Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the best Nascar kits to be on the lookout for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchrisf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: What's the best Nascar kits to be on the lookout for? Reply with quote

I'm kinda new to modeling and was wondering what Nascar models do I need to be on the lookout for that are fun to build and go together well? Any particular year better than the others?
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a broad question. What is your favorite era of cars? Do you like the new cars or perhaps older cars of the 1960-1990's. Build what you like, that makes the hobby way more fun. Keep your eyes open for a local model car swap meet. You can usually find all kinds of NASCAR kits, some older and some newer. Welcome to the hobby.....
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as 'hottest' kit.....Chase Elliott Chevy SS....selling for $$$$$ now
jchrisf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just mean what kits are the best to build for a newb nascar builder that can be found on eBay for a great price.

So far it seems Revell/Monogram are better than AMT?

And what years are the best to look for? I read somewhere that the late 80s and early 90s Lumina is the best.

What about car models? Are Thunderbirds and Pontiacs any good?

And I like all years of Nascar but only followed it in the 80s and 90s so those would be the cars I would be most interested in.

The newer Nascars look better IMO but are impossible to find at a good price so they are out unless Revell makes more.
RCB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Salvinos 80's cars go together well and there are decals for so many versions to build. They would be a good start IMHO.
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good first kit would be one of the late 80s or early 90s Monogram kits. Not too many parts and they usually fit together pretty well.
TonyK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with building the Monogram kits. They're pretty good. Revell can be thrown in there and the AMT kits were different but seemed to go together well also.
I'd stay away from Salvino's if I were a beginner. Good kits but you gotta know what you're doing and be familiar with NASCAR kits in general.
RCB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80's and 90's Salvino kits are the old Monogram kits, but with much better decals.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend starting with one of the Monogram Buick kits. Go on eBay and find one in the smaller box, they were the early issues so the fit and molding quality will be better than the newer reissues. The Mountain Dew #11 was the first issue and it's molded in white so it's my first choice and it can often be found cheaper than the current reissues. Mike's has plenty of decal options for them and they build nicely. Plus, since they've been around forever most of us can help with building tips and things to watch for. This kit is in my top 5 domestic kits of all time.

If you want something a little more modern then one of the '03-'05 Monte Carlos is a good choice. They're a little simplified and most guys add some details that Revell-Monogram omitted like spoiler braces and ignition boxes but their simplicity doesn't take away from the way they look sitting on the shelf finished. The biggest drawback is that most of the aftermarket decals are as old as the kits are and they're getting a little harder to find.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest the Hut Stricklin #27 McDonalds car, Or the Heinz 57 Pontiac. Or the Sterling Marlin Kodak Monte Carlo. Kits that if you didn't even paint them will turn out pretty well. And there are a bunch of them about so they should be cheap to start playing with.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDM_Racing wrote:
May I suggest the Hut Stricklin #27 McDonalds car, Or the Heinz 57 Pontiac. Or the Sterling Marlin Kodak Monte Carlo. Kits that if you didn't even paint them will turn out pretty well. And there are a bunch of them about so they should be cheap to start playing with.

The '89-'93 Thunderbird is a great suggestion. The biggest drawback for someone just starting out is all those late '80s-early '90s kits really need the front and rear bumpers puttied to look right. But the '89-'93 Thunderbirds build up easily otherwise and the fit is good.
Schumacher330

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was starting out with building NASCAR kits I would probably start with the generation of Revell kits including with the pre decorated kits. They go together fairly easily, there are several decal options out there, and the bodies are one piece and the window trim is already done. Also they take well to being highly detailed as your skills increase.
big_al40

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: NASCAR kits Reply with quote

Thought I would add my '2 cents' to your post regarding NASCAR kits. First off, welcome to the world of race cars!!
I would like to offer my help in your selecting a NASCAR kit (or kits). Rather than going the bidding route, I have 'hundreds' of unbuilt NASCAR kits that I need to 'dispose' of. I try to keep my prices reasonable.
I'd be more than happy to try and help you. If interested, PM me and we will see what we can come up with.
Al Kinney
jchrisf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for posting. It has been very helpful. Basically, it seems all the Revell/Monogram kits are good. I'll be sure to look out for the ones that were mentioned.
R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the early 1980's Monogram Buicks, Monte Carlos and T-Birds. Pretty basic straight forward build, paint and decals not to complicated and they look great when done.
jchrisf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this treasure trove of what looks like every Nascar kit made with pictures of the boxes

http://www.nascarmodelkits.com/catalog.html
i.e., http://www.nascarmodelkits.com/Revell-MONOGRAM1990s.html
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchrisf wrote:
Found this treasure trove of what looks like every Nascar kit made with pictures of the boxes

Has anyone ever bought from this website. They say they have almost everything but I just don't know.
drppr76

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDM_Racing wrote:
jchrisf wrote:

Has anyone ever bought from this website. They say they have almost everything but I just don't know.

I purchased from this sight twice - order arrived in good time - no complaints from me
jchrisf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDM_Racing wrote:
jchrisf wrote:

I didn't even realize it was a functioning store. I just thought it was a great place to see all the kits that had been produced. His prices seem a bit high to me.
jchrisf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got some AMT Nascar kits around the 1990 era and was impressed with the plastic, packing and instructions. I think they bagged more of the parts and didn't put the clear plastic around things that would scratch it. I also like that the tires are not on the sprue. The plastic looks great though I can visually see that the body is smaller than the 1/24 kits... not sure if I will like that as much or not.

The negative was the decals stuck to the instruction sheet and pulled off some decal color when I went to separate them.

But it seems to me by looking at the kit and instructions that these kits may be easier to build? They don't seem to have as many parts or detail so it may be better for a newbie like me to start with. Am I right to think the reason people don't like these kits as well as R/M is because they are not as accurate to the real car? Hoping it will be a pleasurable and easy build to help me through my newb stage. I really like that they leave the trunk separate and let you detail it a bit more.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the AMT kits. Probably because I built more "annual" kits when I was a kid than R/M kits. I think the detail is good but 1/24 took off in the 1980s with the Regal/MC kits and the RM kits can be built while sleep modeling.

All the kits we want reproduced were made in 1/25, Pearson GTO, Laguna, Monte Carlo, Torino etc. The 1/25 scale lost the bubble in the 80's. Now AMT kits are parts donors..... for dark side builds
jchrisf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fozziebear wrote:
I personally like the AMT kits. Probably because I built more "annual" kits when I was a kid than R/M kits. I think the detail is good but 1/24 took off in the 1980s with the Regal/MC kits and the RM kits can be built while sleep modeling.

All the kits we want reproduced were made in 1/25, Pearson GTO, Laguna, Monte Carlo, Torino etc. The 1/25 scale lost the bubble in the 80's. Now AMT kits are parts donors..... for dark side builds

Good info, thanks. Sounds like you are saying the R/M kits are the easiest to build? What is a dark side build? I looked it and Annual kits up and found out what the Annual kits are but nothing on dark side builds.
drppr76

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchrisf wrote:
1fozziebear wrote:

Good info, thanks. Sounds like you are saying the R/M kits are the easiest to build? What is a dark side build? I looked it and Annual kits up and found out what the Annual kits are but nothing on dark side builds.

Darkside is the Era from the beginning of NASCAR inception up to 1972 just like the forum here indicates
jchrisf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drppr76 wrote:
jchrisf wrote:
1fozziebear wrote:

Darkside is the Era from the beginning of NASCAR inception up to 1972 just like the forum here indicates

Thank you drppr76
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early 1st Qtr 2022 Salvino's JR are releasing Hendrick Cars (Chase Elliott 1st)
They say Tamiya quality.
they are using cad files from Hendrick/NASCAR/GM
they should be good quality be done from the Ground up with new tooling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: