Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dodged a bullet....metaphorically speaking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Dodged a bullet....metaphorically speaking. Reply with quote

For the first time ever, I snapped a windshield in half for my 68 Charger USAC car. I glued it back together and the windshields slight curve matched up pretty closely with a piece of 2 inch PVC pipe. I took one of the clear plastic "clam shell" packages and cut off a flat piece. I taped it to the pipe and used my new mini heat gun (where I got the clamshell) and heat formed it to the pipe. Took me three tries to get it right. A little trimming, a few needle nosed clamps, some glue and I had a reasonable windshield.

Last edited by Dennis O on Wed May 19, 2021 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. I have found that scrap clear plastic looks more realistic than the chunky kit glass, and allows more room for cage bars at the A-pillars.
If the glass isn't too curled at the sides, I usually try to use it.
Biggest challenge I had was replicating a missing rear window for a '65 Coronet - similar to the '64 Petty Plymouth sportroof. Almost a fishbowl-like shaping at the sides...story for another time.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dodged a bullet....metaphorically speaking. Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
For the first time ever, I snapped a windshield in half for my 68 Charger USAC car. I glued it back together and the windshields slight curve matched up pretty closely with a piece if 2 inch PVC pipe. I took one of the clear plastic "clam shell" packages and cut off a flat piece. I taped it to the pipe and used my new mini heat gun (where I got the clamshell) and heat formed it to the pipe. Took me three tries to get it right. I little trimming, a few needle nosed clamps, some glue and I had a reasonable windshield.

Dennis, It's Great to hear storys of recovery like this. Probably looks better then the oob windshield.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of snapping clear parts before I have never done it myself but, I normally use kit glass if it fits OK but if it isn't I vacuform a new piece
using the old one as a mold I may have to cut it or whatever to get the proper form to use as a guide and I keep those as a mold for future use in case I decide to build another I also will just use the original and vacuform a new clear piece that is thinner like on the Merit F1 models from the 50s i am working on now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: