Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1991 Harry Gant Mr. September Oldsmobile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: 1991 Harry Gant Mr. September Oldsmobile Reply with quote

In 1991, September had 5 races in the cup series. Harry Gant won the first 4 of them and came in second at the fifth race. That is why sometimes you hear him being called Mr. September. I tryed to do the livery for the Martinsville car because that was the last of his wins in the streak. He only missed winning the 5th race at North Wilkesboro by 10 laps. His tires gave out with ten to go and Earnhardt passed him for the win. He still was able to hold on to second. The livery changed a little at each race. they kept moving the small number 33 at the front of the car for each race. The Martinsville car had it on the hood where you see it on this model. It took 98.5 hours to complete with 43 of those hours going to creating and printing the decals. I actually watched most of these races back in 1991 especially toward the end of the streak just to see how many he could rack up. You say how can you have 5 races in one month? Well i looked it up and its true . All 5 were in the month of September. Unless Racing Reference got it wrong.

Here are pictures of the real car at Martinsville.

Last edited by MarkJ on Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
brent71

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, great build.
gks1964

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed!!
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made that old AMT kit look really sweet. I miss the days of tobacco sponsored rides. I know the downsides of all that. Still miss those days though. Your build is super nice. I think the AMT Olds may have been closer than the Monogram counterpart. Good skills make both look good.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..applause ..applause ..applause ..applause
notworthy
Racer14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build of a historic car!
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Job!!
I remember that winning streak
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked this car a lot. That win streak was quite memorable! Great job.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
You made that old AMT kit look really sweet. I miss the days of tobacco sponsored rides. I know the downsides of all that. Still miss those days though. Your build is super nice. I think the AMT Olds may have been closer than the Monogram counterpart. Good skills make both look good.

Thanks , Mack. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the fit of the body to the chassis to turn out right and the paint was horrible. After a week of drying it was still sticky to the touch. Plus when I printed the white decals I had the settings wrong and some came out looking like double vision. I didnt want to print another sheet because these sheets are so expensive. Oh well , better luck next time.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Sir.
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous build Mark. You took a marginal AMT kit and turned it into a real stunner. Well done.
arca guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Mark!
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great one Mark. What green did you use..
john843

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful job Mark...as usual!
All you need to do now is get underneath it with a torch and camber that right rear out til JUST before it breaks:) Do ya'll remember the rash of broken axles they had before NASCAR stepped in after the other teams figured out what they were doing with the rears?

John
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfbreed999 wrote:

It was that rustoleum american accents 2x stuff. I think it was called hunter green but I cant find the can . There was plenty left so I dont think I threw it away. But like I said earlier, It never really dried completely always felt a little sticky to the touch. I was trying to find an alternative to tamiya rattle cans because my local supplier, a local hobby shop just stopped keeping up with his stock . I think he just has his shop as a place for his rc buddies to get together . Its a good rc shop, but not a real local hobby shop that a guy building model kits can use. There was an excellent shop in Webster but that guy went out of business.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Beautiful job Mark...as usual!
All you need to do now is get underneath it with a torch and camber that right rear out til JUST before it breaks:) Do ya'll remember the rash of broken axles they had before NASCAR stepped in after the other teams figured out what they were doing with the rears?

John

Thanks , John. I glue my wheel assemblys on so I guess I could have got that done if I had known about it. I was just trying to get the stance right and never could get the body to fit low enough on the frame for my liking. This was one of those builds that when you get to the end you just want to get it over with and move on to the next build.
lefty1820

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: well done Reply with quote

You nailed it!! Well done!!

I remember that month and those races vividly!!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: well done Reply with quote

lefty1820 wrote:
You nailed it!! Well done!!

I remember that month and those races vividly!!

Thanks, Lefty. I've always seen a lot of Gant Chevy's done but never saw this old's done so I was glad to do it. Was on my bucket list for a while.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Build Mark. I to remember a few races of that run. In one of them wasn't he bumped and spun off the track resulting in the front end from the header down moved a few inches (5-6) to the right and he restarted like 12th the last car on the lead lap with like 30 to go and the guy who bumped him was in the lead and ran him down and passed him for the win. I seem to remember the announcers saying he was finished, then he took off and one said "that car has a very angry look to it" then after a few laps he had made it to like fifth and everyone could see he was gonna catch the leader and waited for the fireworks but when he caught him they did not fight and Harry went by for the win?
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
halfbreed999 wrote:

It was that rustoleum american accents 2x stuff. I think it was called hunter green but I cant find the can . There was plenty left so I dont think I threw it away. But like I said earlier, It never really dried completely always felt a little sticky to the touch. I was trying to find an alternative to tamiya rattle cans because my local supplier, a local hobby shop just stopped keeping up with his stock . I think he just has his shop as a place for his rc buddies to get together . Its a good rc shop, but not a real local hobby shop that a guy building model kits can use. There was an excellent shop in Webster but that guy went out of business.

Thanks for info. I will look for something else then close to that color. Ill try my local auto parts places to see what they have in spray can.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfbreed999 wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
halfbreed999 wrote:

Thanks for info. I will look for something else then close to that color. Ill try my local auto parts places to see what they have in spray can.

Duplicolor works good but you will probably have to polish it. They must have a dark green that would be close enough to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: