Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K&K Charger 1972 - Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: K&K Charger 1972 - Question Reply with quote

Anybody know the location of the diff pump and oil tank in the '72 K&K Charger? They are hidden here:
odcics2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Nichels chassis re-skin.
Axle cooler is on the floor, behind Isaac.
Oil tank would be behind LF tire, in the engine compartment, and over the battery.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:
Oil tank would be behind LF tire, in the engine compartment, and over the battery.

Thanks!
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:

Here's a setup by Cotton Owens. Don't recall the year this was taken, and cannot say for certain if this is exactly the setup used by Nichels, but it should give you some idea of how one of the Mopar teams handled this issue. This is a dry sump tank.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane wrote:
odcics2 wrote:

Here's a setup by Cotton Owens. ...

Thanks! I know I saw that image somewhere - back in a previous Randy's life. I think there was a nice build someone did of a Daytona which included that feature.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:

Thanks! I know I saw that image somewhere - back in a previous Randy's life. I think there was a nice build someone did of a Daytona which included that feature.

You are correct sir. That would be the "Wingcar Seminar" conducted by a very talented and completely committed wingcar enthusiast and unfortunately for us, a former member of this board. His input and knowledge have been sorely missed since his departure many years ago.

That being said, that seminar is on my restoration list, so it will be making a comeback of sorts. I have a copy of it on my computer with most if not all of the photos.

It was never completed by the author however, and I've reached out to a source whom I thought might have been able to help inquire if the author would be willing to finish it but unfortunately there has been no response.

So look for it soon. Like the other threads I've restored, it will probably pop up in a raw form, then I will refine it over time to make it easier to read and follow. It is an excellent tutorial on how to build these aero-mopars! And hey I'm a Ford-guy so if I like it, well you get the idea.... Very Happy Very Happy
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1/16 Petty, and Baker kits should get you pretty close if you have one of those kits. Fairly accurate kits, but maybe not exactly like Nichel's, or Owen's builds. But, in my opinion close enough for a starting point.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
The 1/16 Petty, and Baker kits should get you pretty close if you have one of those kits. Fairly accurate kits, but maybe not exactly like Nichel's, or Owen's builds. But, in my opinion close enough for a starting point.

The 1/16 seems to follow Petty's '73, with the oil tank in the rear interior, but the Nichels car from '72 was skinned over an earlier Charger, with the oil tank behind the LF wheel well. I have been trying to match what's in the Isaac car in the picture.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Firefly - forgot to include these links in my previous thread.

Winged Warriors/National B-Body Owners Assn.

http://wwnboa.org/about.htm

Aero Warriors
http://aerowarriors.com/cgi-bin/banxner/home.cgi

Both sites are veritable "gold mines" of info on Mopars. The Aero Warriors site also has lots of info on their Ford/ Mercury counterparts.

Here's a forum you may find informative:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=36206.0;all

In particular, pay close attention to any posts by a member who calls himself "Aero426". He used to be a member of this board and is very knowledgeable in regards to Nichels Engineering and Mopars in general. If you join, I'm sure you can get most of your questions answered.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Jerry
odcics2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane wrote:
odcics2 wrote:

Here's a setup by Cotton Owens. Don't recall the year this was taken, and cannot say for certain if this is exactly the setup used by Nichels, but it should give you some idea of how one of the Mopar teams handled this issue. This is a dry sump tank.

Cotton got his cars from Nichels, 68 until end of 70.
The pic is of the other Nichels built speedway Daytona that Cotton had.

***NOTE: Cotton moved the tank to behind the driver in his '69 Nichels built short track Charger 500. That car became the #6 Showcar Daytona, by adding a street Daytona front clip and wing.***
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:

Cotton got his cars from Nichels, 68 until end of 70.
The pic is of the other Nichels built speedway Daytona that Cotton had.

***NOTE: Cotton moved the tank to behind the driver in his '69 Nichels built short track Charger 500. That car became the #6 Showcar Daytona, by adding a street Daytona front clip and wing.***

Fascinating. Thanks for the additional information. This isn't a situation that is unique to Mopars by any means, but you almost need to treat each car as a variation on a basic theme, depending on where the car originated, who worked on it and what racing environment it was being set up for.

In researching Mopars and Aero cars in particular, there seems to be a ton of information out there (especially if you know where to look) but the one thing I have always had difficulty with is finding photographic records. I can look up Holman-Moody stuff 'til the cows come home, but finding the equivalent from Nichel's is much more troublesome. Cotton Owens seems to be a bit better but not much.

If anyone has pics of Mopars under construction it would be a great help to those of us who are building models or simply want to learn more.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: