Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeff Gordon 'The Winston' trio (97-99)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slipster17

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject: Jeff Gordon 'The Winston' trio (97-99) Reply with quote

This set of three has been on my list for a while and I finally had the opportunity and motivation to complete them all this year.

1997 - Jurassic Park the Ride - Revell kit, Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red paint, self-design entirely custom decals. This was just completed this past week and was my final (12th) build of 2022. My initial plan was to 'bash' the Revell kit decals and the Buck-Fever Racing kit decals (by Slixx) together to create something more closely resembling the real car. But the more I looked at them.... the more issues I found with things like contingencies, associates, the placement of the number and dino skeletons..... so I finally got up the nerve to put my graphic skills to use and plot out my own decal sheet being as accurate as I could. Printing of the custom waterslide decals were handled by the fine folks at Fusion Scale Decals. Yes, the numbers DO have a real neon overlay as well!

1998 - NASCAR 50th / Chromalusion - Revell kit, House of Kolor KF-05 kameleon paint, Slixx decals with some supplemental associate sponsors added that the Slixx sheet lacked. The paint was a chart match for the original and discontinued true Dupont Chromalusion paint. Not much to say about this one - it's iconic! I lucked out and found a 120ml bottle of the HOK paint, airbrush ready from a supplier on ebay. It wouldn't look this good any other way!

1999 - Superman - Revell kit, GreenStuffWorld 'Darth Blue' colorshift airbrush paint, custom decal collaboration between myself and 3Amigos Decals. Another one where the right paint makes all the difference. This was my first build of 2022 and started out with just the Superman graphic for the side. I had drawn that asset to use on a Sim Racing paint scheme I was working on at the time and after sampling some of the colorshift paint from GreenStuffWorld I REALLY wanted to find out if I could put the graphic to use on a real model. I contacted Sam at 3Amigos and showed him the graphic I had and asked if he might be able to take that, plot the rest of the decals around it and make a sheet suitable for printing. He did just that, and let me see behind the curtain on his process a little bit. Assistance from Sam is a big part of the reason I was able to produce a few of my own decal sheets by the end of the year. So, while this particular design is mostly his work - I can't thank him enough for his knowledge and encouragement in 2022.

[/b]
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set!!!
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
Keith Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful collection !
Papadoc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all amazing, but the Jurassic Park car really pops out at me and is soooooo good.
Vdc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great looking trio, but that middle car is a standout.

Yellow over an almost brown (?) metallic, really pops👍.
bighoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trio -all look great
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAT TRICK! All very nicely done!!
ENGINE28HAZMAT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow fantastic! Wish I had half the skill
Slipster17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vdc wrote:
A great looking trio, but that middle car is a standout.

Yellow over an almost brown (?) metallic, really pops👍.

https://i.imgur.com/gJdgTDA.mp4

You can see it a little more clearly in this video - it is actually a true colorshift paint. Although NOT the actual Dupont Chromalusion (even if it wasn't discontinued it was stupid $$$$$$$$$$) it is a competitors product that is a near perfect match. It shifts across the spectrum between Gold and Magenta.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: