Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about decals over lacquer paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danh4

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Question about decals over lacquer paint Reply with quote

I'm working on Salvinos Frank Fleming modified and I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to car models but have a lot of aircraft modeling experience. I used Tamiya lacquer paint for the first time to paint the body panels and waited a week before decaling to let it fully cure. I'm now noticing that the adhesion between the decals and the lacquer is very poor, just cleaning out the holes where the nerf bars mount results in the decal in that area lifting off completely. I'm now worried that they will all curl up and fall off within a few months. Forgot to mention that I sprayed on 2 good coats of Future a day after the decals were applied, but I wouldn't expect that to help with adhesion anyway.

Is it a bad idea to apply decals directly to Lacquer?

-Dan
WR

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having the same issues and it's just with Powerslide and Ace decals within a few weeks the start to curl up at the edges and some come off. Didn't know if it was something i was doing but i have models built 20 years ago with Slixx decals that are still perfect as the day i put them on.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at a car that was painted with a Tamayia spray and has Power slide decals on it for over a month and it was fine. Before applying decals, I usually wash the car with a little Dawn dish liquid and warm water. If I have any doubts, I apply a setting solution to the area with a cotton swab and place the decal while still wet.
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It most likely means that the surface was not smooth enough for the decals to adhere to. If there is any orange peel at all they are not going to want to stick down.
lefty1820

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Uh? Reply with quote

Uh? wait a day? wait a week? wait a month?

I can primer and paint with lacquer and have decals on later the same day!

I always follow-up paint with Testors Glosscote no matter if acrylic, enamel, or lacquer. Airbrush Glosscote an hour or so later. Decals an hour after that. Once dry I apply another coat of Glosscote.

Been my method since 1989.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: