Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model King 71 Cyclone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Model King 71 Cyclone Reply with quote

Getting ready to build an one of these and was inspecting the kit. To my eye, the tires seem way too small. Any wisdom to share here?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reissue tires are a little small. They are the only ones RC2 had at the time we did the kit. I'd get PPP wheels and tires. My box stock build
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave...
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test fitted some of the old MPC stock car tires under it. They looked accurate to me. If I'm not mistaken the MPC tires are two different sizes, I fit the wider of the two.. And the PPP tires and wheel combo look very nice also.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice build.......

wish I had bought all the original issues when they came out. Why I only bought the Petty Ply. I don't know.....
john843

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just my faulty memory or did the original MPC stock-car-only kits such as the Isaac #71 come with wider rears and somewhat narrower front tires? It seems like I remember noticing that waaay back when I only had one so it wouldn't have been a case of having mixed them from different kits yet.

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Is it just my faulty memory or did the original MPC stock-car-only kits such as the Isaac #71 come with wider rears and somewhat narrower front tires? It seems like I remember noticing that waaay back when I only had one so it wouldn't have been a case of having mixed them from different kits yet.

John

Four wide same size tires in all original series. Tires were altered for the Buick, Pontiac and Chevy 80's kits.
john843

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I swear it seems like the first race kit I ever owned, the #71 Isaac Daytona that came molded with the wrong door louvres had tires like I described above. Also it seems I remember them being more "plastic-ky" than the ones like the PPPs were molded from.
Must be having a senior afternoon:)

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Thanks Dave. I swear it seems like the first race kit I ever owned, the #71 Isaac Daytona that came molded with the wrong door louvres had tires like I described above. Also it seems I remember them being more "plastic-ky" than the ones like the PPPs were molded from.
Must be having a senior afternoon:)

John

SORRY......the First issue of the Issac DAYTONA DID have two sizes......I thought you were talking about the MPC series of Cup cars....the DAYTONA was not part of that series......sorry about that!!! Shocked
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote

Quote:
I thought you were talking about the MPC series of Cup cars....the DAYTONA was not part of that series..

Not part of the original release of the MPC series, a year or so later MPC did come out with the Dick Brooks 1971 #22 Daytona. had options for both "small block" and Hemi.
MPC also released a Petty Dodge around the same time. Did have it, but was so disappointed with the body, that i ended up tossing it out. IIRC the Charger body was a straight issue from the street version, as in no altered fender openings and the street version of the gas cap door, not the race version....
Still have the #22 Brooks version stashed away somewhere...

used to have the MPC original issue of the #71 Isaac Daytona......IIRC that kit came with a stripped down(?) interior tub......unlike the generic chassis the were issued with the following NASCAR series a year or so after MPC released the Isaac #71
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brooks kit had the generic/HM type chassis and a completely retooled body. The #71 Issac was street based kit with bucket interior.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
The Brooks kit had the generic/HM type chassis and a completely retooled body. The #71 Issac was street based kit with bucket interior.

I don't believe it was completely retooled, just further modified. The first issue of the K&K car still had the '70 R/T scoops over the door scallops. At some point they went in and restored the door scallops during the K&K kit run. Then they added the grille mesh over the left headlight door for the Brooks issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: