Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Charger
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: New Charger Reply with quote

I have a business question.
The new Salvino charger is, from what I understand a complete sellout. They are only making 5,000 on this run. My question is why wouldn't they make more? I get creating the buzz of limited numbers and sellouts, but if you have the chance to sell 6,000 or 7,000 why wouldn't you??? Seems like you're leaving money on the table.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from their history I would think they will do other kits with decal changes like the next one would be say the K&K Insurance car or the Neil Bonnet Jim Stacy Car. There are others as well. Rick Salvino told me a while back they were going to do the tool with interchangeable 1/4 windows so they could do the 71 as well this will keep there stuff new and the prior run kits in demand, perhaps in say 2-3 years they may bring it back if the demand is there...
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The runs are limited to 5000. THAT Petty STP 73 Charger will be followed later/2022, etc by OTHER paint schemes/drivers/race win configurations..... again limited to 5000.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike’s has a ‘71 showing as an exclusive, seems that they tooled 2 different bodies already.
truedeadman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvino's want there kits to be collectible, hence the 5k production runs
tomcat65

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be 5000 produced of the 1973 #43 STP Dodge Charger. They will do more 1973 Dodge Chargers with different paint schemes. With each paint scheme getting 5000 produced. They have said we will get another 1973 Charger kit before the end of the year. So that would make 10,000 1973 Dodge Charger kits produced in 2021...
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are MANY Petty STP Charger schemes. MPC alone did 3 different. I am sure Salvinos will get around to doing all the different versions.
Capsat 6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: New Charger Reply with quote

I was on one of their webcasts, and it was stated that they don't want to produce too much of their product, for several reasons.

They don't want to see their product sell in a discount situation (like the way some of Round 2's and Revell's kits sometimes make it to Ollie's, etc.). That creates an image that the product is somehow sub-standard.

Also, Salvinos wants to sustain demand for future releases (like boxings of essentially the same kits, but with different decals). It can be clearly seen that many NASCAR kits were over-produced in the 90's and early 2000's, as many of those kits are still sometimes dirt cheap and readily available, 20 years down the road.

I think it was also mentioned that they have no interest in dealing with large retail chains. I can understand that, as once you have products placed in those stores, the chains start to demand that what you produce follows their wants, pricing has to be made favorable to the retailer, and product is not purchased by those retailers, as much as it's sent to the stores and whatever is unsold is sent back to the manufacturer.
Shadetree Modeler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be plenty of these for a long time. It's one body with window inserts for the 71/72, 3 different grills and grill inserts, a couple of rear bumpers and separate cover panel in chrome or unpainted.
Yes, Salvino's is starting with 5000 of the Petty Charger. And however many thousands Mike's Decals is having made. So there will be plenty of supply. And it's all the same kit, just different box art and minus decals. Of course Mike has his deal to buy the kit and his decal sheet for a discount.
I think I'm in for a dozen so far. Rolling Eyes
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipped Monday....no one has one yet????
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Shipped Monday....no one has one yet????

STARTED shipping Monday. A number of Builder's Club members got theirs. We get first shipping.
kurth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine showed up in Thursday, it looks like many on the builders club have received them this week.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see some pics!!
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Let's see some pics!!

YES
kurth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Anything in particular you want to see?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX! Body is number one!
kurth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know this car very well, so I have no opinion regarding accuracy. The only thing I can see is that the body seems to have much more delicate and crisp detail than the PL body. The PL body seems clunky in comparison. The schmutz on the roof is from my handling of the kit and the body sitting out while I was working on other stuff.

Hopefully these pictures are suitable for your analysis

Last edited by kurth on Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
kurth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more, a closer look at the window area and the new parts.

Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics, some good looking parts so far. Any chance of one from the side showing the height of the roof in relation to the window opening? That was a big question when the initial prototype first showed online.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you show the window inserts that enables this Charger to be a different year?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU for taking time to do that. Not gonna say much til I get one in hand. MUCH better than the PL funny car!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
Could you show the window inserts that enables this Charger to be a different year?

I THINK....and HOPE.....the inserts talked about are MOLD inserts and not plastic parts that fill the window opening. The 71-72 Charger had different door skins as well as C pillars. So giving you a triangular window filler would be a very poor way to make a 71 out of a 73. IIRC Salvinos said they made a different body mold for the 71-72.
kurth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle with taking good pictures.

I can take more later but I am charging the battery for my camera.
kurth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
18degrees wrote:

I THINK....and HOPE.....the inserts talked about are MOLD inserts and not plastic parts that fill the window opening. The 71-72 Charger had different door skins as well as C pillars. So giving you a triangular window filler would be a very poor way to make a 71 out of a 73. IIRC Salvinos said they made a different body mold for the 71-72.

I also think they said it was a different mold for the other bodies. I think I saw some kind of insert parts ... I will verify and post later when my battery charges.
kurth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
THANK YOU for taking time to do that. Not gonna say much til I get one in hand. MUCH better than the PL funny car!

You are quite welcome. Glad to help. Very Happy
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the pics Kurth. This is definitely the best body from Salvino; I'm interested to see how this compares to an MPC body.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
Matt T.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, THIS looks promising! Thanks for the images. I hope to get a couple of Mike’s ‘71 kits.
kurth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:
Thanks again for the pics Kurth. This is definitely the best body from Salvino; I'm interested to see how this compares to an MPC body.

That is one thing I do not have. Sad
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a review on Youtube.
From the pics above, it looks very nice.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:

I don't have an MPC body but I received two of these Chargers yesterday. Just holding it in my hand and looking at the way the body lines flow I'd say the body LOOKS pretty dang nice and accurate. I compared the body to pics in the book Cars of the King and it looks like a '73 NASCAR Charger.

The proof will be in the final product of course, but what I have in my hands looks promising. The box is full of many parts and weighs 1 1/2 pounds.

There is a build up already of this kit in the Salvino's model club FB site and the stance is raked and correct right out of the box, apparently. We'll have to see if I can replicate that as well with my moderate building skills.

As you all know Salvino's does produce vermillion decals for the STP red areas of their Petty cars, but the vermillion sheet for the Petty Charger won't be ready until next month. Just a heads up.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the most excited I’ve been about one of their offerings since the Olds was first announced. I’m in for at least one of each version.
bighoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Salhany wrote:
Joe Oteri wrote:

As you all know Salvino's does produce vermillion decals for the STP red areas of their Petty cars, but the vermillion sheet for the Petty Charger won't be ready until next month. Just a heads up.

I got mine in the mail today and mine had the vermillion decals with the kit. The body looks close to the MPC kits I have and defiantly better than the PL chargers The vermillion decals look good and I’ll most likely try them out instead I’d painting. Just don’t know when I’ll get around to starting - too many projects on the bench.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came yesterday, also with the vermillion decals. As stated before, I was a pretty big naysayer about Salvinos, BUT, these kits look good and now I'm excited to see what they offer down the road. I'm not a fan of the older cars but always liked the Chargers.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Bill J

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Charger kit is very impressive. The body is as good or better than the old MPC body. There are parts in the kit that will allow later versions of the Charger as raced.

The mentioned window inserts are not pieces to convert the body to a '71, they are parts made to replicate the sheet metal fairings inside the car, the window sills. A kit first I believe. Should be interesting.
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
...parts made to replicate the sheet metal fairings inside the car, the window sills. A kit first I believe. Should be interesting.

MPC had these in their 1/16 kits, back in the day. Probably a first in 1/24-1/25.
joe b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:

joe, comparing your picture of the real car and the model it does indeed look like the roof is smashed down lower and flatter. and the window opening is smaller. still i will be getting a couple.

joe b.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
Bill J wrote:
...parts made to replicate the sheet metal fairings inside the car, the window sills. A kit first I believe. Should be interesting.

MPC had these in their 1/16 kits, back in the day. Probably a first in 1/24-1/25.

Thanks for the pics. That body looks really good for a 1973 - '74 Charger. However, I recall reading in another thread here on Randy Ayers that the 1971 - '72 Charger had different bodyside creases ???
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
spooker wrote:
Bill J wrote:

Thanks for the pics. That body looks really good for a 1973 - '74 Charger. However, I recall reading in another thread here on Randy Ayers that the 1971 - '72 Charger had different bodyside creases ???

IIRC the earlier Charger has a different quarter window opening and different sheet metal from the A-pillar back. Salvino's is tooling up a different body for that Charger than the one in this new release.

I just got my Charger body in TS-23 light blue yesterday. I will take a profile pic of it tonight to post here so you guys can see the lines in color.
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a resin repop of the MPC Charger, 73-75 style and the roof, sides and about everything looks about the same on the Salvino's new body.

I also have an AMT 71 Charger R/T kit, street stocker. The roof height is about equal as well. The street 71 Charger has some scallops on the front sides of the doors, not sure if those were on the race versions. Otherwise I don't see much difference on the sides of the car. The "c" pillar is different, visiblity was probably a challenge on the street Smile
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Door skins on 71-72 are the same but 73-74 are different. It's a very small crease that I am not sure 100% that NASCAR enforced as it was so minor. The vertical stamping detail on the street car didn't many it to many Cup cars if any. It was a street upper model trim item and not on bas model Chargers.
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:

I also have an AMT 71 Charger R/T kit, street stocker. The roof height is about equal as well. The street 71 Charger has some scallops on the front sides of the doors, not sure if those were on the race versions. Otherwise I don't see much difference on the sides of the car. The "c" pillar is different, visiblity was probably a challenge on the street Smile

Those scallops were on the Charger Rallye trim, which was a more upscale performance-oriented trim in MY 1971-72. It wasn't on the base model, which was the body style used by most NASCAR teams.

https://barrettjacksoncdn.azureedge.net/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/208072/208072_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Harry Hyde's K&K Insurance team seemed to be trying emulate those scoops on this car at Daytona in 1972, but this example was very much the exception to the rule.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/overtoncountynews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/64/4646dd7e-8406-11ea-b2fd-7bc7c68cab0f/5e9f495b2fb1b.image.jpg
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Door skins on 71-72 are the same but 73-74 are different. It's a very small crease that I am not sure 100% that NASCAR enforced as it was so minor. The vertical stamping detail on the street car didn't many it to many Cup cars if any. It was a street upper model trim item and not on bas model Chargers.

The main difference in the doors on '71-'72 vs. the later doors is that the upper and lower main creases aren't continuous through the door. The crease running to the front tapers out and the crease running to the rear appears out of smooth sheetmetal. You can see it in the paint breaks on the Allison cars, the lower crease does the same thing:

joe b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

The main difference in the doors on '71-'72 vs. the later doors is that the upper and lower main creases aren't continuous through the door. The crease running to the front tapers out and the crease running to the rear appears out of smooth sheetmetal. You can see it in the paint breaks on the Allison cars, the lower crease does the same thing:

tom is this a 71 or a 73 charger?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not TOM!! but that is a 71-72 with triangle C pillar and different door skins..
joe b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dave. so why does the salvino body's c pillar not look like this if it is a 71? it looks like it has the 73 pillar. what year body is it

joe
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what year body is it

!973-74

The 1971-72 isn't out yet , it is a completely different body.
joe b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then how is mike's selling them now?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
then how is mike's selling them now?

PRE-ORDER........that's what Mike told me when I ordered last week.
joe b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the if i understand 73-74 came out before the 71-72 ? and there was no generic version of the 73-74 like is in pre order for the 71?

thks joe
Matt T.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
so the if i understand 73-74 came out before the 71-72 ? and there was no generic version of the 73-74 like is in pre order for the 71?

Correct on both. The '73/'74 just got to retailers this week. The '71/'72 is expected in "late April", per Model Roundup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: