Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating decals, the process...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Creating decals, the process... Reply with quote

I've never tried to create my own decals nor do I have any urge to try. However I am curious about the process...

When making a set that hasn't been replicated before, how is it done? What do you use to get the art right? Very curious and thanks ahead of time!
jchrisf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious of this recently too and what I discovered is there is not a lot of info out there on this. But this video was the most helpful. Looks like you need to know how to use a vectoring program

https://youtu.be/CXARPWE7iH4
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchrisf wrote:
I was curious of this recently too and what I discovered is there is not a lot of info out there on this. But this video was the most helpful. Looks like you need to know how to use a vectoring program

Agree - great video. FYI those vector drawing demonstrations at about 3:30 or so - are sped up quite a bit. You'll invest a good amount of time getting things right. Just one of those simple shapes can take like 20 minutes to get perfect.

That said, I have been doing my own decals with Adobe Illustrator, an application I started using 30 years ago. I have not done any of the more modern schemes with complete body wraps, just '60s-70's subjects.
jchrisf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
jchrisf wrote:

Agree - great video. FYI those vector drawing demonstrations at about 3:30 or so - are sped up quite a bit. You'll invest a good amount of time getting things right. Just one of those simple shapes can take like 20 minutes to get perfect.

That said, I have been doing my own decals with Adobe Illustrator, an application I started using 30 years ago. I have not done any of the more modern schemes with complete body wraps, just '60s-70's subjects.

I wish I had 30 years experience with it. I thought about going into graphic design 30 years ago and I sure wish I did.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do a decent amount of old cars using Microsoft PowerPoint. You can usually find a font very close to what you need and import pictures of logos and things. All the swirls and stuff they do on modern cars are beyond my capability.
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fascinating! I thought it may have been alot of work. Gives me a new appreciation for the people who do it. Imagine how many people Slixx must have had working on them to crank them out like they were...
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one I'm doing now of the 57 Chevy "push car" that patrolled our local speedway. This was all done using PowerPoint. Nothing fancy but functional.

Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Here is one I'm doing now of the 57 Chevy "push car" that patrolled our local speedway. This was all done using PowerPoint. Nothing fancy but functional.

Looks good! I believe PowerPoint also allows you to edit shapes with vector ("bezier") editing tools. You just have to settle for out-of-the-box fonts. A more robust drawing program can convert type to outlines so it can be customized.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchrisf wrote:
Firefly wrote:
...I have been doing my own decals with Adobe Illustrator, an application I started using 30 years ago. I have not done any of the more modern schemes with complete body wraps, just '60s-70's subjects.

I wish I had 30 years experience with it. I thought about going into graphic design 30 years ago and I sure wish I did.

In 1990 I was using a t-square and X-acto knife to work on print layouts. My company was unwilling to convert to desktop publishing so I invested a month's salary on my own Mac and a copy of Adobe Illustrator v.3. Taught myself enough to hustle some freelance work, and moved on from there. Get to know the ways of that pen tool and you can do anything.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop is the bee's nuts for graphic design. Any shape, colour, object you can imagine can be created. Fonts out the ying-yang with any size of key line or drop shadow you need.

I make my living working with designers, layout artists and art directors. Every one of them uses Photoshop.

If you're printing your own decals on an inkjet printer, look for models that create ink drops with the lowest number of picolitres. A picolitre is one trillionth of a litre. Any printer that can produce ink drops in less than 10 picolitres is excellent. Under 20 is still very good resolution. Obviously, you can't print white on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: