Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/32 MILLE MIGLIA 1931 DIORAMA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smart64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: 1/32 MILLE MIGLIA 1931 DIORAMA Reply with quote

Hello from Vienna,
i have started big Project, a different theme for a Diorama, rarley seen.
i will build a Scene from the 1000 miles Race 1931 trough Italy. This was held from 1927 on to 1957, 1000 Miles in one Day ! then it was cancelled, much to dangerous a race on normal Streets with also normal traffic, there where severeal heavy Accidents and dead People. Today this "race" is a historic Event , held on the classic Route but in 4 days.

I will use the old Matchboxkit Mercedes SSKL as Rudi Carraciolas/ Werner Sebastians (Mechanic) Ride to Victory and a much older , around 1966, kit from Pyro for the second placed Alfa 6c with Giuseppe Campari behind the Wheel and his Mechanic Attilio Maroni. Also two Airfix Kits, the Alfa 8C and the Bugatti 35C, both will be convertet to the Car Version i need.

Here is how the Matchbox Kit look, for the Age and Scale not so Bad , i have seen Carkits in 1/24 from Today they look not as good....some Flaws are here, so the fenders where a dark Red not Black, some Details are a bit crude

Well the Alfa is another Thing, the overall Dimensions are right, but crude Details. See the 2 half Wheels, no Spokes just plain Plastic......

The first Thing to change are the Wheels, i will use etched Ones with Alurims, a bit complicated but ....see yourself
EDIT # Those Wheels are not made by me ! They are from Peter Seager- Thomas.

I want a Drive-trogh-town-scene so i try a few MiniartKits and a Verlinden Relief fassade

First i altered the Italian Townbuilding. A lot of Sanding requiered since this Kits are Vacuformed and have some faults and round Edges.....and to line up the 2 Wallsections is a challenge too Shocked

Well the vacukits from miniart took more Work then expected, and i altered two of them a bit.
So the italian Building will not have the big Balcon, i moved the inner wall forward, will add a small balcon like on the Verlinden Building.

So it should look, Boxart

Paper Mockup

Work in progress

Size Comparsion Verlinden-miniart, Minart uses much bigger Windows and Doors.....

First try with the full Scale Buildings

I added the Royalmodel Sicilian house to the Project, i like the Shape. As most of the offered buildings, this is a plaster made ruin, so i must first rebuild it to not damaged. But only after glue the broken Walls togheter, like a puzzle Shocked ....i manage this with Lego and patafix , making a partial Mold, then pour Artist Plaster in this, a little Sanding and voila....

So here it is glued togheter with out the Stonebench before the Wallfountain.

With that i play around with the Layout. The Cooktop is the Size, so a bit of the House to cut off. The Small one on the Right side will be a little Church.On the Left Side i think on the Alfa 8 C with tirechange, nuvolari suffered from 9 changes on this race, the SSKL in Front , behind the Alfa 6c and in the Doorway the Bugatti.

Last edited by smart64 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
smart64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a rethinking and some input from Firends i found a funny pic, a italian Petrolstaion in the 1920', this i want Smile

So i ordered the beautiful Kit from Modelvictoria

i will also use a verlinden kit "French Bakery" , its a massive Plaster part, so very heavy. I used it as a "Blueprint" fpr a new Scratchbuild

I rebuild all other Buildings also out of Kapaline Foamboard.
Two Reasons why, the Verlinden and royal Model Kits are heavy and massive , the Issue with Miniarts way too big Windows/Doors and the Fit of the Parts is cruel.
I remove the Cardboard from the Foamboard after cutting all Openings, carved and pressed the Stones and cracks with a Graficcutter, hard Pencil and a engraving Needle. its pure Fun to work with this Material, very easy to cut, engrave , pressed and sanded. Lets see how it takes the Paint.

For the, Don Camillo, Guys , who don't know the Name Giuseppe Bottazzi called "Peppone", its the Citymajor in a Series of Italian Movies from teh 50ies-60ies, called "Don Camillo and Peppone" In this Movies a Priest and He are the Main Characters, still very funny !

Oh yes Don Camillo, will have also a Place on this Dio...😉 a small Church, where he hold his sermons 😉
The Bells are originally for Shipmodels, this are real Brass. They would become a wooden Suspension, also a real wood Door will be there.
The Figure is from miniart set "French Civilians"

Based on the Verlinden kit, i made a little reminiscence of the Local, http://www.datrombicche.it , where we have a great Time in Siena.It was a bit more Work then the others , but i think it looks not so bad and is way lighter Very Happy

Added the little resin part that comes with the Kit

And in comparsion with the Originalpart

All together to show the size

Work continious with a new Doorway

smart64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then the Paintfun begin with Peppones Workshop. First a very light Gray, then dufferent Shades of Yellow and orange, Washings and so on. All done with Acrylics, the Foamboards dont like Oils.....
i added some Prints, found in the WWW and Windows, Doors and Shutters from Miniart, cut down to fit and detailed with Metalrod etc etc. Detailing for the Rooms because this House will be open at the back . Its a Bunch of cut to Fit Miniart, Verlinden, Plusmodel and Eduard etchings .
Started with model Victorias Petrolstation, build up like a photo from Siena , 1930.

Peppones Workshop Sign is also there, as some Period Correct Advertisments...

Next Steps are the Detailing for the Rooms because this House will be open at the back . Its a Bunch of cut to Fit Miniart, Verlinden, Plusmodel and Eduard etchings .

First the Workshop or Office, nothing Special, only Scratchbuilded Wallmounted telephon.

on the first Floor comes the kitchen, the Verlinden Stove is altered to a Gasfired One with small Copperrod and some Waste Plastic.A little but very lovely Detail is the Coffeemill.

[![Bild innenkh2dzjim.jpg auf abload.de](https://abload.de/img/innenkh2dzjim.jpg)](https://abload.de/image.php?img=innenkh2dzjim.jpg)

The nice Sewingmachine from Plusmodel was also a must bhave

On to the Livingroom

smart64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other Side i placed the small Chapel for Don camillo Wink with real Wood Doors and Brass Bells from RC Boats. The bells i weathered with Modern Solutions, they will get verdigris. Then a bit of Washing , Etchframes and Wood Supports.

Beside the Church i place a Doublehouse. The Osteria and Caffeteria are based on real ones , the " Da Trombicche " in Siena, very nice ! and the "Il Cantuchio" in Castellina in Chiant, also very nice and both have good Food and Wines Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

On the left the Original Verlinden, right the New One

To see if the Colors are not too bright i placed it on the base, think its good.

The Front for the Osteria , made out of Balsawood, added some Advertisments from this Timeperiod and a Menucard.

And i cannot resist , i added a little Joke. In one of the Don Camillo Movies, there is a Cartoon painted on a Wall, it says "Freshly Painted". This is Restored and can still see in Brescello, where this Movies made. I painted it Free Hand with a Fineliner.

Next Step are all the Floors. I made them with carved and scratched Evergreen Sideboarding. From Miniart comes the Dark ones , the small Room between the Roofs will be changed to a Bathroom.
Floortiles for the Loacals carved Plasticard.

For the Furniture i used Sets from Plus Model, very massive "sprues" and altered Miniart Parts.
The Typewriter is a small Scratchbuild.

i've covered the ugly "Window" With a wooden Billboard, made with a Piece Balsa and some Matchsticks. All the Advertisments are Scans of the real ones from 1930/31. Very Happy

Untill waiting for some Ideas how to finish the Rooms, i started the Painting on the Doorway. This is also Carved foamboard and Part of a Verlindenkit.The Verlindenpart raised about 1cm from the Bottom, the Doors are too Narrow for 1/35, with a temporary Mold and plaster.

Doors where made with Balsawood and Matshsticks, the Windows are H0 Parts

Much work is done, but much more is waiting Very Happy

A bit of Colorwork....the Windows are Resin from the VerlindenKit, they where warped and have "full Size"
Castingblocks on the Backside, much Sanding and with boiled Water correctet.

For the Doors, build Handles out of Historex Figure Parts. A little Pigment adding and this is ready to go on the Diobase.

smart64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to take some pics with the House in its Place on the Dio..and i chance some Things in the Barroom, addeed some Posters.

Converted and detailed the Verlinden Doors, blend in the Houses and finetuned some details. And some Views how it should look finally.

Still a Long way to go but i get a Interview for the Employee magazine of Viennas Governmant...... Very Happy

A few Pics of the finished Doorway and some Interiorshots

After the testing how the Houses look togehther, i dont like how massive the Corner Building( Royal Models Sicilian Ruin...) look. So i buil it partially new, use only the Stairway and the Well. Also the Small Tower, its easier to build it new than altered the Verlindenceramic .
First A pic how the Corner come out and how i made it into a "Full" house.

For my Eyes it looks to massive with its plain Walls.

So the Wreckingball come in....

And with some try and Error , i came up with this, thas the look i wanted. A bit of Chaotic "Skyline"

Comparsion between the Verlindenceramicpart and my Foamboard Build

And the Painting goes along.....

h[img]ttps://abload.de/img/123sk7z.jpg[/img]

smart64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groundwork/Diobase is nearly done, added some "Water" to the Fountain, Faller Seafoil and a heatet Plastikrod, some Foliage and Testfitted a garbagebin, note the Cat Wink Playing around with a5€ Fisheyelens from China.......

All the Shutters are done, very much and hard hard Work . The bad Verlindencopies are warped, Bubbles everywhere, the Miniart ones must be cut down to fit, between the Slats much of exess Plastic, Seamlines and so on....and i added somthing like a handle or locking mechanism aut of Wire and Pins.
Next Step would be the Streetlights, with some "Glass" , these are from Miniartparts. The Wallmountings are nice, but only one Side engraved....

So the Streetlights work, i added some "Glass", grinded Clear Plastic.

A Friend give me the Idea to Light the " deep Rooms on the Right. So i build out of Scrap and a Needle the then very popular, Bankers Table Light and a bigger Floorlight. Inside them a very very tiny SMD LED do the Lightig.

I remove the Wooden Roofconstruction, i was not happy with , also with the Mould and casting from Js Modelwork. I buy Resin Roofings . So i can take some better Pics of the Rooms.

Here will take some Furniture place

Outside i added the typical Clothes line, once again sonme scrap Parts for the Hinges and Plusmodelresinparts.

As i wrote before , iam not happy with the Rooftilecastings. The Js Modelworks mould is a 2 Partaffair, i didnt make them equally thick. And the Mould is straight, not Conocal. So a try a Verlinden Part. After 10 Colors and Washings , i like it Wink

And something funny, a Adverisment for Magneti Marelli from 1930, found on a Auction in the www.

Painted the first Roofs.....and soonly the Roof is on, the Pigeons pooping on it..... :eh:

From a Bucket, a Carrim and a Bowl i build some Lights for the other Rooms, ....

I used really fine Copperwires, they go throug the Wall and ouside in the electricboxes , i let the solder seams disapear in these Boxes, just like in real Italy... Very Happy And i didnt tell you , that this dont functions at first try.... :eh: :sst:

But then there comes the Light :love:

For the Chapel i use a flickering LED

Well the Rooms on the Left side, will be without light, thea are too shallow for a good Lighting.

Too bad, on the Phonepics the Lights are way rtoo bright, in real they are much darker.
Beside this i built the first figure out of Miniartparts, dnaked Feet from Preiser, the Houseshoes from Plusmodel the Coat and the hair from Magicsculp

https://youtu.be/VBcTmrn9NVA
smart64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint the first Figures, made them out of several Miniartparts and from srap, the Youngsters are from Mantis and the Girl in the Bathroom is old Verlinden Figure. Painted with Acrylycs and oil, not so good as most others here, but for me its good enough.
Also completed the Italian Style Electriccable Salad Mr. Green

For the Balcony i ordered a 3D Print and also a 18+ Gag, not sure if i used it really I want a little Sidestory , better a Gag, dont like when Modelling goes to seriously. So i ordered this....

A few Words about the Pavement.I received real Stone mats with single Stones ( http://www.ch-kreativ.eu and www.jokerrügen.de ) for the Pavemant and some Rubber Molds. This Molds are a bit to "crude" more for the Military modeller, so i used them only for the Curbs.

For the Sidewalk on the House with Arcades i used the big brown Plates. I carved them to smalle ones, this is very easy but a bit messy. Also i carved 2 Strips of small Tiles to add a bit variation on them, clearly seen on 3rd Pic.

On the Cornerhouse i added curbstones, made with the Rubbermolds out of plaster. the round "Hole" will hold a little Tree. The Rain Drains are Lasercut Cardboard from greenline, for the Roads i use 2 different size of Cobblestone. To add abit high for the Sidewalks i glue thick cardboard first on the ground, then the Stonemats.

Different Resincastings from Left to right Verlinden, Model Victoria and Macone. The small One left Foreground is a upgraded Miniart Vacupart. The Model Victoria Parts have full detail all around, so i added some Wooden beams on all others to simulate the Roof truss. Paint 'em with 5-7 different Orange to dark Brown Acrylics, then 3-4 different Washes.

smart64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now the first car. A Airfix Bugatti 35 B, try to modified it to the 37 A . Its the only Car on this Diorama i couldnt find out anything more than the Drivers names, what Car it was and the Racenumbers, so its a bit Fantasy. First thing i close the Hole on the Bonnet, that was for the Supercharger fittet Eingines, and sand down the Radiator to imitate de small ones fittet on the T37. All other ist straight from the Box, only added a Winsdshield, Wire Brakelines and Lights. These Lights are prewired SMD LED , the smallest on the Market, powerd wit ha 12V and KSQ . The Mudguards where on a Photo from thr 1932th Car very small, so i think it was a year earlier, sand them down and change the brittle Plasticrods to wire. Changed the Airfixdriver a little bit and scratched from various Parts the Codriver with a Immense Miniatures Head. OK lets see the Pics i hear you yell...here we go Wink

on to the Spraybooth..............i used Vallejo Aircolor and a Clubfriend prints the few Decals for this Project.

A few Etchparts for the Hoodbelts , the Belts itself are Tamiya Tape and a Metalring for the Tirestrap on the left Side, thats all additional Parts.

and at last it sits under the Doorway with aEnginefailure....the Smoke is made out of a little bit Cotton Wool

One of thr Spectators a bit too Enthusiastic, dropped his Beer.....

https://youtu.be/DdAJ3dqe6V8

now going on to the next Car, Airfix Alfa Romeo 8C.
TonyK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm awe struck! Everything. Just fantastic!

Thanks for sharing as I spent a lot of time being entertained by your great modeling skills.
smart64

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyK wrote:
I'm awe struck! Everything. Just fantastic!

Thanks for sharing as I spent a lot of time being entertained by your great modeling skills.

notworthy Thank you Mate !
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, now that's impressive. Thanks for sharing this wonderful creation. Stunning is not a strong enough acolade for this.
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!!
I have to add, the Matchbox 1/32 kits are excellent. I recently built the Aston Martin Ulster, I started it many years back, intending to somehow recreate the wire wheels for better detail, but after having it shelved for all that time, eventually went with the kit wheels.
Great job on those wheels!
smart64

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again ..wave
Hope i get the next car ready untill Xmas.....its a hevy modified Airfix Alfa 8C.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I am astonished by the skill and detail. You are a master!
smart64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guys Very Happy after some Weeks of gluing, carving, casting, painting, some Try and Error Issues, the second Car get near finisch. its a Pyrokit from 1966, it should represent the famous Alfa Romeo 6C1750 GS Zagato with Giuseppe Campari on the Wheel.. The overall Shape is not Bad, but due the Age of this Kit, Details are rare or simply not there. So the Wheels are 2 Plasticdiscs with engraved, but not see-throug Spokes, only the Driver Side Door was there, the Spare Wheels sit way to high on the Reardeck and so on. So all on the kit, thas not red, i have added. Casted some Side vents, added Wire for Steering and Breaking Linkage with Parts from old Tankkits and so on. Figures are altered ones from Penelepoe Pitlane.The Rims are absolutly Stunning Turn Alloys with Etched Spokes from Peter Saeger-Thomas Have to rebuild it partially, after i killed the superthin wires on one Side , so the "Lamps" dont light up..... .still a WIP, but the Finishline is near.

This Car has a Light for the licensplate also. I recreatet it with some Brass from a Etchpart and a small Tube.

Brass Tubes , in this case square ones, also used for the Frontlightbar

The Cooler is also a bit Weird, so a real Mesh got there. In reality this was a bit before the Cooler, but there is simply no Space to do it right....

First try how it looks and if the Lights are functional

After this Test, I also recreate the Windowframe with add-on Side Mirror/Lamp , the Original Kitpart looks simply odd.

fresh out of the Paintbox and after the Rebuild

So only the Cockpitlight is nearly invisible. lets see if i can make it a bit brighter.

Kind Regards from Vienna !
smart64

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guys :wave: Today i managed to get it ready for the diorama. The "Devils Eyes" where a real Challenge............an the folded Roof....build something like a Frame with thin Wire and added self Adheshishe Plaster.

First Try how it Looks on the Street....

Next Step are the Pilots, Alfa has fitte his Drivers with very professional dark red Overalls.I try to get close to the Original.

Now for the "Devils Eyes" , they are a Legend, but nothing more than Dustcovers. Removed for Nightdrive and use the Headlights. After some Trys with heated Foil, i go with Furniture Stoppers. For me they do the Part. Too Bad , the LED bent a bit so the little Alfa squint a bit. The Parts are so secure cemented , i cannot correct this Sad

Added etched Handles and Fittings,

Last Lighttesting, than the Wheatering, and its Ready Very Happy

FORZA ALFA !

And now up to Airfix' Alfa 8C, dont know how to make those Mudguards.....
Kind regards !
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stare at that thing for years if I could. It must be "willed" to a museum when it's appropriate
smart64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fozziebear wrote:
I'd stare at that thing for years if I could. It must be "willed" to a museum when it's appropriate

hello and Thx for your kind Words !
here is a bit more to stare at Wink

smart64

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a not so fine Spring and bad Summer, my Mother passed away in Peace, i managed to go on with the second Alfa. This represents the Works Alfa 8C 2300, on his first Outing in the Hands of Tazio Nuvolari and Luigi Arcangeli, who did not finish. Nuvolari leads at first, but he had 9 Tirechanges, because the also new Pirellis didnt stand up to the Powerful 8C. I found in one of my Books a Pic that inspired me and so i t goes on.......
One of the many Tirechanges.

So i began a Monthlong search for the only known Plasticmodel , the Long Wheelbase Alfa 8c from Airfix. A very old Kit. After i catch one, i was a bit surprised by some very good Details and on the other Hand some crude Simplifications. But the first Step was to shorten the Chassis, this was very Easy , because Airfix get it right with the Beams. So you can cut it whre it was on the real Car.A bit difficult was the Body. Here i cut a Stripe out, set the Moulding for the Sparewheels a bit back and down. Then begins the funny Part, Putty and Sanding, Putty and Sanding,....and so and so on.

Here you can see the Difference between the Long/Short Wheelbase

Then i scratched or better copy with a Mould from the Pyro 6C the Mudguards. The Airfix Kit comes with the correct 4 seperate Guards.Also scratched a Oiltank in Front of the Cooler and Sidevents.

I also norrowed the Oilpan, Airfix made it way to wide. And i added a bit of a Tankkit to simulate the seeable Part of the Gearbox.

After testing the Headlightphalanx, Carjack and the Figure , i found out that my Mudguards are way too flat and . I used the smaller Wheels from the 6C as a Reference...AAARRRGGGHHHH :sweatdrop: .....back to the Start.....

For the new Mudguars i use the Casted Rearends, Cut-to-Fit Miniart Merceds 170 Pars, Plasticcard...and yes a Ton of Putty and sanding and putty.....

After this Desastercorrection, i detailed the Chassis. The Kitpart for the Frontaxle is a crude Square Rod without any Detail. I add small Halfround Evergreenparts on the Ends, Pins and small Plasicparts for the Brakelines, the Steeringparts and the Sabilizers. Also for the Rearaxle . This i reinforced with a Wire , because the Brakedrums are real Aluminiumparts . They come in one more Set of Wheels from Peter Saeger Thomas,
The Wheelset

The Frontaxle

And yes this Car is also Lighted Very Happy

Also build a Carjack out of Brasstube and Wire with Wheels from a 1/72 Tankkit. Throug this the thin Wires go under the Diorama to the Powersupply.

Before i paint this little Thing, i added 3d "Nuts" Decals in Lines on the Bonnett. For the Paint I go with Vallejo Firered , this is a bit Brownish and dark. I think it matches the Old Alfared , described sometimes " a Color like Oxblood.." relativly good. Decals are once again from Brentair Custommade.

A complete Windshield is Also made with the Kits lower Part, some L Profile, Brasstube, quick release from a Italerie Tankkit and a Miniart Wiper.,

Hope you enjoy it !
regards from Vienna
Harry
smart64

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mates :wave: After 2 Exhibitions, aand a Covid Infection , at last i added a few Details. First the Hood fasteners. build from 2 Etchparts each Shocked a othe Part simulate the strut for the Middle Headlight. remodelling the Runningboards with carved Thin plasticparts. And one more Time i use Furniture Door Stoppers for the Red Dustcovers. The Left would be removed by a Mechanic. Paint them with Tamiya Clear Red, for the Chromeparts i use grennstuff Chrome for brushes, this is fantastic ! Glued the Frontwheels with a slight Angle, so its not mentonied that they are a bit too Big or the Fenders too shallow. Lights are all ok, so the next and last step is weathering .

Kind Regards
Harry[
smart64

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally its ready for the Dio, Tazio Nuvolari standing beside the car, his co Batista Guidotti reaches over the Hood.

Now i try to find the right angle on the Dio.
Happy Modelling to all Very Happy
smart64

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello one more time Very Happy
A few Pics how it looks on the Dio, a few Figures around the Car will follow. A Photographer , another manager and mechanics.
First one of the "Managers"....

Lets get 'em back in the Race !

Sorry for the Blury Pics, just Mobilephone....try to get better ones the next days.
Regards from Vienna Wink
smart64

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added 2 more Mechanics and a "Manager", here are a few pics with all Figures and Accesoirs in this Scene.

Regards from Vienna Smile
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a MONSTER sized undertaking. Well done!!
smart64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank all !
Before i start the Matchboxkit Mercedes SSKL, i add a few Pics with 3 more Figures added. The Photographer, reminds me of the famous Julius Weitmann, Sister Maria and Don Camillo Wink

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict0905dkfai.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict0907zgicb.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict0908oqclv.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict0915bicje.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict09165mfsq.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict0914pvf4j.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict0917j6c16.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict0918t0di3.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict09202y6eri.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict09205qf5f.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict0922xgeqp.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict0927pgc5b.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict09257wcpf.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=pict092639du1.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=altrdue6s.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=alto94fyb.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=altd2dfb.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=altv3nieh.jpg"][/url]

[url="https://abload.de/image.php?img=altsnpivn.jpg"][/url]

smart64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and happy new Year to All ! I started with the last Car, Matchbox Mercedes benz SSKL. Its a nice little Kit, but it has serveral Flaws and Errors. first for the MM Car there are too much Holes in the Frame. the Box on the Passenger Side is way too small, and the 3 Tubes ? are completly worthless. The real Car has a 3poninted Jerrycan and 2 Carjacks there. Also the Frontaxle is wrongshaped, the Brakedrums lack any Details, the rear ones are Part of the Rims also. So first i get out the greenstuff Putty to close the uneccessary Holes. the i put on a thin Wire around the front Leaf Springs and also a bit putty . this is to imitate the Fabric that was around them on the real Car. Then i made new Brakedrums with a circular cutter and out of brasstube and a bit Plastic the newe Dampers. Also scratche the whole Steering with parts from a Tank and thin soldering wire.

Now my Eyes hurt.....🤪
smart64

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i added some Nuts, 3D Decals, and Screwheads, cut from a Tankkit, on the Front Dampers and Brakes, added the Brakinglines and detailed the Steering with cutdown Tanktowing eyes.Hope you like it a bit Wink

Thats it for now, iam thinking how to wire it invisible
smart64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another detail is nearly done, the Geralever and the handbrake. Matchbox made two crude Plasticsticks,that comes out of the Floorpan. On the real Cars, the Gerarboxtop isn't covered , you can see this relativly clear. I build this Feature witha small Plasticplate, some Nuts from aTankkit, the underside of Matchbox' Gearlever, Evergreen profile, my "loved" Clothpins , Brasstube and Rod, and a bitTinfoil. The later is a bit too big, i will cut this down a bit.
Here is a Studioshot , around 1931 and two pics how it looks on a restaurated SSK/SSKL.

And that is my Try, think its look okay.

After all this very tiny Parts, i added one more and also very very small but clearly visible. The front Crossmember with integrated Lamppost and starter crank support. Matchbox done this as a Rod witha crude ring on it, simple and wrong. So one more Time done with 2 Parts from a tank, Brasstube/Rod and a bit Plastic.
Left one is the new Build, right the original matchbox.

regards
Harry

Wink
smart64

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello M 😄 ates a small Update on the SSKL. First i added a bit Plasticcard over the nice Detail on the Gastank, Matchbox made this good, but on the Originalcar there was a Sheetmetal installed. Recreate with Plasticcard the Sheetmetal under the 3 Exhaustpipes in the Bonnet. They must me flush with the Bonnet. The Exhaust was made out of a bit brasstube, slightly bend and on the End pressed Flat.Also added the body piping with thin Aluminiumwire. I rebuild the Mudguardmountings with Brassrod and T Profile. not 100% but way better than Matchbox. Also with Brasstube , 0.9 mm and 1.4 mm created the Headlight Mounting. The lights self are from ELF, not entirly correct but i want to install lights, you know.... Razz This was a Pain in the Axx....fiddling Work, last thing Today was the Registrationlighting also Brasstube.
The Lights are once again SMD LED , around 0.5 mm "big".......

Next is the Licenseplate and hopefully all Parts stood where they are, the Airbrush come out Wink
smart64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another fiddling Pimp Up...the Softtop and Linkage are only rudimentary plasticblobs. So i cut it down, add on each Side 3 small Brasstubes, 0.7 mm flat pressed on one end, and a Small Part U-Profile, with a Pinhead i simulate the Hinge. The remind of the Softtop covered with some Fabrictape to add a bit of Surfacedetai. And then i added 2 Strips of crap Etchframe and etched Buckles.

Very Happy a bit of refinement and then i hope to get paint on this little Monster....
smart64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello one more Time Very Happy First testing the Lights.....Then i added the last Details. The Quickrelease Gascap, pimped the Kitpart with small Copper and Brass Wire/Tube,scratched the Licenseplate and Nationalityplate, Mudguard "Extensions" and the Stoneguard before the Radiator. Not entirly 100% correct, but i think it looks not bad.

Regards from Vienna :wave:
smart64

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Details done, new Toolbox, a "Jerry"can from Miniart, both with Tamiyatape "Belt" and etched Buckles. New Quickreleases for the Fuelfiller and the Sparetires with Copper, Brass and the cutdown Kitparts, and of Course the Figures. These are a Mix of immense Miniatures Feets & Heads, Bodies from Penelope & MRRC,and Arms from the Crapbox. To blend the Codriver in, i use putty from Greenstuff. The belt, Buckle and small handles on the Enginecover i will mounted after Painting.

Funny Fact, not a Single Manafacturer , no Matter if its a Diecast or a Kit, got this well documented Car right. Even the 19.000 € Amalgammodel is Wrong and incomplete, all made too much holes in the frame, wrong or simply not there Details. So i try my best to get as close i can. Some Parts are a Compromise, such as the Tires, with a 3D Printer this would be simple, but i don't have one Shocked

Greetings Very Happy :wave: Very Happy :wave:
smart64

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mates, since the SSKL is still in the Body-and Paintshop Very Happy i post a Video , how far i gone until now.
Hope you enjoy it a little Bit Wink

Datei von filehorst.de laden

or on YT

https://youtu.be/MxX0yINpnj8
smart64

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hello Mates
First Paintcoat is drying, so i added some more tiny Details.

First the Penelope Pitlane Steeringwheel gets a bigger Hub and the 2 levers for ignition and mixture adjustment .

Also added the 3pointed Star on the Pewter Knockoffs

Next was the Rear View Mirror, that is only good visible on the Studio Shots same Car after the Nürburgring Race. The MM Pics are retoched to death or simply bad Quality. Only on one frontshot you can see clearly there was a Mirror.
Here on the mille Miglia

Same car and Driver oon the Nürburgring

And then 2 Carjacks, if I am not wrong, on the Sideboard. On the Photos not really identifiable, i found on ebay a Jack from that era. I think its not far away from the real thing. First Pic show the Real ones vs the Amalgam Model. The later looks a bit odd.....

This is the Ebay One

And my Tryout

Jerrycan and the Hood got etched Buckles and some paint

I hope i got it Very Happy
smart64

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mates Wink
here's a little update. Its a very timeconsumpting kit, much more Work as the Alfas and the Bug. And i was on an Oldtimerrally with my Club, i haven't a oldie but a very rare mart Roadster Coupe Razz ....So here is at first the "pimped" Exhaust. Added to the Kitpart a Brasstube, sqeeze it Flat on the End to recreate the Fishtailexhaust like the Original. Added 3 Suspensions from Meatbox-Alufoil, painted with different Alclad metals. The Chromed anifolds are painted with Greenstuff Chrome for Brushes, a fantastic Paint !

Next i painted the tank cap also with Greentstuff.

The Radiator get a new Stoneguard out of Eduard Etched Mesh, Evergreen strip, a etched selfadheshive Star and a Roccopart for the Lockbase whre the KitCap fits in.

i sand down the Leather Strap on the Hood and recrate it with 3M Tape ( the same Stuff as Tamiyas, but much cheaper! ) added 4 Etchparts.

Then it was Time to Paint and assemble....still a lot to Work.....

Some Setailwork and the Hood, the come the fun artt, the Weatherring..
smart64

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mates, hope you all have a fine Summer Very Happy !
After a real hard Time to finish this bastard of a Kit , i present the Result. Painted, Decals, lights and so on i have described in my postings before.
I adedd some Handles, made with leftover Tankkitparts and Plasticard, also hoodstrechers ,each out of 3 Etchparts. And the Leatherstrap around the hood is made with Tamiyatape and 2 Etchbuckles.

Painted, all Parts fitted

Here a Detail that Matchbox got totally wrong. Scratchbuild Toolbox, a "Jerry"can from miniart with etched Buckles and Tamiyatabe for the Straps, and my scratchebuil Carjacks.

Now the Funpart, Weathering with cheap pastells and very thinned Acrylics

[![Bild 20230721_181111l1ezq.jpg auf abload.de](https://abload.de/img/20230721_181111l1ezq.jpg)](https://abload.de/image.php?img=20230721_181111l1ezq.jpg)

Last Parts where the Windscreen, changed the "Bulletproof" thick Parts from Matchbox to thin Packagingplastik. The Pilots are also fitted, tthe Raceglasse filled with Whiteglue to simulate real Glass. All like on the Models before.

Lights on, all ok Very Happy

and finally on its Position on the Diorama.

And If someone wonder what happens to the Bugatti ........
smart64

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....after i fitted the SSKL i test all the Lights, fixed some Flaws, then i see the Desaster.......the Tires on the Bug and the Alfa broke and crumble into dust. This Tires are MRRC Slotcar rubbers, harder then all others and now hard as Stone.Never had such issues, i have 25+ Years old Slotcars from all manufacturers, none has this problem. And on the Way to rescue the little bug, the Frontaxle broke....near to "death from hammerstroke" i lay it beside and build 2 other Lamps for the non lighted Rooms.

Time to relax, so i build to floor lamp out of Brasstube, 1/87 Carrims , a 1/87 Flowerpot and a resin Kitchenbox. lighted with a SMD LED.

And now brainstorming about the Wheels...........
smart64

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mates, after a few Months , there is light on the End of the Tunnel.....a friend of mine has Converted the STL for the 1/12 bentley to fit the Bugattirims. Looks fine so far, a little Sanding and Whoaaa.....

I think i use the same for the Mercedes, a bit taller , now iam searching for a File for the Pirellis on the Alfa. If sombody can help ?

Wish you all a merry Chrismas and a Happy new Year !

Kind Regards from cold Vienna
Harry
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Holidays!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: