Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1963 Chevy Mystery Engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: 1963 Chevy Mystery Engine Reply with quote

Before the crash, there was a thread about this engine and someone mentioned which model kits had this engine. Anyone remember which kits had it? I need an engine for a project I want to do.
Thanks
Bill
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 66 Impala was the only kit to ever have that engine and most importantly the correct exhaust.

There was a re-release of the 66 Impala Modified Stocker that also has those exhaust in it.
Nitrobarry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: 1963 Chevy Mystery Engine Reply with quote

Hi all, I`m a little confused. The 1966 Impala kit you are talking about, is that the "original issue" AMT annual? or Revell....?
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Chevy Mystery Engine Reply with quote

Nitrobarry wrote:
Hi all, I`m a little confused. The 1966 Impala kit you are talking about, is that the "original issue" AMT annual? or Revell....?

AMT 66 Impala.
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Chevy Mystery Engine Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Before the crash, there was a thread about this engine and someone mentioned which model kits had this engine. Anyone remember which kits had it? I need an engine for a project I want to do.
Thanks
Bill

Bill, This engine is in the 1966 Chevy Impala "Modified Stocker" series....

https://images46.fotki.com/v1645/photos/5/504634/5845629/02-vi.jpg

Last edited by FallsCity48 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosh, i cannot believe that I have this kit in my stash and will not have to move heaven & earth finding one like i usually do when I start a project !!!
Bill
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought two of the 1966 Chevy Impala "Modified Stocker" kits for the correct NASCAR race engine only. Some of these old "Modified Stocker" kits have some nice race goodies in them, such as the 1964 Ford kit.
Bill J

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see the correct cast headers for a 427 "mystery" engine in the 66 Modified stocker kit but the engine appears the same as any 396/427 rat motor chevy to me. In fact it is not all the well done. Sort of a vague representation like many early kits with engines.

Am I missing something?
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, you are correct, it'll need some other donor pieces to make the engine more correct. However, the kit does have some important "Mystery" engine parts, and those are key parts for my planned project, Junior's 1963 Chevy ride. Much the same way as the 1964 Ford has some race components that can go towards other projects, and the body will probably end up as a ARCA, or Sportsman car riding on top of a 1960 Ford Starliner chassis. I'm thinking Red Farmer's, maybe. Thanks for clarifying that point, as others may think it was a totally accurate rendering of the "Mystery" engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: