Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1992 Davey Allison Texaco Havoline Thunderbird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: 1992 Davey Allison Texaco Havoline Thunderbird Reply with quote

After a long time, and some bad weather for doing any outdoor painting or clear coating, I am finally done with building Davey Allison's car as it looked on "One Hot Night" when the green flag dropped for the 1992 running of The Winston. This was the first speedway event run under the lights, and it was quite the memorable affair as well with an incredible finish, with Dale Earnhardt spinning from the lead in turn 3, then Kyle Petty and Davey Allison banging fenders to the checkered flag. While Davey's car got destroyed in a crash right after the finish line, I opted to build his car as it looked earlier in the night, as it was in my opinion one of the best looking racecars ever to hit the track. Plus, Robert Yates wouldn't let them push the damage car into victory lane, so I guess it's only fitting to make the car nice and clean for this build!

I even used my Kyle Petty build to recreate a photo from the side-by-side run to the finish line!

Here are some other shots of the car.

I always get questions about how I did specific things during the build, so hopefully some of you all find this information helpful. But please ask if I didn't mention something!
Monogram 1991 Davey Allison kit with Powerslide decals.
Tamiya TS-14 black with Tamiya TS-13 clear for the body. Tamiya TS-8 Italian red for the chassis.
To make the grill, I used Future acrylic floor finish to glue some metallic silver mesh material (I got it from the ribbon section at the hobby store) onto a thin piece of evergreen plastic that was painted black. I then cut it into shape, and used Tamiya Smoke to tone down the brightness and darken it overall. The left bottom section was a bit brighter than the other pieces of the grill on the real car, so I tried to recreate that here.
The rollbar padding is made from heat shrink tubing sliced open and painted red, with sewing thread used for zip ties.
I used a piece of white dental floss for the in-car camera wiring (there were both front and rear facing cameras in the cockpit for this race).
For the body, I filled in the side lines, smoothed out the bumper transitions, and built a new spoiler from scratch. The antenna is made from thin brass rod painted black, with a small piece of evergreen tube painted silver for the base. I used pieces of evergreen sheet painted silver for the jack plates.
For the chassis, I used the 1991 Monogram Davey Allison kit as the base, but ended up making a lot of the bars from scratch using evergreen rods since the kit rollcage was very inaccurate. I also added a lot of interior detail made with evergreen plastic to match the real car, such as a shoulder brace on the seat and the cooling box behind it. The radio cable is made from scale mode plug wire that I wrapped around a thin brass rod to get the coil shape, then pulled off the rod and glued into place.
The cooling hoses are made from extension springs and held in shape using a thick brass rod bent into the right shape.
I made a new right rear quarter window without the NACA duct, and added a NACA duct to the front corner of the passenger side window, using clear PETG. The bolts for the quarter windows were made with the tip of my hobby knife, since it made them look lighter than the surrounding black, but not as obvious as painting would have been. I felt that was a better fit for how this car actually looked.
I used photo etched bolts for the rear spoiler, and a piece of aluminum tube for the fuel overflow.
I drew the front air dam adjusters by hand with a Sharpie.
The exhaust pipes are made from evergreen tube smashed into shape and painted, then stained with Tamiya Smoke.
To make the red and blue stripes on the inside of the wheel rims, I used white primer, then black paint, and after the paint dried I used the edge of my hobby knife to scrape away two rings of paint. It was tricky because of the position of them, so I had to do some touch-up paint on the black. Finally I colored in the white stripes using a red and blue Sharpie. I added valve stems made from small pieces of evergreen tube.
For the tires, I cleared the sidewalls with TS-13 to get a smooth surface before applying the Goodyear decals, and I drew the tire markings by hand. I then used some more Tamiya Smoke to take away some of the bright white finish, and TS-80 flat clear to finish the sidewalls.
randman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!

I was going to ask about the wheels, but thanks for the description. They turned out great.
gks1964

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan
You did a wonderful job!!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FANTASTIC job on this one!!!
notworthy
..applause ..applause ..applause ..applause
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUTSTANDING build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, congrats on another perfect build. Exceptionally beautiful.
jsgoodson68

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notworthy
BW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! What a piece of art that build is! I admire and appreciate all the meticulous fine details, and the hard work, you put into this build. The result is spectacular. The black paint is about good as one can achieve. Well done Dan! You've certainly inspired me to build one of Davey's black Havoline cars.
Thanks for posting and keep'em comin'!
-Bobby
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the nice comments everyone!
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely amazing detail work.
Wakefan77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great build and a beautiful racecar!
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, your work is nothing short of stunning. The stance, the paint and the detailing are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing and inspiring all of us.
.boogie .boogie .boogie
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I had to go back and see one of your finished models using the black mirror effect set up. It adds so much to the viewing enjoyment of seeing your finished build. I bought some glass and some black poster board. I already have the black paint, and I'm going to try it myself. If it looks okay, you will see the build I just finished here in the showroom, in the near future, using my method. If it looks terrible, you won't. It will just be sitting on some light gray poster board as always. Hope you don't mind me trying your method, sort of. Mine is not going to look as refined as yours.
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it Mark! You can PM me if you have any questions about it. One quick tip: make sure you clean the glass right before you use it, and then frequently wipe it down between every picture you take. Every little speck of dust will show up bigtime, and even with frequent cleaning I have to edit out tons of little white spots that stick out like a sore thumb in the raw pictures.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Belcher wrote:
Looking forward to it Mark! You can PM me if you have any questions about it. One quick tip: make sure you clean the glass right before you use it, and then frequently wipe it down between every picture you take. Every little speck of dust will show up bigtime, and even with frequent cleaning I have to edit out tons of little white spots that stick out like a sore thumb in the raw pictures.

Thanks for the okay to try it. That's a great tip to clean between photos. I'm hoping to get 1/10th the results you get. I'm sure I will have to do a lot of editing. I always end up with little specks on the windshield or other places that I didn't see while taking the photos but show up big time when I check the results of the photos. Thank goodness I have a vector graphics program to clean up with.
#3forlife

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn good looking ride DEAD ON!!!!!!!!
Shunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, great to see such a nice build of one of Davey’s cars.
TiminToledo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an amazing black paint job. Well done! I love the extra touches, and the look of the tires is spot on.

How did you do the dash/gauge details. Very crisp and clear! Thanks!
Slipster17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent - truly. That color looks like it was poured on. I loved the #42 when you posted that one a few months back and this is an awesome addition!
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

TiminToledo wrote:

The gauges are Powerslide decals. I didn't bother to remove the molded gauges or anything, I just applied the decal right over them, and used Solvaset to help them lay down well. Then I put a couple coats of Future over them. The rings around the gauges, bolts, lights, and switches are just hand painted using a dry brush at a very flat angle. For the black box area around the switches, I used masking tape to keep the lines straight.
TiminToledo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Belcher wrote:
Thanks all!

TiminToledo wrote:

The gauges are Powerslide decals. I didn't bother to remove the molded gauges or anything, I just applied the decal right over them, and used Solvaset to help them lay down well. Then I put a couple coats of Future over them. The rings around the gauges, bolts, lights, and switches are just hand painted using a dry brush at a very flat angle. For the black box area around the switches, I used masking tape to keep the lines straight.

I can never get the decals to look that good with the kit raised needles/numbers under them. I was thinking about trying drilling through the molded ones, and mounting the decal behind, but think it will be too sunk in.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord! What a Build! That's fantastic!
lefty1820

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Beautiful Reply with quote

Beautiful build!

I remember that night like it was yesterday! How exciting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: