Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Decals Turning Yellow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2002p51

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Old Decals Turning Yellow Reply with quote

Not sure if it shows very well in this photo but; This model is more than 30 years old. (Yea, I know, hard to believe) It's done with Fred Cady decals. If you look closely you might be able to see that the clear areas of the decals have yellowed badly.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Or should I just get a new set of Powerslide decals and repaint? [/img]
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glue used to hold the printed decal to the body is aging and turning yellow/brown. That or the clear carrier Fred used is doing the same. Nothing you can do now about it.
In the future try and remove 99% of the glue under the decal. A damp paper towel used like a Squeegee will help. Not a slam on Fred's decals....it was the process of the time....and he did it all by himself!
2002p51

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
The glue used to hold the printed decal to the body is aging and turning yellow/brown. That or the clear carrier Fred used is doing the same. Nothing you can do now about it.
In the future try and remove 99% of the glue under the decal. A damp paper towel used like a Squeegee will help. Not a slam on Fred's decals....it was the process of the time....and he did it all by himself!

That's what I was thinking too. In those early days of aftermarket decals Fred Cady was the only game in town for certain subjects.

Oh well, I have a lot of these old Monogram Buicks in my stash. Time to break out another one I guess.

Thanks.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would sitting the body in natural sunlight for a few days help? I have done that with unused decals that were turning dark.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remove the body, wipe on some Citri-Strip and it will remove down to plastic....start over!
2002p51

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordering new decals tomorrow! Smile

[/img]
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have tried putting it in the sun for a few days to a week first
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: