Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino JR NextGen Camaro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Salvino JR NextGen Camaro Reply with quote

Has anyone built one of these NextGen Camaros yet? What did you do where the roof rail stops short of where it should? Was going to glue a plastic strip there but to match it up, it is very thin.

thenderson0728

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I’m on about 6-7 of them now. Personally I left it as it. Too thin like you said and didn’t feel like messing with it as I knew I wouldn’t be happy with it. Lol
bigryan18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.060" L angle but you have to shave alot off, it's what friend did
jaws1972

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thenderson0728 wrote:
Yep I’m on about 6-7 of them now. Personally I left it as it. Too thin like you said and didn’t feel like messing with it as I knew I wouldn’t be happy with it. Lol

I agree, too small to add.
catpack68

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t realize that the roof rails stopped short.I will have to fix that before I start on mine.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastruct 3/64" angle is what I've used on a couple Gen6 cars and the NextGen Camaro I'm working on. Cut all the kit rail off and replace everything.

https://plastruct.myshopify.com/products/90001-a-1-pack-of-10-copy

It's made out of ABS plastic, so it's a little more brittle than traditional styrene. Not sure if model cement will bond it to styrene, I tack it down in a couple spots with super glue and then a quick bead of thin.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
ENGINE28HAZMAT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread, but those of you who have built them, have you had some fitting issues too? And how does the ride height look out of the box? Do any adjustments need to be made? Thanks.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit has a few quirks to it. Fitment and overall quality could be better, especially for a kit in this pricepoint.

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=5269

Out of the box the rideheight is good; but the margin for error in the suspension is frustratingly small so if anythings off or not glued solid, it will get thrown off.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENGINE28HAZMAT wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but those of you who have built them, have you had some fitting issues too? And how does the ride height look out of the box? Do any adjustments need to be made? Thanks.

VERY important to clean flash/parting lines.
big_al40

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Next Gen Camaro Reply with quote

I just started working on a #16 AJ Allmendinger Camaro (using MPR decals) when I read about the short roof rail. Thinking about it, I think I came up with an easy (5 minute) solution. I needed it to be easy as I had already painted the body!
I used a metal edged ruler and fit it tight to the inside edge of the existing roof rail. With this as a guide, using a fine razor saw I made a groove in the roof (about a half inch long where the extended strip would be put. I had a strip of Evergreen Strip Styrene (#115 - .015 x .100"), cut about a !/2" piece and carefully glued it into the groove. With a little sanding, to form the contour, I find it hard to see the piece added with the existing roof rail.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they use a diecast for the molds on this? Are the roof rails short on the diecast versions? just wondering.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Did they use a diecast for the molds on this? Are the roof rails short on the diecast versions? just wondering.

No. They made their own molds
jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always do. Seems like it doesn't matter if it's a new tool or old, you always have some cleanup to do.

Pat Redmond wrote:
ENGINE28HAZMAT wrote:

VERY important to clean flash/parting lines.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Next Gen Camaro Reply with quote

I was thinking something along the lines of cutting a small groove and gluing a piece in but, wanted to see what others might have done.

big_al40 wrote:
I just started working on a #16 AJ Allmendinger Camaro (using MPR decals) when I read about the short roof rail. Thinking about it, I think I came up with an easy (5 minute) solution. I needed it to be easy as I had already painted the body!
I used a metal edged ruler and fit it tight to the inside edge of the existing roof rail. With this as a guide, using a fine razor saw I made a groove in the roof (about a half inch long where the extended strip would be put. I had a strip of Evergreen Strip Styrene (#115 - .015 x .100"), cut about a !/2" piece and carefully glued it into the groove. With a little sanding, to form the contour, I find it hard to see the piece added with the existing roof rail.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the machinist missed it, or it wasn't in the files that were sent to Jim?
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Bill 2 wrote:
I wonder if the machinist missed it, or it wasn't in the files that were sent to Jim?

The file used was as per NASCAR CAD files.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reference pic here. Looks like there's seams along the rails.

MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing one of these done. I'd like to do one of each trackhouse cars that haven't been made into diecasts.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Looking forward to seeing one of these done. I'd like to do one of each trackhouse cars that haven't been made into diecasts.

Just saw Martinfans builds. They look awesome in the showroom.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:

I think there are rumbling s of those being done 2,550 run.( I saw something on FB), you'd have to look on their web page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: