Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you know the history of this car?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Do you know the history of this car? Reply with quote

A call to the experts. I found bits and pieces of stories about this tunnel back Charger with a Daytona nose. Story goes that it started out as Hilton's 68 Charger that he modified to a Charger 500 for 69.
Car sold to Allisons who made a Daytona out of it, then sold it to Marty Robbins.
History unknown until Big Iron Garage restored it to a Marty Robbins show Daytona.
Any semblance of truth to this.
My crazy idea is to try to recreate a model of the abandoned state of the car like on the picture.
Please help with any knowledge you may have. I will go ahead if there is a reasonable chance this car is for real.

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching this closely....I love a good search. We have some good detectives on this site......
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was dark blue at one time. Tiny's #55 is the only Daytona Charger that comes to mind. That great ones decal might narrow the search.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a view of the other side of the car.

The story's been kicking around for years with signed docs from James Hylton and Cotton Owens saying it's a legit Hylton car. Interesting to note that it's a tunnel back body but images of Hylton's #48 Daytona show it with a flush rear window, a la the Charger 500.

It's also alleged to be the car Talmadge Prince was killed in. But images of his car also show a flush rear window. Who really knows?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=117477.0
Bob Hanner
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The round hole on the left rear quarter says it started life as a 68 Charger. 69's were rectangle.

Looks like originally it was Y2 "Sunfire" Yellow judging by all the yellow paint on the inside rear of the cockpit.

Same color as my 1/1 69 Charger
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someting to keep in mind regarding the rear window, the Charger 500's and Daytona's that were race cars were modified tunnel back tops. There was a rear window plug that was added for the flush rear glass and the original tunnel sheetmetal was still present.

Best I have heard is that none of the raced Charger 500's or Daytona's began as a showroon Charger 500 or Daytona. All were regular 68-69 Chargers that had mods to make them 500's and/or Daytona's.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Someting to keep in mind regarding the rear window, the Charger 500's and Daytona's that were race cars were modified tunnel back tops. There was a rear window plug that was added for the flush rear glass and the original tunnel sheetmetal was still present.

Best I have heard is that none of the raced Charger 500's or Daytona's began as a showroon Charger 500 or Daytona. All were regular 68-69 Chargers that had mods to make them 500's and/or Daytona's.

I did not know that, very interesting and gives me hope that it is not impossible that the car started it's racing career as this:

[url[/url]
AndyS

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a more extensive discussion of this car's history on this thread at Dodgecharger.com forum. This goes into more detail (5 pages) on its identification as the former Hylton Charger 500 which became the Marty Robbins Daytona:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,119282.0.html
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS wrote:
There's a more extensive discussion of this car's history on this thread at Dodgecharger.com forum. This goes into more detail (5 pages) on its identification as the former Hylton Charger 500 which became the Marty Robbins Daytona:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,119282.0.html

Thank you sir. This is a most complete and fascinating forensics investigation.
This provides answers to my search.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both front fenders - more so the right front fender - have remnants of Noble Auto Parts Special sponsorship. These fenders ( and possibly the entire car ??? ) were run by NASCAR Grand National West Series driver Jack McCoy, of Modesto, CA. As Jack related in his book Racing's Real McCoy -- Sharing the road with the pioneers of the wild west, His team, owned by Ernie Conn, only had one car, which was converted back and forth from Charger 500 to Daytona trim for the inaugural race at Texas World Speedway in December, 1969, as well as the June, 1970 Grand National / GNW Combination Race at Riverside, CA.
Further complicating the issue is a photo on pg. 202 of McCoy's # 7 Charger Daytona on pit road at Riverside with the Noble Auto Parts sponsorship on the Left Front fender - AND HILTON HYPERLUBE sponsorship on the Left Rear fender !!! ..stir
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting George. You're talking about this car right?

[url

Interesting that this car was restored in 2009 or earlier, yet we see fenders with the same graphics on the other car in 2014. The old rusted car has lots of yellow paint traces inside and out, a different roll cage and dash etc.

If this was easy it would not be fun![/url]
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the real car with the great one decal in the right location. Prestone too.

AndyS

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chassis of the rusted old roller is clearly the #48 yellow Hylton Charger 500, that was confirmed by James Hylton and Cotton Owens. There is a modification to the rollcage that is unique to that car, Hylton made it to keep it from flexing and recognized it when he inspected the chassis. There were also suspension mods made by Bobby Allison when we prepped it for Marty Robbins, Cotton Owens and Bobby Allison recognized them.

The fenders from the Jack McCoy car somehow got put onto it, how they got there, and why they weren't used for the restoration of the #7 McCoy car hasn't been documented, that I'm aware of.
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the car you guys are talking about...... see video
Restored by a friend. Pete Cellini.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=567625134016633&ref=watch_permalink

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/martyrobbinsdaytona

Also it's featured in the new Mar/Apr Issue Chrysler Power issue....

https://cpwebstore.com/Maga.../Single-Copies/CP-Mar-Apr-21-S
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you guys. I now know for sure that this car is for real...and it now commits me to attempt a model of it in pre-restoration stage. A lot of weathering techniques to develop. This will be a long term project.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
Thanks to all of you guys. I now know for sure that this car is for real...and it now commits me to attempt a model of it in pre-restoration stage. A lot of weathering techniques to develop. This will be a long term project.

Wow, Pierre. So your going to do a model of the first picture of the car you posted? That will be a super challenge. But I know you will get it done and it will look just like the photo. I hope you do a wip. This will be a great learning experience for us that know nothing about weathering. I'm talking about me. I haven't got a clue when it comes to weathering.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Pierre Rivard wrote:

Wow, Pierre. So your going to do a model of the first picture of the car you posted? That will be a super challenge. But I know you will get it done and it will look just like the photo. I hope you do a wip. This will be a great learning experience for us that know nothing about weathering. I'm talking about me. I haven't got a clue when it comes to weathering.

Yes sir, I will attempt to model it all rusted up.
I've only done one weathered car before (the Black Widow posted in the showroom) so this will be a mighty challenge
Silly me, I just started a diorama to go with it...

..laugh3 ..laugh3
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let us know when its in the fab shop. I've never seen a weathered build from start to finish. Just the finished product and wondered how they got there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: