Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smokey Yunik Ford?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Smokey Yunik Ford? Reply with quote

I recently picked up a collection and it came with a box of decals. In this box of decals was one particular set that I'm fascinated with, it is Fred Cady decals of Smokey Yuniks Torino! Everyone knows who Smokey is, but I always associated him with GM cars. Not until I got these decals was I even aware Smokey drove any kind of Ford!

I am going to use a David Pearson Polar Light model kit to build it....can't wait!!
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, cool car. When those PL torino came out I ordered those decals either from Cady or BSR right away. Then the Pontiac soon afterwards. Don t forget the 57 Fairlane either.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokey Yunick mostly ran the car make that Bunkie Knutsen paid him to run. Pontiac Division 1st, then Chevrolet, then Ford as Knutsen moved about the Auto Industry. And Smokey did not drive the cars, he only built and maintained them.
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Smokey as a driver! Imagine the fireworks that would have ensued! He was ornery enough as a car owner! I also would have loved to hear some of the conversations between Smokey and his drivers. I can just hear Smokey and Uncle Bobby teaching each other swear words!

Brian
john843

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that a Yunick car that Big Bill France threatened to drive (and actually made a few practice laps in) at Talladega in '69?
It may have been someone else's car that just looked like Smokey's given the Yunick/France relationship over the years.

John
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that a Yunick car that Big Bill France threatened to drive (and actually made a few practice laps in) at Talladega in '69?
It may have been someone else's car that just looked like Smokey's given the Yunick/France relationship over the years.

John

Ha Ha !!! Laughing If Smokey had received such a request from a man he DETESTED -- I can only imagine what kind of special touches he would have done to the car first !?!? Rolling Eyes
Loosen lug nuts, hood pins, maybe the steering wheel too ??? Smear cat poop on the drivers' side exhaust pipe ??? ..stir
2002p51

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one I did from the Polar Lights kit and Fred Cady decals.

[/img]
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't Swede Savage driive a Ford for Smokey? Seem to remember seeing pics on a F/B site Just don't remember if it was the Talladega or the Torino Cobra most likely at Daytona in Feb....1968 or 1969?
Racer14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Smokey's Torino Talladaga races were in 69. Swede drove it once at Atlanta. Joe Leonard, Charlie Glotzbach and Bobby Unser shared it too. Only Glotzbach got it to the finish.
2002p51

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Smokey's Cup record:

https://www.racing-reference.info/owner/Smokey_Yunick
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002p51 wrote:
Here's Smokey's Cup record:

https://www.racing-reference.info/owner/Smokey_Yunick

Or the "official" record anyway. Smokey didn't like to put his own name on the entry blank as the owner for some reason, most (if not all) the Pontiacs were entered with Jim Stephens listed as the owner and the Hudsons were listed with Herb Thomas listed as the owner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: