Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ravages of Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2002p51

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: The Ravages of Time Reply with quote

In the first photo below, the Buick Regal was painted with Tamiya X-2 White just last week. The Laguna was painted with Testors Gloss White some 40+ years ago. Back in the 1978 - 1980 time period, I was doing sign painting and pin striping on the side. And before after market decals were a thing, I was hand painting a lot of race car models. The Laguna is one of those and is all hand lettered. Unfortunately, you can't really tell in the photos but the white paint on the Laguna has changed significantly over time. It's now a very off-white, almost buff color. A very good friend of mine, who has since passed away, used to always tell me that these old, poorly done models were a physical history of how my modeling skills have improved over the years. And I should never re-do them. So, I'll finally get to the point of this long post. I want your opinion. Decals are available for this car. What would you do? Re-spray and new decals or leave it alone? I'm really interested in what everybody thinks.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled a 1987 Thunderbird I scratchbuilt before the Monogram kit came out....or any resins. It was Mark Martin #1 car.....something happened to the primer and the paint is all lifting. Only good thing is it looks very much like a barn find!!! Time marches on!
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave it for the reasons your friend mentioned. As I was getting better at building I sold alot of my cars that didn't turn out just like I wanted and oddly I wish I had most of them back now. If you really want a nice one, everything is readily available, just build a new one. My thoughts.

Tom
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have been pulling old models out of storage boxes, gluing on loose or missing pieces and sticking them in my display cabinet as examples of the progression of my skills and improvements in paint and finishing methods. I do very little repainting, just obvious touch-ups. Just did a Baker K&K MPC Charger and an Olds Modified Stocker with an Ulrich Mini-Man driver!

Brian
Taz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be easy to redo, but the fact you hand lettered it and it really looks nice, shows a lost talent and all the reason to leave it alone, way better story than....yea I did hand letter that one but chose to go the way of the "decal".
It tells a story and looks great, leave it.

Ron
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it alone. That build is behind you and there are countless builds in front of you. Plus, as stated. You hand lettered it!

Other than the convenience of white cars, I hate them for this reason but it's part of the hobby.
2002p51

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the consensus is save it. So I pulled a new kit out of my inventory. The hand lettered car will be saved.

I appreciate everybody's input. Thanks.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
It would be easy to redo, but the fact you hand lettered it and it really looks nice, shows a lost talent and all the reason to leave it alone, way better story than....yea I did hand letter that one but chose to go the way of the "decal".
It tells a story and looks great, leave it.

Ron

I agree completely. You put more effort into the Hand - Lettered car than most have spent on a decalled car - be PROUD of It !!! ..up
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it as-is. A lot of heart and soul went into that build.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1975 build of the Wood's car.....recently dug it out, dusted it....put her in the case. History!
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razorback 46 wrote:
Leave it as-is. A lot of heart and soul went into that build.

..agree

Spend your time on a new build Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: