Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

resale value of old Nascar kits...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: resale value of old Nascar kits... Reply with quote

do any of the Monogram/Revell kits have much in the way of resale value. I'm talking after the Lord art work and prior to 2001? The Monte Carlos and the Luminas.

and do I remember there being an issue with the later versions of the T-Birds?

Is there any value at all in the Taurus kits?

I know that's a lot to digest, but I'm curious if they are just better off going to recycle? Laughing Laughing

Kidding about that of course, but I have so many of them that it's ridiculous to not sale them. Is the Trading Post the best place to sale them?

Thanks
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I found 3 cases of Elliott Melling TB kits at a Medical wholesaler. I paid $1 each kit is I bought all 3 cases. When NASCAR was super hot I sold them on ebay for $75 each. Today that same kit, mint sealed, MIGHT bring $20 on a good day. At a model show 2 weeks ago I sold 89 Thunderbird and 90's Monte Carlos for $5 to 8 each.....and sold only a few.
I do not know of any of the vintage kits that still bring the same money as a current kits MSRP. Not sure what I will do with the MANY kits I still have!!!
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding T-Bird issues, every kit that i have bought of the “mail slot” Birds have a warped body. Every. Last. One.
Matt T.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Matt Kenseth DeWalt Taurus (2004?) is the Taurus that's worth the most.

It's tough getting rid of kits, especially in bulk. It's a problem I think will only get worse as many of us age off the planet and leave behind hundreds of kits each!

I have had good results using the Trading Post here, pricing kits to move. But I haven't tried Revellogram Nascar kits. I think those are a tough sell anywhere (except for the DeWalt Taurus I mentioned).
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt T. wrote:
I think the Matt Kenseth DeWalt Taurus (2004?) is the Taurus that's worth the most.

It's tough getting rid of kits, especially in bulk. It's a problem I think will only get worse as many of us age off the planet and leave behind hundreds of kits each!

I have had good results using the Trading Post here, pricing kits to move. But I haven't tried Revellogram Nascar kits. I think those are a tough sell anywhere (except for the DeWalt Taurus I mentioned).

The Dodge kits seem to be easy sells too. Mike’s has them priced near $50 when he has them.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the Newman Dodge different than the others?

Also I seem to remember there was a Ford/Dodge front end swap....was it the Dodge to the Ford or the Ford to the Dodge? And what was the reason? I think I did one, but I can't remember which way it was or even why I did it...Guess I'm just part of the herd!

So builders were swapping the "Mailbox" front ends to the older bodies? Do I have that right?
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
Was the Newman Dodge different than the others?

Also I seem to remember there was a Ford/Dodge front end swap....was it the Dodge to the Ford or the Ford to the Dodge? And what was the reason? I think I did one, but I can't remember which way it was or even why I did it...Guess I'm just part of the herd!

So builders were swapping the "Mailbox" front ends to the older bodies? Do I have that right?

The Newman Dodge was 03-04, the Elliott Dodge was 01-02, not sure about the Sterling Marlin kits but i think his kits cover both.

Can’t speak about the Ford/Dodge swap.

And i did see a Davey Allison build that swapped the Bird front ends, can’t remember if it was new nose to old body or vice versa. Think it was the 89-93 front end on a mail slot body.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And i did see a Davey Allison build that swapped the Bird front ends, can’t remember if it was new nose to old body or vice versa. Think it was the 89-93 front end on a mail slot body.[/quote]

Joe Oteri cut a mailbox slot T-Bird half way down the fender at the cowl, then forward into the wheel well. Then he grafted the early 90's front end to it. Looked real good, plan on doing one myself.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the Joe Oteri conversion was the one, so, with out me going out to the toy box to look at old kits, what's the difference besides the nose?
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
yeah the Joe Oteri conversion was the one, so, with out me going out to the toy box to look at old kits, what's the difference besides the nose?

It’s a completely different, updated kit. I think the only thing that the kits share is the wheels.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is my building interests changed. What I was into 20 years ago is not what I'm building these days. The last two times I thinned out my stash I donated them to the local VA Hospital.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll not say who, Gary may know, but not long ago at the Salisbury model show I was offered an entire AMT 90's era collection for $1 each if I took all 500. I passed on the deal. Laughing Laughing
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had success renting table space at an IPMS show in Huntsville one year, I treated it like a garage sale totally underselling the other vendors, which didn't exactly go over all that well. I had sold the whole inventory in about 2 hours time. I did OK, My wife helped me and acted as the cashier, which prevented me from buying more stuff. None of it was collectors stuff, just common kits I was never going to build or had lost interest in. I sold nearly half the kits to one buyer and accepted an offer on the last 15 or 20 kits.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donated 150 of these kits several years ago to our SC School for Deaf and Blind. At least that way I could take the price I bought them for as a charitable donation on my taxes. A lot better than $3-8 a kit they were selling for at shows.
Bill
Papadoc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: resale value of old Nascar kits... Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
do any of the Monogram/Revell kits have much in the way of resale value. I'm talking after the Lord art work and prior to 2001? The Monte Carlos and the Luminas.

and do I remember there being an issue with the later versions of the T-Birds?

Is there any value at all in the Taurus kits?

I know that's a lot to digest, but I'm curious if they are just better off going to recycle? Laughing Laughing

Kidding about that of course, but I have so many of them that it's ridiculous to not sale them. Is the Trading Post the best place to sale them?

Thanks

Lots of questions and some have been tackled.. but I'll hit a few more I guess.

The Taurus kits are extremely common-On the plus side there have been some gorgeous sheets of decals recently made to fit these cars, so at least theres some new stuff out there.

I think the trading post here is a good place to start, but not limit yourself. The thing with the trading post here is that you are reaching a fairly limited group. I would also try Craigslist and Facebook marketplace.. less hassle than shipping them and no fees attached so you can pocket all you get for them, even if its not much.
TonyK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come across this subject before and think one problem with the lack of value is that all of us that are into these kits already have a big stash and no one else has any interest. You might get someone who will come along and want a NASCAR model for a change of pace but they aren't going to pay much for it.

I still see kits at a swap meet where the guy thinks he's sitting on a gold mine yet the models never sell.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess in 30 years every one will be trying to unload their Salvino kits for pennies on the dollar.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my experience, I'd guess the AMT T-Birds are little more than parts cars these days. Those seem to be the worst of the worse.

funny, in many ways I think the AMT kits were better than the Monogram kits, One piece bodies, and in the case of the Pontiac and the Lumina, they just looked better to my eye. But what do I know, I'm the one sitting on a bunch of worthless models! Laughing
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AMT Pontiac was more correct, even Monogram said their Pontiac was wrong....made to fit the Buick chassis. I do wish we had a GOOD 1/24 Pontiac GP. But the AMT kit is SO MUCH smaller it look odd nect to a Mono 1/24.
Papadoc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
I guess in 30 years every one will be trying to unload their Salvino kits for pennies on the dollar.

I doubt that one. Salvinos seem to have a pretty good control on production and are not overproducing models.

The NASCAR boom of the 90s-early 00's went seriously out of hand. Not just people who liked NASCAR, but people buying stuff as collectors hoping for a future worth. It really diluted the market to the point that even people with REALLY nice stuff from the time period have trouble offloading it.

I think they just made way too many of the NASCAR models back then, people like us were buying them and they met the demand with their supply. But we overbought and they overproduced which is why you probably will take a loss on your kits.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the AMT kits for building 60's and 70's late models. They provide a decent start for a chassis. I can get them at swap meets for $5-$10 a kit.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papadoc wrote:
Crime Dog wrote:

I doubt that one. Salvinos seem to have a pretty good control on production and are not overproducing models.

The NASCAR boom of the 90s-early 00's went seriously out of hand. Not just people who liked NASCAR, but people buying stuff as collectors hoping for a future worth. It really diluted the market to the point that even people with REALLY nice stuff from the time period have trouble offloading it.

I think they just made way too many of the NASCAR models back then, people like us were buying them and they met the demand with their supply. But we overbought and they overproduced which is why you probably will take a loss on your kits.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't think Salvinos is showing all that much restraint, Olds and Monte Carlo kits are sitting like Palmer kits at my LHS. and the Camaros must have at least 12 different versions already, I suspect the Mustangs will be the same. The Charger has seen at least 3 versions already. I don't know what the production numbers are, but I would agree that they have produced nearly the amount that we saw in the 80's.

Spotlight hobbies the other day in a response to a poster said that they can't sell the new cars and wouldn't be carrying them and as I mentioned the Olds and MC can be had for about 1/2 of the original price at my LHS.

The Buddy Baker grey ghost seems to be the exception.

In fairness, I'm a somewhat outspoken critic of the Salvinos kits so I'm not very objective when it comes to Salvinos. but your point is well made about the AMT kits.

And yes, I use the AMT kits for late model chassis as well, but I don't plan to build dozen of late model cars.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
The AMT Pontiac was more correct, even Monogram said their Pontiac was wrong....made to fit the Buick chassis. I do wish we had a GOOD 1/24 Pontiac GP. But the AMT kit is SO MUCH smaller it look odd nect to a Mono 1/24.

Huge difference in the Cutlass' too......but I don't think either manufacture got that one right, the front ends on both couldn't be more different, and both got it completely wrong. The earlier Monogram Cutlass or Delta 88 or what ever its called is perfect...well almost anyway.

Some how we all seemed to overlook the many shortcomings of the Revell kits.
The original Buick to my eye and the Monte Carlos SS and notchbacks were perfect, then came the next generation Buicks and..... Jeez!

It was as bad as the original Ford T-birds!

I'm not really complaining as much as it sounds like I am, clearly I wasn't that bothered by them when I bought them. I do wonder if the internet and social media had been a thing in the 80's if we would have not been more critical.

I had lots more disposable income in those days, dropping $20 on 2 kits wasn't that big of a deal, plus I NEVER was buying models for a retirement investment. I don't care if I sell them or not, if I still have them when I die it'll be my Nephews problem as he's the only heir.

as a joke I keep cash in a couple of boxes and have told him I store cash in my models so he'll have to open up every box to look for it....at least this way they'll get one last chance at being looked at after I'm gone! Laughing :lol

and who knows, maybe he'll see something he likes and will keep a couple of them. Surprised
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In support of the 1983 Monogram Thunderbird. The model is perfect!!!!
Saying that it is a perfect model of the PROTOTYPE car build LONG before a single street 83 Bird had been built. Built by Banjo Matthews from stampings FORD sent him that were pre-production. FORD pushed Monogram for a kit to be ready near the 83 Daytona race and thus we got a model of said prototype and not a CUP car.
Kit designer Bob Johnson wondered about some aspects of the 83 Bird, having done the design work n the Cup Buicks first, but FORD told him they'd get the flush headlights and other odd queues that ended up in the kit.
JR's could team up with someone and design a 83-86 Bird that is much closer to what was raced. Done right you could have at least 4 versions in the tooling. But.....I am just dreaming.

SOME fixes applied to the 83 Bird....

TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan, What are your thoughts about the chassis accuracy of these cars, both the Banjo Matthews rear steer and the Mike Laughlin front steer? I really enjoy those models no matter the accuracy. Just wanted the opinion of someone that was on the ground floor of design. Thank you

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original two chassis were pretty good. They were limited by budget. Monogram did not think the NASCAR kits would be much more than 4 kits that would sell OK. They did not see the explosion of sales to come. Thus the kits are simplified in some areas. No springs on the front of the Buick, cross over headers not used by many, etc. Bob was a Ford fan and it shows a little in the FORD chassis. Slightly more detailed but needs a little more work to sit correct.

All things considered both kits rate very well when you know Monogram just considered them a one time shot with OK sales.....and a tooling budget to match.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Dave, I really appreciate it. As popular as NASCAR racing was, it's crazy that Monogram didn't expect higher sales and a longer run.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1981 when the idea of doing all new tooling for NASCAR kits, NASCAR was just getting over the down sizing of the cars, manufactures were out of the sport. (Ford teams had to send off to AUS for blocks) Things were not so great. The NASCAR explosion was about to happen....but not yet.

When it did hit it was unreal. i was in the hobby biz at the time and we could not keep things in stock. Every Monday I'd order stock. And the first on the order sheet?? Monogram #2900........DE Sr #3 Monte Carlo.....we sold 6 cases a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: