Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1984 Cale Yarborough Monte Carlo SS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: 1984 Cale Yarborough Monte Carlo SS Reply with quote

This is the Salvinos JR Cale Yarborough Monte Carlo SS.

The colors are Tamiya TS-26 (Pure White) and MCW 2012 (Red/Orange). This was my first time using MCW paints and I went a little too heavy on the body so it turned out a bit more red.

I swapped the wheels with 5 hole wheels from a T-Bird kit, built a new exhaust, and added the camera antenna on the trunk. This is my first attempt at adding roll bar padding. I used 1/16th heat shrink and black thread for the straps. I added the front air dam (or whatever it’s called) by tracing the piece that is included in the Pontiac Grand Prix kits. I wasn’t too happy with the kit windshield fit, so I built my own and added the bars that connect to the dash. Other than that, it is stock, including ride height.
More pictures in the gallery:

Cale Yarborough Hardees Monte Carlo SS

BW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic build randman! That interior and chassis is perfect. Nice touch using the 5-Hole wheels. That's always a pain to find donors and I hate robbing a kit for wheels. Stance looks spot on and the windshield fix was well worth the extra work. Well done! Thanks for posting and keep'em comin'!
-Bobby
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build -- that Hardees Orange is hard to match to decals; nice job. I used Floquil Railroad Colors SP Daylight Orange for mine, turned out two shades too pale for Monogram Decals.
If I read correctly, the Salvinos MCSS kit does NOT have the lower portion of the front air dam ??? If so, then they did the kit correctly for mid - 1983 through the end of the 1985 season.
I don't own any of the Salvinos kits, but I also do not understand ( having read many reports of same ) why they boogered up the windshield opening ? I know this is a delicate area of the body mold tooling, with both the hot half and ejector half meeting in the windshield opening, and the need for critical accuracy there. If the shut-off area has worn with time ( and a half - million shots ), it is routine to weld up the affected areas, and re - cut them. Takes a few days and a few more dollars.
randman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the same molds from the original Monogram kits. The air dam piece I am referring to attaches to the chassis. I don't think any of the GM kits of that era had it except the Pontiacs. The windshield opening on the body has not changed, but the glass (and the tires) are new molds. I copied the windshield outline from a Monogram kit I had to make a template. The Monogram windshield would have fit fine.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY NICE BUILD!!!!!!!
..applause ..applause ..applause
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!
Gary Davis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Randman. I like that color on the nose. The 5 hole wheels sure look good on it too!!

I've been a member since 2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: