tamiya doesn't announce any new kit until it is ready to begin shipping. That means the tooling has been cut, test shots ran, & corrects made where needed, & they've actually begun molding & packaging the kits. On Salvino's FB page, there's a single shot of the bumpers out of a mold, & it looks like a first run test shot, which means they still might have tweaking to do. There's no other solid info.

I can remember being the second or third person outside of the company to see Accurate Miniatures' first test shot of the McLaren M8B Can-Am car the week they got it from their molding facilities in Korea. It took another three years before the kit made it to the shelves of the local hobby shops, & Accurate Miniatures was a well established company by then. Things like that are why, though I want one of these kits very badly myself, I remain skeptical about the proposed delivery date, simply because this is a brand new, unknown & untested company.

I wish them well. I look forward to their models. But, until more solid & concrete info is forthcoming from the company itself, & we have an accurate & finished product in our hands to build, I'll remain skeptical.

Last edited by Bluesman Mark on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by DaveVan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Bluesman Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I have some questions on the kit myself. Doing work most recently for Moebius I am well aware of the lead time for new kits. Also how long it takes from idea to shelf.

A few thoughts.....
Almost all new tooling over the last 20 yeas has been done overseas. This was cheap but made lead time explode. I've read stories about the 1960's era AMT tooling guys get the wooden bucks for a new car and getting the kit into production in 3 months......and this was with pencils and slide rules!! So tool production, like all things, has changed greatly. This company is cutting the tool in USA by a tooling shop they have worked with on other projects. March was too optimistic for sure....but it may not be the year tooling in Asia takes.

I did lots of work with Accurate Miniatures I (Charlotte NC) and AM II (Concord NC) and had friends and family working at both. I knew all the parties and still consider them friends. BUT while there were many extremely talented people making some great kits (and oh the plans that never made it) Both AM's were underfunded and work progressed at a pace funds allowed. Add the tooling was in Asia and you just added more time to the process. So parallels to the two companies are not really fair.

I too hope they get it done, it's great and it leads to many more. We will all see pretty soon. thx

Ok, the tooling being cut here is indeed a plus. I didn't know that for sure. But Dave, if I may ask, what "other projects" have they done? I'm curious about that, because that could be another positive, if they have prior experience in something similar.

I wasn't familiar with the principals at AM II, but knew Bob Johnson & Jack Higgins at AM I pretty well, & you're indeed correct on their lack of funding. With Salvino Models, since most of us have no real info regarding them, & are in the dark about much here, I have no way of knowing about their funding of course. As an aside, where AM was located in Charlotte they was about a block away from an injection molding company I worked for as a teenager! Laughing

I still remain skeptically optimistic, but I knew March wasn't a valid target, & I suspect April may not be either. I'm thinking with the typical delays aside from not dealing with an overseas tooling facility, sometime around August might be a better goal to shoot for.

And, I'd rather see the project delayed until they have things as accurate & correct looking as possible. For example, I love Moebius' figure kits, & have seen them progress in detail very nicely. The only Moebius auto kits I've purchased so far, (& keep in mind that virtually all of them are of subjects I've long desired), are the NASCAR Hudsons. Those were the only ones that met both my wants & my accuracy criteria, though the 65 Plymouth may join them, as it seems to have fewer issues than the rest of their automotive kits, especially the sedan.

My biggest disappointment with them is the 56 300. That is my all time favorite Chrysler 300 as far as styling, & to see the chopped appearing top & protruding headlights carried over from the 55, & coupled with a rear end that was far too narrow when compared to the 1/1 car kept me from buying even one. I'd wanted a model of the 56 300 at least since the mid 70s, & anticipated this one more than can be expressed. When I got to see an open one at a local hobby shop, as nice as all the details under the body were, that inaccurate & misshapen lump of a body made me close the lid & hand it back to the guy running the shop.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by DaveVan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Bluesman Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
From my conversations with folks in the industry 'Salvino's' prior work was toy and hobby items for other companies and consumer goods. Automotive kits are a very different animal for sure...but they sound have a basic idea of tooling time frame.

On a side personal note. What years were you in Charlotte.....and did we meet??? Seems we were in the same circles at time. I just talked to Bob J a week or so ago. Doing well and retired......
thx

Well I'm originally from Gastonia, & lived there for 39 of my 1st 43 years on earth, discounting my 4 years in the Air Force. I moved to SW Iowa in the summer of 2005, right before turning 44 in Sept.

I worked in Charlotte when I was a teenager, (at that injection molding company), & then again for eight years at Kolortex, a dyeing & finishing plant on Horseshoe Lane, right by Douglas Airport, after I got out of the Air Force. I was also a member of the Road Knights MCC in Charlotte circa 2000-2002, as well as being a member of the Gaston Auto Modelers & Gaston Model Builders clubs, (the latter was an IPMS club), over the years. Also I spent eleven years working for Freightliner in Mt Holly.

Plus I spent a lot of time, (& money!), at Deb's Model Car Emporium in Matthews & Flashbacks Automobilia in Charlotte, (where the Road Knights met at when I was a member). I also frequented John's Toy & Hobby Shop & Great Escape Science & Hobbies, (not the same company as the Great Escape hobby/bike shops in the Spartanburg area), both in Gastonia, as well as Ready To Run Hobbies in Harrisburg & Earl's Speed Shop in Gaffney SC.

Between my working in Charlotte & the surrounding area, & my parents going to Charlotte all the time when I was a kid, & taking me, I knew my way around it pretty well!

Our paths may have indeed crossed at some point.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had to cross.......
Road Knights grew out of informal meetings at Toy Circus store at Park Road. It came from Mike Frank and I just hanging out.
Later I was a partner with Deb in the DNL Hobbies era. I even filled in at times at Flashbacks.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesman Mark wrote

Quote:
I moved to SW Iowa in the summer of 2005

Where in SW Iowa?

I'm in Northern Iowa, a bit west of center, tiny town of Fenton about 20 miles NW of Algona...
Bluesman Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Bluesman Mark wrote

Quote:
I moved to SW Iowa in the summer of 2005

Where in SW Iowa?

I'm in Northern Iowa, a bit west of center, tiny town of Fenton about 20 miles NW of Algona...

I'm in Shenandoah, right next to the MO border & just east of NE. Hwy 59 runs right through town, & we're about an hour SE of the Council Bluffs/Omaha area, the closest big city to us, & where we tend to go 2-3 weekends a month.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, know where you're talking about......

Been through Omaha various times traveling to and from Southern Calif and later, Albuquerque, flew into Omaha a few times as well, then rented a car for the rest of the trip home....Used to be an airline that flew from LAX to Milwaukee, with a stop over in Omaha, so for me the flight was non-stop....
But have never really gotten off the interstates, outside of to and from the airport....
Bluesman Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Yep, know where you're talking about......

Been through Omaha various times traveling to and from Southern Calif and later, Albuquerque, flew into Omaha a few times as well, then rented a car for the rest of the trip home....Used to be an airline that flew from LAX to Milwaukee, with a stop over in Omaha, so for me the flight was non-stop....
But have never really gotten off the interstates, outside of to and from the airport....

Omaha has a pretty thriving hobby scene. Two model car contests are held each year, the Mid America Nationals in October, & the Nebraska Challenge, which is this upcoming Sunday, the 18th. Nebraska Autos In Miniature is the local club that puts on the former show & assists with the latter one.

One of the best & most honest vendors in the hobby is based out of Omaha, Star Models, ran by Steve Kohler. I know him personally he's a great guy, & I can highly recommend dealing with him. Google "Star Models" & check out his site.

There's even a genuine, old fashioned hobby shop, devoted to car modeling, in the area. AK Collectibles, who is also a great vendor as well. AK is an impressive place. It's like a regular well-stocked hobby shop but 98% of the stock of kits is vintage stuff, resin, and a "serious modeler" supply selection. Frank & his wife who run it are also great people, & again I can recommend dealing with them, & they have a website too, also a FB page.

Plus Bob Hanner, an admin here lives in Omaha, though we haven't crossed paths yet.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get my PM??
Bob Hanner
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omaha?? I may have heard of it a time or two. Razz Razz Razz
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
BVAUGHN wrote:
Who is printing their decals?
Bill

Mike says Chartigraph.

The Picture I saw at Model Round up says Power Slide..
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Slide uses Chartigraph as their printer.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I see they have a Monte in the works..
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Bill 2 wrote:
And I see they have a Monte in the works..

This is delightful news for NASCAR modelers. I hope these sell very well.
tharrison351

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

Not to criticize, I just want to clarify. Are we talking about the Italian decal company Cartograf, or is there another company using a name that is close to their name?
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tharrison351 wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

Not to criticize, I just want to clarify. Are we talking about the Italian decal company Cartograf, or is there another company using a name that is close to their name?

Mike says that Powerslide will be doing the decals, so it's the Italian printer Cartograf.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Salvino said the decals are definitely coming from Cartograf and he told me last week the delivery of the decals is several weeks behind but they will not hold up the kits.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tharrison351 wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

Come on guys......who really thinks Mike/Powerslide uses two different printers with names Chartigraph AND Cartograf????????
Common sense says I mis-spelled the company name. I know it is the first time something was not spelled correctly here on Randy's so it may have thrown some off. Sorry. Crying or Very sad
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

however its spelled they are the ones doing the decals
Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading all the bluster about the body line, I looked in the photo thread above and noticed that the line "looks" pretty soft in some of the photos. Whether that was due to lighting, paint schemes, or actual differences in the body lines in unclear to me, but we all know that NASCAR teams fudged whatever they could get away with back then. From the mid seventies, I recall front ends of some cars being sliced and diced to be a little narrower, among other things. Don't know how exact the inspectors were over that particular line back then, but there does appear to be some discrepancies in the photos.

The way I look at it, if it's not obvious in the photos of the 1:1 cars, is it that big a deal on a model? To me, not so much. If it really bothers me I can fix it.

The rear suspension is a little baffling to me - if you're starting from a clean slate then why not make sure the research is done and correct before committing to plastic? But if they are going to include correct suspension in future kits, I'm OK with it. I can actually fix the suspension for this release, probably grab it from an '90s NASCAR donor kit anyhow. No biggie, as long as it's corrected in future releases.

Just my 2Ē....
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good 2 cents.......
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
After reading all the bluster about the body line, I looked in the photo thread above and noticed that the line "looks" pretty soft in some of the photos. Whether that was due to lighting, paint schemes, or actual differences in the body lines in unclear to me, but we all know that NASCAR teams fudged whatever they could get away with back then. From the mid seventies, I recall front ends of some cars being sliced and diced to be a little narrower, among other things. Don't know how exact the inspectors were over that particular line back then, but there does appear to be some discrepancies in the photos.

The way I look at it, if it's not obvious in the photos of the 1:1 cars, is it that big a deal on a model? To me, not so much. If it really bothers me I can fix it.

The rear suspension is a little baffling to me - if you're starting from a clean slate then why not make sure the research is done and correct before committing to plastic? But if they are going to include correct suspension in future kits, I'm OK with it. I can actually fix the suspension for this release, probably grab it from an '90s NASCAR donor kit anyhow. No biggie, as long as it's corrected in future releases.

Just my 2Ē....

Outstanding perspective. It's just a model car. It can be fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: