Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bobby Allison in 1982

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2002p51

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison in 1982 Reply with quote

Well, I broke down and bought another Salvinos kit. Since these are all made from Monogram's old molds how bad could they be right?

So yea, this one turned out okay. It's not a full detail model by any means and I knocked this out in just a couple of days.

Paint is Tamiya X-2 White. The interior and chassis is all done in Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black. Plus the usual various colors of metalizers and others for detail painting. The kit decals from Powerslide are excellent, of course, but they did need a little help in places. I split the green panels on the front fender in two right at the top of the wheel opening to help them get around and over that compound curve. Did the same thing with the "Gatorade" on the rear fenders. But I cut those in several pieces. "Gat", "or", and "ade". and I separated the upper lighting bolt to slide it back away from the 1/4 window.

Since this is all Monogram stuff I was surprised by the poor fit of the "glass" parts. I broke out some spare ones from an original Monogram kit and they fit much better.

And just for reference, here are a couple of photos I shot of the car at the June race at Riverside Raceway in California. Note that the fuel filler is on the right side since, at Riverside, the cars enter the pits the opposite direction as they do on an oval.

Monteman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! What did you use on the wheels?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glass parts are newly tooled by Salvinos
2002p51

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monteman wrote:
Great job! What did you use on the wheels?

Just some Tamiya XF-16 flat aluminum.
2002p51

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
The glass parts are newly tooled by Salvinos

Well, that explains the poor fit. Smile
lefty1820

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Beautiful Reply with quote

Beautiful!!

May I ask what brand of white you used?

Jeff
2002p51

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Beautiful Reply with quote

lefty1820 wrote:
Beautiful!!

May I ask what brand of white you used?

Jeff

It's in the description above, right after the third photo.
pitstop48

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY NICELY DONE!!!!!!
..applause ..applause ..applause ..applause
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual Drew . You have given us a crisp, clean, beautiful model to behold. Thanks for the heads up on the Salvino issues.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!!
lefty1820

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Doh!! Reply with quote

Missed that description of the build.

Thanks

Jeff
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. I spent two hours tweaking things so their version of the front window would fit!!
2002p51

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project "Allison '82" Phase II

This is a Monogram Buick, originally built back in the '80s, that I repainted this week and used new Powerslide decals on. Paint colors are the same as used on the Monte Carlo at the top of this post.

The 'a' and the 'd' in Gatorade on this side got chipped somehow during final assembly. I'll have to see if I can patch that with some scrap decal. Sad

2002p51

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project "Allison '82" Phase II

In November of 1982 I got these shots of Allison in a Pontiac LeMans at Riverside California.

So, I had to do a model.

I did the usual bodywork, i.e. shortened the front end slightly and reshaped the rear quarter windows. I shortened the rear spoiler as NASCAR made the LeMans run with a shorter one than the other cars. I also opened up the wheel openings a little as they are in the photos. And, since this is a Riverside car I relocated the fuel filler from the left side to the right.

Those guys made that a little easier by not filling in the hole for the old filler and just covering it from behind with a plate. So that's what I did too. The right side fuel filler is one that I cut out of a scrap Monogram body.

The decals were probably the hardest part of the project. It certainly was the most complicated decal job I've done in a long time. The Powerslide decals are designed for the Buick Regal and that body has 1/2" more area on the side for these graphics than the LeMans does. Most of the side graphics had to be cut and spliced or overlapped to fit on the shorter body. Each graphic element was applied separately. I started with the numbers on the door and worked my way out to both ends. I didn't get the spacing perfect on either side but it's close and will have to do. And if you compare the location of the fuel filler on the right side to the photo of the actual car it is too far back. I had to do that to keep it from cutting into the 'G' . The Gatorade graphic, being for a larger car, takes up more space on the model than it does on the real car.

And so that brings Project Allison '82 to a conclusion. If you are still reading this far down the post, thank you. And as a way of a small reward, here are photos of all three cars together.

And here's a the link to Bobby Allison's 1982 season so you can see which tracks he ran which of the three cars.

https://www.racing-reference.info/drivdet/allisbo01/1982/W

Thanks for reading through all this. As usual comments, critique, and opinions are encouraged and welcome.
afx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice builds. I really like that livery.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Stuff. I always wondered why DiGard brought a SuperSpeedway car to Riverside ??? I recall the LeMans was a new build for Talladega, with adjustable brake bias and a few other tricks, but still... Rolling Eyes The November 1982 NASCAR Race at Riverside was the only Cup race I missed there in the track's last 8 years of operation. Sad A real fan - friendly track -- Gone... Sad Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: