Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1962 Daytona 500 Winner Fireball Roberts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: 1962 Daytona 500 Winner Fireball Roberts Reply with quote

As I'm finishing up my 1969 Richard Petty Talladega, I went digging through my stash and came upon my 1962 Pontiac as driven by Fireball Roberts. Body has been painted, cleared and decaled. The decals were an old set of Fred Cady decals. Wasn't happy with the decal so I took them off and dug out my Powerslide decals. Upon looking at them, I noticed that the door numbers were foiled on the Powerslide decals. Does anybody know whether the door numbers with foil on the Daytona car? I see where Powerslide offers the door numbers in the "paint" look. Should I get them for the Daytona winner or use the foil numbers?

Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door numbers were NOT foil at any time the car ran in 1962. Foil numbers were first available for cars in 1967. Pior to that any metalized numbers were done in gold leaf. Smokey's Pontiac ha gold painted numbers.

There is a replica car around with gold foll numbers, incorrect!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
The door numbers were NOT foil at any time the car ran in 1962. Foil numbers were first available for cars in 1967. Pior to that any metalized numbers were done in gold leaf. Smokey's Pontiac ha gold painted numbers.

There is a replica car around with gold foll numbers, incorrect!

Thanks , Bill for that info. Ive been wanting to do Zervakis 61 Chevy but the door numbers appear to be metallized . I guess they were gold leaf. How would you replicate that? Also the roof numbers appear to be black or maybe its some kind of weird effect caused by the gold leaf that makes it look black. I'm confused.
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Mark, you did a great job on Smokey's "birdcage" roll cage!

Brian
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope J.J. is also known as Mark because I dont think i could have done that nice a job on the cage.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
Wow, Mark, you did a great job on Smokey's "birdcage" roll cage!

Brian
MarkJ wrote:
I hope J.J. is also known as Mark because I dont think i could have done that nice a job on the cage.

Thanks guys. It was pain in the butt. I did wind up ordering the supplement sheet of the doors numbers from Powerslide for this. Just waiting on them to try and finish this on up. It sucks not having much work but, it has been a blessing with having the kids in virtual school and having some modeling time as well. Since this "pandemic" started I've been able to get at 15 models completed.
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Sorry about that! I guess I was in a hurry with that post!
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the roof numbers were black. JJ, I add my compliments on that cage and the interior is exactly perfect. Can't wait to see it all together.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have an engine shot of this car? Pontiac engines were a light blue in the early 60's but I have seen some pictures that show a gold engine block. I just painted mine light blue but now questioning that choice.
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoky always painted his engines gold. The regular Pontiac engine color in those years was light blue and maybe around 1962 went to a light metallic blue.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started to redecal using Powerslide decals. Going much smoother than with the original Fred Cady decals. Real pleased with how well the door numbers laid down in all the body lines.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have a decent shot of the shock setup on the cars from 1962? Working on dual shocks on the front and don't have a picture of how the bottom end mounts.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, J.J. that body looks perfect. What brand of paint did you use and was it rattle can or air brush?
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. I used Tamiya Gold, Black and Gloss Clear straight out of spray can

MarkJ wrote:
Wow, J.J. that body looks perfect. What brand of paint did you use and was it rattle can or air brush?
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:
Thanks Mark. I used Tamiya Gold, Black and Gloss Clear straight out of spray can

MarkJ wrote:

Thanks. Again, that body looks perfect.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decals are completed. Hope they all stick. Already had an issue with the red pinstripe and a Grey Rock coming off after a few days of doing the drivers side.

jjsipes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to do a quick mock up.

jjsipes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put a coat Pledge Floor Gloss on it and this happened on the hood, roof and deck lid. The hood cleared up hope the rest does.

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some details of the front suspension during the time Banjo had it painted red and white, courtesy of Dr. Craft:

jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom..

Tom M. wrote:
Some details of the front suspension during the time Banjo had it painted red and white, courtesy of Dr. Craft:

MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:
Just put a coat Pledge Floor Gloss on it and this happened on the hood, roof and deck lid. The hood cleared up hope the rest does.

That always scares me when I use the new name for future. but the foggyness always clears up.
joe b

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:
Thanks Tom..

Tom M. wrote:

what's that small lever at the bottom of the seat with the white wire leading behind the seat?

great work JJ. yours looks a lot better than my build. i screwed up the gold by trying to wet sand it, also i missed the chrome strip running along the top of the rear fenders. don't know if it was just there for just the daytona car.

joe
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, back in those day they had an inertia mechanism on the harness/belts. Much like our modern shoulder belts in cars we all drive today. The lever was a release mechanism to release the inertia reel, which would tighten up from time to time during a race.

After an accident, forget the year or the specific accident, inertial harnesses were outlawed and the harnesses became solidly mounted.
joe b

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bill. wonder if anyone has tried to replicate that on a build.

joe
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone ever tried to repicate the harness release lever. Most cars from back then had the lever on the center tranny tunnel, the right side of the driver. I would guess it was a driver's preference thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: