Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wendell Scott colors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpippin43

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Wendell Scott colors Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the interior and exterior colors to use on Wendell Scott's Mercury Cyclone that he drove in 1973? Thanks.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interior was champagne gold. Body was pearl white with a metallic blue and metallic red. I would use Tamiya pearl white, Mica Blue, and Mica Red.
WR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a Wood Brothers car so it was probably the same color as the Purolator Mercury.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
It was a Wood Brothers car so it was probably the same color as the Purolator Mercury.

It wasn't a Wood Brothers car. It was purchased directly from H-M as a '69 Cyclone by Jim "Hammer" Mason of Detroit Steel Tubing then reskinned as a '71 Cyclone when the '69 aged out of eligibility. The Wood Brothers only owned two '70'71 Cyclones (as their own cars, they did reskin some cars that went through their hands when the factory liquidated inventory and re-sold them) and both of those are accounted for.
WR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know that, I had read on Racing Reference info that it was purchased from the Wood Brothers.
bpippin43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book "Hard Driving" says Holman-Moody built the car for Ford Motor Co.'s corporate racing division. Wendell purchased the car in Michigan with no engine. Ralph Moody helped Wendell locate a state-of-the-art engine built by Waddell Wilson.
WR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw an interview and he said it took him 9 years to pay that car off.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some old photos of the take-off panels from the '69 body that Tim Mason (Jim's son) had back in the early 2000s. Decent references for the colors on the '71 body as well.

Dearborn Steel Tubing was a Ford subcontractor, they performed the modifications to the Thunderbolt drag cars.

George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Holman and Ralph Moody had a soft spot in their hearts for Wendell Scott. A passage from the Tom Cotter / Al Pearce book Holman - Moody The Legendary Race Team : " Once I called Wendell and told him to get his hands on all the money he could, and to come down to Charlotte with a truck and a trailer," Moody said. " Well, we loaded him up with engines, transmissions, rear ends, gears, brakes, and even Fred Lorenzen's complete 1965 race car. I asked him how much money he had, and he gave me a wadded up $60. I said ' Thanks, ' and sent him on his way. He ran that equipment for years. " Of course, Holman - Moody WAS heavily funded by Ford at the time...
In recent NASCAR Seasons, the closest thing I have seen to that level of generosity was during the running of the first Truck Race on the DIRT at Eldora. After Norm Benning had to fight his way into the last transfer spot for the main, members of other truck teams went to Norm's pit to help get his truck ready for the feature. Rumors had Richard Childress sending a crewman to the Goodyear trailer to buy several sets of new tires for Norm's truck. ( On Childress' account of course. )
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
Here are some old photos of the take-off panels from the '69 body that Tim Mason (Jim's son) had back in the early 2000s. Decent references for the colors on the '71 body as well.

Dearborn Steel Tubing was a Ford subcontractor, they performed the modifications to the Thunderbolt drag cars.

Would these be the same colors as Mason's '63 #87 Sportsman Galaxie?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Tom M. wrote:

Would these be the same colors as Mason's '63 #87 Sportsman Galaxie?

The final iteration of it with the candy pearl paint, yes. I think it still exists in a museum in Michigan, I'm not sure what condition the original paint is in. It was applied in the winter between '68 and '69 if I recall correctly.
bpippin43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard Driving (pg. 274) "Scott finished paying off his debt for the Mercury in April 1983. The car wound up costing him nearly $2,750 for each of the eight laps he'd raced in it at Talladega."
bpippin43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The web site of the Winston Cup Museum in Winston Salem, NC says that the remains of the car are on it's museum floor.
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neighbor of James Mason just posted this yesterday on FB.

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it. You can see the champagne gold interior that was still in the car when Wendell got it.
WR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a good wright up and pictures on Racing Reference Info and there's a interview with Wendell and Ned Jarrett on you tube.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: