Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing pre printed graphics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Removing pre printed graphics Reply with quote

Hey all, was thinking about buying one of these models off ebay. Noticed that it is pre painted/printed, what would it take to get these graphics off? A little soak in the purple stuff, or something else? Was wondering how difficult it would be, before i buy it. Thanks

HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any luck getting them completely removed. The purple soak will dull them a bit but that's it. I ended up just lightly sanding and grey primer to hide the base coat. I haven't tried brake cleaner, maybe that would work?
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
john2018

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% isopropyl alcohol, let it soak for 3 or 4 hours then use a soft brush like a old tooth brush, if you get a stubborn spot dip the brush in the alcohol and scrub a little more. I have done this at least a dozen times with great success.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john2018 wrote:
99% isopropyl alcohol, let it soak for 3 or 4 hours then use a soft brush like a old tooth brush, if you get a stubborn spot dip the brush in the alcohol and scrub a little more. I have done this at least a dozen times with great success.

..agree
martinfan

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john2018 wrote:

..agree ..agree
bigryan18

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually need 91% alcohol...
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys get alcohol to work? I've never had any luck with it, even when soaked overnight.
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurricaneDave3 wrote:
How do you guys get alcohol to work? I've never had any luck with it, even when soaked overnight.

Make sure you are using 91%. 70% won't work. The 91% is harder to find but will do the job.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like Hurricane Dave. Tryed the purple stuff and just ended up sanding and priming and shooting. Worked out good. Could never tell it had any graphics on it.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len Woodruff wrote:
HurricaneDave3 wrote:

Make sure you are using 91%. 70% won't work. The 91% is harder to find but will do the job.

I tried both on separate occasions and neither one touched the graphics. I even soaked overnight. BTW if you have a CVS pharmacy near you they carry 91,it is pricey though.
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
john2018

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rinse with water until after you have brushed the graphics off, the water kills the alcohol. I forgot to mention I'm Canadian and they sell 99% alcohol in most pharmacy's here but I've used 91% with the same results.
spooker

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, and I stress SOMETIMES, non-acetone nail polish remover will work where nothing else will. Try on something hidden or inconspicuous first1
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all you 91%ers were right. Got a plastic tub and used 3 bottles of the 91% alcohol and it started to work within a few minutes. Gonna let it soak for a few days then give it a good wipe down.

Thanks to all that chimed in.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurricaneDave3 wrote:
Len Woodruff wrote:
HurricaneDave3 wrote:

I tried both on separate occasions and neither one touched the graphics. I even soaked overnight. BTW if you have a CVS pharmacy near you they carry 91,it is pricey though.

I let one of my models soak for three days. All it did was make it shiny. And I used the 99%
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it out after a coupla hours and wiped it down with paper towels, took it down to the white plastic. Exactly what i wanted.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDM_Racing wrote:
HurricaneDave3 wrote:
Len Woodruff wrote:
HurricaneDave3 wrote:

I let one of my models soak for three days. All it did was make it shiny. And I used the 99%

Alcohol for hobby lacquers and pre-paints.

Purple stuff for enamels.

If you use alcohol on enamel or purple stuff on lacquer neither will be effective. I've stripped several of those with 91%, it just melts off in a couple of hours usually.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
KDM_Racing wrote:
HurricaneDave3 wrote:
Len Woodruff wrote:
HurricaneDave3 wrote:

If you use alcohol on enamel or purple stuff on lacquer neither will be effective. I've stripped several of those with 91%, it just melts off in a couple of hours usually.

What is the purple stuff that we are all talking about. I have a car I want to redo.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDM_Racing wrote:
Tom M. wrote:
KDM_Racing wrote:
HurricaneDave3 wrote:
Len Woodruff wrote:
HurricaneDave3 wrote:

What is the purple stuff that we are all talking about. I have a car I want to redo.

Super Clean degreaser. I use it to remove plastic “chrome” with great results. Never used it for paint but looks like others have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: