Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing chrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpippin43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Removing chrome Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have been away from modeling for a while. Which product is best to remove chrome plating from plastic parts? Thanks in advance.
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Clean degreaser, the purple stuff, i what i use with great results. I have one plastic tub (with a lid) for the degreaser and another one with plain water to rinse the parts in after. Works like a charm.
james220

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use oven cleaner in a plastic bag.
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas UNLESS it is a Salvino's kit!
james220

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a guy on YouTube recently who use bleach and he said he could remove the chrome from Salvino kits in about three days, using bleach. Haven't try it yet but he seemed pretty sure of himself. The Salvino chrome takes primer and paint pretty well. I dull coat mine and it does have a metal look.
iceman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the bleach on a couple Salvino wheels and it did take the chrome off but it took a long time and if I remember correctly had to change the bleach a couple of times to make it work.
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isopropyl Alcohol 91%
Works on the non-Salvinos parts.
Soak in a sealed container or ziplock bag a few days or so.
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Isopropyl Alcohol 91%

91% alcohol isn’t as easy to find these days as the Super Clean. Plus the Super Clean takes less than a day... sometimes only a few hours.
TonyK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use bleach all the time and it worked great but it doesn't seem to work on newer models. Maybe a new type of process for chrome?

I have some Bleche-White lying around that kind of works.

Funny. Used some of my Bleche-White today and afterwards realized I had bought some Super Clean recently for this very thing. Guess I'll remember the next time.
martinfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
Firefly wrote:
Isopropyl Alcohol 91%

91% alcohol isn’t as easy to find these days as the Super Clean. Plus the Super Clean takes less than a day... sometimes only a few hours.

Its starting to slowly come back , my local "Mart" had full shelves of both 70/91 in the normal size bottles , that was today.

As for on topic, bleach and the Purple Cleaner ( purple bottle not white ) are my two go to chrome strippers.

It really depends on who's chrome, it makes the difference much like paint what will strip it in my experience.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple stuff. but completely immerse the chrome you want in a glass jar big enough to let the part lie down. Doesn't take too long. Also good for stripping paint but you need a gallon bottle and a container like the top of a model display case . It wont melt the plastic but will take the paint right off. And it takes a few hours, not days.
elcejay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Household bleach works well for chrome other than Salvinos. I am an Aussie. I use a bath of White King standard. I am sure any similar product would work fine. In most cases the chrome is dissolved within a few minutes.

For Salvinos chrome, I tried the bleach. Another post mentions this. Soak it in the bleach, brush it (gloves on, please), then soak again. After three weeks, less than half the chrome had gone - so it works, but very, very slowly.

I then tried the hydrochloric acid method on another set of Salvinos wheels. After nine days, the chrome was gone, but I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN. Handling hydrochloric/muriatic acid is easy enough wearing the right gloves, goggles (not glasses - the fumes are very, very dangerous) and a good mask like a 3M spray painter's mask. The problem is that you need to leave the acid bath outside (the fumes, the fumes, the fumes) for nearly two weeks. How are you going to manage that with certainty that you are not exposing children, pets, wildlife to the hazard? If you cannot make 100% certain that you are not going to harm anyone or anything, please DO NOT DO THIS. You may kill someone or maim them for life.

If you are considering this option still, please read up about the acid. Note how quickly and seriously it can cause harm. This is not balancing the pH in your pool. This is not etching concrete. Those things are relatively easy to control and you are there during the process. How will you be able to make sure that you protect others from your acid bath for nine days or so? Again, it is not just the liquid that is the hazard, it is the fumes, and please do not underestimate the volume of them.

I am going back to the bleach in future. It might take two months to get the chrome off, that's okay. I do not believe that it is worth putting people or animals in harm's way to strip the chrome off a piece of plastic using acid just for my personal gratification.
TiminToledo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done bleach for my chrome stripping. Have had great luck. Normally hours on older kits gets it clean. Occasionally there will be a some stubborn ones (right now I have an 1988 Buick Regal kit that is close to 24 hours with some spots still left on the grille, bumper and spoiler.

Based on the posts above, I will get some alternatives for use newer kits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: