Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunoco blue baffles me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Sunoco blue baffles me... Reply with quote

So i have 3 different builds that have Sunoco livery... 69 Penske Camaro, Penske Sunoco indy car, and something that i am working off and on, a 1992 Sunoco Tbird.

MCW says that Sunoco blue is “Racing Blue”, which also works for the lighter Valvoline blue of Mark Martin. This seems too “blue” to me, to me the Sunoco cars almost seem to have a purplish tint to them. I have some Tamiya Racing Blue that, with a spoon test over grey primer, looks pretty close to the blue in the Powerslide Sunoco decals. Gonna give that a whirl for the ‘Bird.

Anyone have any suggestions?
northstar55

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: SUNOCO PAINTS Reply with quote

try this:

https://www.zero-paints.com/Sunoco_Blue_Paint_60ml--product--160.html
iceman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at Model Master Blue Angle Blue,
some guys say it is real close.
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceman wrote:
Did you look at Model Master Blue Angle Blue,
some guys say it is real close.

I started with Tamiya Navy Blue, which i would think is their version of Blue Angel blue. Too dark, at least compared to the blue on the decals.
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: SUNOCO PAINTS Reply with quote

northstar55 wrote:
try this:

https://www.zero-paints.com/Sunoco_Blue_Paint_60ml--product--160.html

That would obviously be perfect... if i used an airbrush. I am a rattle can guy.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tamiya blue over their gray primer. Close enough for me.....
m2joe4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used MCW #2027 - Sunoco Blue, and it looks great. Definitely has the dull purple tint. Definitely very different from the Valvoline Blue I have from MCW.

I tried Model Master Blue Angels Blue as well but I preferred the 2027 Blue.
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m2joe4 wrote:
I've used MCW #2027 - Sunoco Blue, and it looks great. Definitely has the dull purple tint. Definitely very different from the Valvoline Blue I have from MCW.

I tried Model Master Blue Angels Blue as well but I preferred the 2027 Blue.

There are 2 Valvoline blues that MCW sells, if i remember right. One is 1991-1995 and the other is 1996 and up. The 1996 and up is racing blue.
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looked, MCW has Valvoline blue as 2049 dark blue, and 2133 blue for 1996+, and 2027 racing blue for Sunoco. So it appears i was wrong.
m2joe4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense - 2049 is the Valvoline Blue I have, which is darker than the 2027 Sunoco blue.

Does MCW still sell rattle cans? I haven't seen them when I've stopped by their shop.

If you don't airbrush, think about one of those cheap Testors sets with the simple brush that does not require all the cleaning and adjustments. No needles or nozzles to clean, very easy to use. i still use mine for single color paint jobs. I think you can find them for around $20. Start with propellant, and move up to a cheap Harbor Freight compressor w/moisture trap and regulator. Great way to start, and it opens up a ton of options for paint matching.
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m2joe4 wrote:
Makes sense - 2049 is the Valvoline Blue I have, which is darker than the 2027 Sunoco blue.

Does MCW still sell rattle cans? I haven't seen them when I've stopped by their shop.

If you don't airbrush, think about one of those cheap Testors sets with the simple brush that does not require all the cleaning and adjustments. No needles or nozzles to clean, very easy to use. i still use mine for single color paint jobs. I think you can find them for around $20. Start with propellant, and move up to a cheap Harbor Freight compressor w/moisture trap and regulator. Great way to start, and it opens up a ton of options for paint matching.

I thought you had to ask for rattle cans from MCW, that they fill them on order...

I do have one of those cheap Testors propellant can airbrushes. Got it specifically to put Tamiya acrylic clear yellow on my 1/12 Ferrari F1 build (if i ever get around to tackling it🤔) brake cooling ducts.

It’s a thought...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: