Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Camaro Kit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: New Camaro Kit! Reply with quote

Salvino's doing the Chase Elliott Phoenix championship car. Maybe summer.
Cool
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% new tooling for a car to become obsolete in 8 months???? Good luck to them....I'd put my $$$$ in a next Gen 2021 car for sure.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you could argue they are selling a lot of kits that are 35-40 years old now.
Cup half full, or cup half empty?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rerunning of the Monogram tooling is a cheap ROI. They had no choice before the acquiring of Revell Monogram tooling but to tool something new, The Olds. And after retooling in many times to correct rear suspension, bumpers, stance etc it still takes work to build a contest model from it.
If done well I'll buy at least one new Camaro Cup kit. Maybe 2 or 3 if really well done. But then if they want a 2021 Camaro they have to start all over as the two cars will share NOTHINNG....not wheels, tires, rear axle, chassis.....all different. So it seems better to spend money on a 2021 Cup tool, that done right can make all 3 makes by tooling the front clip separate. The 2021 chassis is a spec chassis so ALL the same.
This is just my personal opinion from working in the hobby since 1983 and what I have seen.....but Salvinos is spending the cash so THEY get to choose.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notes after watching the Salvinos FaceSpace Sat show.

SUPERBIRD: PLEZ PLEZ copy the JoHan kit only correcting the small error on the headlights. I would supply a mint body to scan if you will!!!

Lumina chassis is MIA....interesting.

FORDS will happen someday but seems they are in no rush. Looks like they are spending all license cash with GM and Fiat.

I did not that the AUG date for the Camaro is in much debate.....???
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not do the current Camaro? Folks have been begging for it. It will sell. Scanning a model body to build a new 3d model and/or mold is ridiculous with today's technology. You could scan a full size Superbird Nascar body and be much better off. Your pessimism of anything new always astonishes me.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, anything with Chase Elliott is going to sell hot. Mike's may offer a plain version with decal options for other cars like they do now with the old stuff.

The decal makers will have A LOT of cars to make. Even if it's the 2019/2020 car.

Modern Nascar is not my thing but I hope it all goes well for the modern builders.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
Why not do the current Camaro? Folks have been begging for it. It will sell. Scanning a model body to build a new 3d model and/or mold is ridiculous with today's technology. You could scan a full size Superbird Nascar body and be much better off. Your pessimism of anything new always astonishes me.

Well said!
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to be excited about this kit while still questioning the timing. People will undoubtedly buy a gen 6 car (proven by the value of the Revell kits), but I believe it will quickly fall into a limbo area where it’s outdated, but not a classic either. The new car, however, will be “current” for ~8 years of use. For presumably the same tooling investment, it seems more logical to have kits of the new car on the shelves in February when the real ones hit the track. Maybe that’s still part of their plan.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:

Like many things today the truth is often taken as pure negative.
My real job was a Bank Analyst. I worked some of the biggest financial deals ever done in this country.
My part time job was owner of a hobby manufacture and one of the larger licensing holders in the NASCAR hobby. I also ran a hobby shop...two in fact.
So when I speak the truth of ROI, production numbers, good investments and the REAL world of our hobby today....most uninformed react with 'HATER!!!!".
That's OK. I am just bringing a little truth to all the dreams that do not take in the facts of the world, and our hobby, today.

Just back in 1980 MPC had to run the Duke's Charger kit 24 hours a day and still could not keep up with demand. They ran over ONE MILLION kits in 2 years.
Today a manufacture runs 5000 kits and when they sell out they are caught by surprise!!!! Their best marketing people said 5K would be plenty.....in 1980 MPC would not put a tool into an injection machine for 5K run. NOW we are shocked!!! One million kits was a hit.......now 7K kits are a huge smash!!!! My friends that run hobby shops and one that owns a wholesale hobby company see what is coming.....not the death of the hobby, it will out live most of us. But the drastic changes that have taken place have not ended.....and the hobby will get smaller. They just hope it lasts until they retire.
I am constantly surprise by the naïve people on the net.
Damon Lester

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know in a world that is full of negativity and pessimism, how about letting people be happy that the Camaro kit is coming. I have been on this board longer than most people have been alive. Every time something modern is found to be released there are people who think they have all the knowledge about what is happening. Apparently Salvino’s has a good thing going and good on them for bringing something that people want. I could give two craps less about a Johan kit being redone or whatever. I want to see things that will sell. Have you tried buying a Revell Chase Elliott lately?? These will sell and that is what will most likely fund more of these kits that others like. It’s not that we are “haters” or whatever. Once I found out about the kits, I knew to check here to see the shade being thrown. Let people be excited. My dad always said, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. Let the ones happy comment but if you are only going to throw out your ultimate knowledge about the industry and what makes things tick......JUST STOP and think is this really necessary or am I just wanting to make people as miserable as I am.

Sure this is my last post. Just want to say there is no profanity and nothing but truth.
Damon Lester

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=2234&highlight=nascar

I will just leave this here.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Brandon Miller wrote:

Like many things today the truth is often taken as pure negative.
My real job was a Bank Analyst. I worked some of the biggest financial deals ever done in this country.
My part time job was owner of a hobby manufacture and one of the larger licensing holders in the NASCAR hobby. I also ran a hobby shop...two in fact.
So when I speak the truth of ROI, production numbers, good investments and the REAL world of our hobby today....most uninformed react with 'HATER!!!!".
That's OK. I am just bringing a little truth to all the dreams that do not take in the facts of the world, and our hobby, today.

Just back in 1980 MPC had to run the Duke's Charger kit 24 hours a day and still could not keep up with demand. They ran over ONE MILLION kits in 2 years.
Today a manufacture runs 5000 kits and when they sell out they are caught by surprise!!!! Their best marketing people said 5K would be plenty.....in 1980 MPC would not put a tool into an injection machine for 5K run. NOW we are shocked!!! One million kits was a hit.......now 7K kits are a huge smash!!!! My friends that run hobby shops and one that owns a wholesale hobby company see what is coming.....not the death of the hobby, it will out live most of us. But the drastic changes that have taken place have not ended.....and the hobby will get smaller. They just hope it lasts until they retire.
I am constantly surprise by the naïve people on the net.

As usual you assume I know nothing about the same type dealings you speak of above. I just don't spout off every chance I get to let everyone know I've done this and that and everything else.

As Damon stated those that want these kits are excited to see them. 95% of the model kits released in the past 2 years, I could care less about. But I don't go posting about how stupid it is for model manuracturers to release them. They obviously have someone in place that tells them those kits will do well. And God forbid someone not contact you for your opinion and expert analysis of the situation.

I left this site once because of negativity towards anything new. Looks like I'm gone again. Y'all can have your fun bashing Salvinos and anything new that comes along.
newschool>oldschool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon Lester wrote:
http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=2234&highlight=nascar

But...but...but...I’m confused. Which way is it, Dave?!
spooker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Dave, you really got "OK, Boomer-ed"! I sure do miss the old forum!

I guess the companies had better keep the Millenials (or whatever they are) happy, we won't be around long enough to buy many of their new models anyway!
Damon Lester

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am far from a millennial or whatever you want to call us.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon Lester wrote:

Me too...55 going on 12

Welcoming anything new or old to the hobby. Very Happy
Damon Lester

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Wheels wrote:
Damon Lester wrote:

Me too...55 going on 12

Welcoming anything new or old to the hobby. Very Happy

Me too!! Bring it on!!
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not locking this thread, many of you are probably waiting to see that, but for now everybody has vented some now let's just chill a little bit. Opinions are like....wait a minute let's not go there...lol

Discussion will stay open if it does not get any more heated.
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing, just like face book, somebody will voice their opinion and somebody else will them they are wrong. Facts are facts, opinions are yours, nobody is wrong. Like he said, lighten up.
I wish Salvino's would do the Ford sometime. I have a great body to do the 76 to 80 Mercs, just think of all the kits they could get out of this body. Brand new in the bag. But, maybe sometime in the future.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon Lester wrote:

Thanks for that link. As I stated in those posts Revell is NOT interested.
Ed Sexton comfirms this.
NASCAR licensing is not an issue any longer, true per Salvinos.
Salvinos was not able to acquire the Revell Fusion and SS tooling...like I said and confirmed by Salvinos.
Salvinos does not even have the 3D drawings yet....so we still do not have a modern kit.
Nothing in those posts are out of line.
I STATED I'd buy the Camaro IF it comes out....how is that hating???
A little polite truth and the world goes crazy....I did not call out anyone like I was. Thx
martinfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, im always excited to see new NASCAR kits get done.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading the posts here got me to thinking (That could be trouble(LOL)).
What would the model kits have looked like if personal computers AND the internet were around 50 years ago (as in 1971) have looked like? And not jus NASCAR kits?

What would the AMT Grant King sprint car kit looked like? especially the tires and the ease (not) of builidng those kits. Same goes for the Tobias style Modifieds?

Would the Jo-Han Superbird chassis had been done different"
Would the MPC early 1970's NASCAR kits have had better frames, etc.
AND bodies?"

Would AMT, MPC, Monogram, Revell, and other companies have lasted longer as independents longer than they did?
Maybe, maybe not.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the builder of ANY kit to try and add as much detail as they cn. Or to get a build exactly as it ran in ONE race. More power to those who do so!

And we all complain about the cost of model car kits, and I am one of them, but compared to those in model railroading, the price of car kits IS very cheap as compared to model trains.And I'm not talking about imported brass versions,

And where would car modeling be today IF their were not "cottage" companies to create parts or decals for all the builds that show up here and other sites.. And a number of those companies have gone by the wayside as well....

Just my ramblings....
Very Happy
steveracer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I would welcome a current gen Camaro if it were available, that way I could build some of the cool graphic schemes of Larson or JJ for example.

Also, right now CAD data is available for the bodies (know for fact it was available months ago) and chassis as well from the OEM and from NASCAR if they want to be a willing partner for the new car.

Just sayin, a lot is right there for the next car as well as the current.

I will accept either. I am old as dirt. Speaking of dirt, we could build dirt variants of the current car now couldn't we....
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they would just wait and do kits for all of them once the new car finally comes out. Aren't they all basically going to be the same except for grille/headlight and tailight/rear panel decals? I really haven't been keeping up with the new car that much.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
I wish they would just wait and do kits for all of them once the new car finally comes out. Aren't they all basically going to be the same except for grille/headlight and tailight/rear panel decals? I really haven't been keeping up with the new car that much.
..agree checkers2
martinfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:

Its hard to know right now, but we will know more next month when all manufactures are on track for their first test with the bodies they designed and presented to NASCAR, the body that we have been seeing is simply a generic body.

But more than likely, its going to be same as the Gen6.

I do to a point agree with you and rather see them put the tooling money towards doing the new car, but there a lot of Camaro schemes I would like to build and the only option is resin bodies and no chassis to use. So bring it on I say Very Happy
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
I do to a point agree with you and rather see them put the tooling money towards doing the new car, but there a lot of Camaro schemes I would like to build and the only option is resin bodies and no chassis to use. So bring it on I say Very Happy

HERETIC!!!!!!!
kidding..... Very Happy
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jimbo's actually getting drawings from Nascar and GM, then there's absolutely ZERO excuse for this car not to be perfect.

It's a proven fact that he doesn't have the best eye for proportions, we've ..deadhorse into dust. I'm cautiously optimistic this will be great, but the 2+2 and LeMans left a lot to be desired....and I still can't believe we've only seen CAD drawings of the Charger that's supposed to be out end of March or April.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Salvinos SAT FaceSpace show they hold up a production Charger 73-74 body for a few seconds....what I saw was much better the the PL Charger....but final call will be when we see it in hand.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My humblest opinion on this, I'm dang excited for this kit to come out. I'm not the biggest supporter of Salvinos, I don't build those "old" cars, I kept thinking why don't they build current stuff? I see they had to build the "old" cars to save up some money flow to tool newer stuff. My first kit from them was the Charger pre-order(still waiting on them to arrive). I'm hoping they make the Mustang and Camry as well in kit form, I'd also like to see them revamp the SS and Fusion kit as well, maybe even the Impala. A lot of great decals out there for these cars and I'd build some "new" stuff as well. Well done Salvinos! As I said, I'm not their biggest fan until now.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
tomcat65

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things...

-I am very much looking forward to the Gen6 Chevy Camaro. Hope they get the Ford Mustang out as well. They have all the legal stuff from NASCAR worked out. But they still have to get Ford's approval. NASCAR owns the rights to the chassis', but the manufacturers own the rights to the their body styles. Salvino's already has an agreement in place with GM. The rumor I heard about Ford, is they are asking alot of $$$. Hearing Atlantis Models is having the same problem with Ford to reissue Ford kits they got from Revell. Toyota well see. Most know why Revell never got to do a Toyota Gen6 kit, along with the Chevy SS & Fusion...

-Reading through the comments. It seems a few of you are confused as to the Gen6 car & Gen7 car. Now, I could be reading things wrong... The Gen6 car started in 2013, and will run through the end of 2021(was suppose to be 2020, but Covid created delays in developing the Gen7 car). In that time period, Chevy ran the Chevy SS & Camaro. Ford ran the Fusion & Mustang. & Toyota has run the Camry... The Gen7 car will debut at the start of the 2022 season. Development is ongoing. The test car body we see in picks, is a "mash up" of all 3 makes proposed model they will used(Camaro, Mustang, & Camry). The final body designs from the makes are not known at this time. But are suppose to be revealed late spring/early summer... With all that said. I see a Gen6 car selling for some time, even though the real car goes away at the end of the year. Having all the decals makes out there, they will have plenty of offerings for kits to build. I have 22 Revell Chevy SS kits(snap& glue) & 8 or 9 Revell Ford Fusion kits(snap & glue). I plan on getting several Salvino's Camaro's & a few Mustang's....

Sorry for the long post. If there was confusion over the Gen6 & Gen7, I wanted to help clear it up...

Thomas

Thomas
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must have been a huge change at Ford Licensing in the past few years. Ford in the past has PAID to have model produced. Going back to the Ford Mustang IMSA GTX kit, the GTP kits, the IMSA and Trans Am Mustangs and the Fusion were all effoerts that were paid for in full or part by Ford. Hate to hear it has changed.
One of the first Ford so-operation models
martinfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomcat65 wrote:
Couple of things...

The final body designs from the makes are not known at this time. But are suppose to be revealed late spring/early summer...

Late March at Martinsville (possibly with manufacturer-specific cars) is what is currently being said, so that would be the first look.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to learn this Camaro is coming out. I'm a Chase Elliott fan and even though family members teamed up to buy me an elite series diecast of the Phoenix car, I would love to build one of his Mountain Dew scheme cars.

Pretty sure his popularity would ensure a good number of these kits will sell promptly.

And Bubba Wallace's Air Force Warthog scheme and that #24 Axalta car this year are others I'd do.
Taz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a rummer ,or is it a sure thing ? I haven't seen any info other than on this thread.

thanks
Ron
tomcat65

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rumor... Salvino's has a signed contract in place with NASCAR. They already have a contract with GM. And also have a contract with Hendrick motorsports. NASCAR owns the right to the chassis & the manufacturers owns the rights to the body designs. NASCAR & GM will be providing them with detailed CAD info to do a GEN6 Chevy Camaro. Chase Elliott's #9 NAPA 2020
Championship winning car from Phoenix will be the first car. Estimated release of the kit is August. Their contract with NASCAR states they have to release 2 of the Camaro kits before the end of the year. The 2nd release is yet to be decided, and most likely will be done by a vote of the Builder's Club members. As for Ford & Toyota, they still have to get deals/contracts in place with them. But NASCAR is working with Salvino's to get that done... They will also be doing the GEN7 car that will debut in 2022. They are hoping that will be released in Dec. of this year or Jan. 2022...

Thomas
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomcat65 wrote:
They will also be doing the GEN7 car that will debut in 2022. They are hoping that will be released in Dec. of this year or Jan. 2022...

Good to hear! My initial concern was that they were prioritizing the current car over the next gen car. Glad to hear that’s not the case.
Taz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomcat65 wrote:
No rumor... Salvino's has a signed contract in place with NASCAR. They already have a contract with GM. And also have a contract with Hendrick motorsports. NASCAR owns the right to the chassis & the manufacturers owns the rights to the body designs. NASCAR & GM will be providing them with detailed CAD info to do a GEN6 Chevy Camaro. Chase Elliott's #9 NAPA 2020
Championship winning car from Phoenix will be the first car. Estimated release of the kit is August. Their contract with NASCAR states they have to release 2 of the Camaro kits before the end of the year. The 2nd release is yet to be decided, and most likely will be done by a vote of the Builder's Club members. As for Ford & Toyota, they still have to get deals/contracts in place with them. But NASCAR is working with Salvino's to get that done... They will also be doing the GEN7 car that will debut in 2022. They are hoping that will be released in Dec. of this year or Jan. 2022...

Thomas
.boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie .boogie

Thank you for that. I should have known it was true when I saw the resin finally back in stock at Mike's Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ron
bigryan18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that Toyota did'nt allow Revell to kit a Camry I'm not seeing how Salvino's will be able to do one and I hope they don't screw up the Gen6 and or Gen7..
martinfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomcat65 wrote:
As for Ford & Toyota, they still have to get deals/contracts in place with them. But NASCAR is working with Salvino's to get that done... They will also be doing the GEN7 car that will debut in 2022. They are hoping that will be released in Dec. of this year or Jan. 2022...

Thomas

Thats interesting because Toyota woudnt allow Revell the rights, they will only allow a Japanese company the rights .

Don't get me wrong, I WOULD LOVE to have the Camry in plastic kit form but unless something has changed, its not gonna happen.
Matt T.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the latest Saturday morning video (from 3/13, Facebook), it seems like he's getting the manufacturer CAD files for the bodies, but is designing the chassis CAD files himself. He also mentioned he is taking advice from several builders so that everything is as close to perfect as it can be. Fingers crossed. I would love a nice Mustang kit.
tomcat65

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment they will only be getting the Gen6 Chevy Camaro body. Because they have a contract with GM. Salvino's does not have a contract with Ford or Toyota. Until that happens, no CAD stuff for the Mustang or Camry. NASCAR owns the rights to the Chassis. So they will have that... As for if we will see a Toyota kit, due to they told Revell they had zero interest in an American model company doing a kit of their NASCAR Cars. And all the Japanese companies said they had no interest in doing them... Who knows. NASCAR said they would help Salvino's to get Ford & Toyota under contract. But from someone(me) who worked a PR/Market job in motorsports, the final say is in the hands of Ford & Toyota, cause they own the rights to the body designs.
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that on Mike's Decals page, he lists "use Salvinos 2021 Camaro for donor" for a lot of MPR decals... this is promising that it will actually come out; I feel this way because of how close Mike is with the Salvinos folks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: