Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1966-67 Fairlane questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jh63fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: 1966-67 Fairlane questions Reply with quote

Reading the Fairlane and half chassis threads motivated me to build Andretti's Daytona winner.
What do I need to do to back date the Polar Lights frame and get it to fit the AMT 1966 Fairlane.
In the thread is a picture of a 427 with dual fours and 4 into 1 headers next to Pearson's car. Would this be correct for my project?
Thanks for any information and help, my knowledge is lacking on this era.
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to answers on this.
C5HM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966-67 Fairlane questions Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
Reading the Fairlane and half chassis threads motivated me to build Andretti's Daytona winner.
What do I need to do to back date the Polar Lights frame and get it to fit the AMT 1966 Fairlane.
In the thread is a picture of a 427 with dual fours and 4 into 1 headers next to Pearson's car. Would this be correct for my project?
Thanks for any information and help, my knowledge is lacking on this era.

Ford teams got to run 8V induction from 1966 through the 1968 season (Mopar teams got to run 8V induction for part of the 68 season). This was a concession originally made to mollify Fomoco when the Cammer was only allowed to run in 1966 in the full sized line and with a one pound per cubic inch weight penalty. Fomoco teams ultimately boycotted the series. But the 8V rule stood. So the photo you reference is correct. HM cars ran flat collector headers as pictured in the thread. The photo in the thread shows a slightly different style "dump" down stream from those headers though. The black and white shot in the thread that shows a car mid flip shows the correct dumps. I can provided some more photos if any one is interested. I no longer have a photo hosting service. Send me a PM with an e mail address and I will share the photos.
C5HM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent a group of Fairlane photos to AFX via e mail. Perhaps he will be able to post there here for all to see?
afx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From C5HM:

Here are some shots. The first three are of my own HM Chassis. It began life as Hutch's 67 Fairlane and finished up as Bobby Allison's 68 Torino. The main difference between the two years are the two top bars on the passenger's side of the cage. Those were added for 1968 by the rules.

Fairlanes being built at H&M

Survivor Lorenzen Fairlane. (Note: Seat cover is wrong...should be champagne)

afx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM wrote:
Just sent a group of Fairlane photos to AFX via e mail. Perhaps he will be able to post there here for all to see?

Happy to post any photos you share C5HM.

Last edited by afx on Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What incredible reference photos, thanks alot, both of y'all.
On your restoration, who's car are you doing?
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see the photos, but they come up as blue boxes with a question mark in them. Is this a problem on my end?
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!!!!
jh63fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the two "devices" next to the fire extinguisher and are they on all HM cars of that era.
afx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to include this photo from C5HM

afx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the PL chassis under my MPC Mercury Cyclone build. Can anyone confirm this suspension setup would be appropriate for the Fairlane?

C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
What are the two "devices" next to the fire extinguisher and are they on all HM cars of that era.

The blue rectangular box with the handle and the hose running out of it is part of the Ansul dry powder fire system. It should be red. The dry powder reservoir is behind he driver's seat. The red fire extinguisher is a modern addition installed by the new owner. The little blue handle is the shoulder harness inertial release lever. I have never seen a half chassis H&M car (1966-1971) that did not carry both components.

Last edited by C5HM on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afx wrote:
This is the PL chassis under my MPC Mercury Cyclone build. Can anyone confirm this suspension setup would be appropriate for the Fairlane?

Pretty accurate actually. Two things though: 66-71 H&M half chassis cars did NOT have a solid under engine cross member. Instead they use a bolt in cross member. Check out the pictures above. The dry sump reservoir should NOT be in the right front however. It should be mounted in the interior of the car behind the driver. One more thing, usually HM half chassis cars used an electric powered "Water Puppy" rear end pump that was mounted in the rear passenger's compartment. The rear end mechanical pumps were used on earlier H&M Galaxies. Let me know if you need photos.

Last edited by C5HM on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
What incredible reference photos, thanks alot, both of y'all.
On your restoration, who's car are you doing?

I am restoring HM8-033S to its configuration at the 1968 Daytona 500 where Bobby Allison came third behind Cale and Leeroy's Mercurys.
afx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="C5HM"]
afx wrote:

Pretty accurate actually. Two things though: 66-71 H&M half chassis cars did NOT have a solid under engine cross member. Instead they use a bolt in cross member. Check out the pictures above. The dry sump reservoir should NOT be in the right front however. It should be mounted in the interior of the car behind the driver. One more thing, usually HM half chassis cars used an electric powered "Water Puppy" rear end pump that was mounted in the rear passenger's compartment. The rear end mechanical pumps were used on earlier H&M Galaxies. Let me know if you need photos.

Would love to see the photos. If you email them to me I will gladly posts them to the thread. If you could also include photos of the right side header.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM....

I know you are an H&M expert and collector. I read on another board that ARCA driver Brad Smith claims to have an old H&M chassis. He is trying to locate stampings etc. to authenticate it in order to sell it. Not sure if that would be of interest to you.
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
C5HM....

I know you are an H&M expert and collector. I read on another board that ARCA driver Brad Smith claims to have an old H&M chassis. He is trying to locate stampings etc. to authenticate it in order to sell it. Not sure if that would be of interest to you.

Hello Dennis,
Brad's PR guy contacted me the other day. It sounds like someone has sold Brad a Bill of Goods about the car he has. That car is/was a 90s Bowsher chassis. Jack built his own cars from the 70s on (after H&M shut down and Ford got out of racing). He was fond of using H&M switch plates in his cars...must have had a box of them. That may be where the misfire is. But a switch plate does not a Holman Moody car make. Hopefully Brad did not pay big bucks thinking the car was actually built at the airport. Could of happened. There are way too many unethical people out there and way too many fake race cars have been built and foisted on unsuspecting or too credulous victims. JAC
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="afx"]
C5HM wrote:
afx wrote:

Would love to see the photos. If you email them to me I will gladly posts them to the thread. If you could also include photos of the right side header.

Just sent some more half chassis detail shots. Hope they help out. One general note to the guys on this board. Regal Ride shocks were NOT yellow until the 70s. They should be either black or blue.
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will ask again. I can't see the photo's, a blue square with a question mark is all that shows. Any help?
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Brothers Junkie wrote:
OK, I will ask again. I can't see the photo's, a blue square with a question mark is all that shows. Any help?

Send your e mail in a PM and I will forward the photos sent to afx Can't help on the computer problem. It must be on your end, though.
afx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From C5HM:

Watery Puppy rear end cooler.

Ansul "Purple K" dry powder fire system.

With war bird inertia reel shoulder harness system.

Rear suspension.

Bolt in under engine cross member.

Lorenzen Fairlane

Under Stroppe Torino

Fairlane dash. With stock dash pad.

Many of the original Fairlanes that were converted to 1968 Torinos and Cyclones kept their 67 Fairlane dashes. My car was in that number.

Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I hear something happened to the beautiful #6 64 Galaxie you finished awhile back?
C5HM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len Woodruff wrote:
Did I hear something happened to the beautiful #6 64 Galaxie you finished awhile back?

Hurricane Harvey happened to it. Luckily I had a LOT of stated value insurance.
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM wrote:
Len Woodruff wrote:

Wow. Thanks for the update.

Is it salvageable? If it is then I guess you have to have the "want to" to rebuild it.
C5HM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len Woodruff wrote:
C5HM wrote:
Len Woodruff wrote:

Is it salvageable? If it is then I guess you have to have the "want to" to rebuild it.

I lost six other cars, two motorcycles, my house and my shop...and everything in both that was not four feet above the floor (that included just about ever tool/welder/compressor etc in the shop). It took a full year to get the house rebuilt. During that time I lived in either a hotel or an apartment...with no place to work on any project of any size. Did not have a shop to work in until I retired and moved to Florida and built a new shop two years after the flood. I shudder to think what condition the car would have been in...it was full of water over the carb...after marinating in that caustic stew of flood water for that long? And...where could I have even stored the car for all that time? Nope...it had to go.
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM wrote:
Len Woodruff wrote:
C5HM wrote:
Len Woodruff wrote:

I lost six other cars, two motorcycles, my house and my shop...and everything in both that was not four feet above the floor (that included just about ever tool/welder/compressor etc in the shop). It took a full year to get the house rebuilt. During that time I lived in either a hotel or an apartment...with no place to work on any project of any size. Did not have a shop to work in until I retired and moved to Florida and built a new shop two years after the flood. I shudder to think what condition the car would have been in...it was full of water over the carb...after marinating in that caustic stew of flood water for that long? And...where could I have even stored the car for all that time? Nope...it had to go.

Sorry to bring up the sad memorys. But thanks for the update.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dr Craft for the new photos!
Bill
C5HM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Thanks Dr Craft for the new photos!
Bill

Any time Billy. Since 86ing Fascist Book, I find there aren't too many places to scratch my old stock car itch (outside of my own shop). But that is the price I am willing to pay to stay far away from Social Media. It is a cancer on out society and it will get worse before something is done about it. I just will not let man bun wearing, twenty three year old little California deviants presume to grade my papers...or support their efforts to rank other people in any way.
afx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original issue of the Fairlane kit had more accurate windshield and rear glass openings. With subsequent releases the height of the openings are too low. You should modify them as described in Bill Coulter's book.

For comparison body on the left is as it comes from the kit, body on the right has been modified.

From the kit:

Modified:

Original issue:

Last edited by afx on Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:10 am; edited 2 times in total
jh63fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I seen the article and was wondering why he did that.
DarylH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent info! I just started a Fairlane last night.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the windshield and back glass, why did AMT change it, especially if it was right to begin with?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
On the windshield and back glass, why did AMT change it, especially if it was right to begin with?

The original issue he was referring to was the original '66-'67 annual kit issued in those years. All the "new tool" '66 Fairlanes have the incorrect window openings.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up.
Also, thanks to every one else who helped out. That's why I joined this forum, the members here seem to be willing to share information. The other boards are like "look at what I did, now pat me on the back"
herbert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Bill Coulter book? I bough "Stock Cars model Kit Encyclopedia and Price Guide" it has an story "Building a 1967 Ford Fairlane" in it. Cover chassis mod. Thanks for all this information.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Building and Detailing Scale Model Stock Cars"
It has a red cover and a picture of Dale Jarrett's Thunderbird on it.1998 publish date. Might be able to get it thru Kalmback.
afx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a sticky at the top of this that has the Fairlane Half Chassis pages copied and posted.

Here is the link

https://postimg.cc/gallery/s2bJwRM
DarylH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten that book. I think my '64 Dodge is in there.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the H-M cars from that era appeared to have black roll cages. What color were the interior panels, bottom chassis and did they paint the engines or leave them natural. Thanks
C5HM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
Most of the H-M cars from that era appeared to have black roll cages. What color were the interior panels, bottom chassis and did they paint the engines or leave them natural. Thanks

It varied from car to car and race to race. Some were natural. Some were painted. Lorenzen's Fairlanes were blue all over inside (excepting the dash panel) and underneath in 1967 for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: