Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lacquer clear w/ gold pearl flakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: lacquer clear w/ gold pearl flakes Reply with quote

Are there any lacquer hobby paints with to scale gold flakes in it? If so, what is the brand and where can I get it?
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some House of Color micro gold pearl flakes and put some in clear acrylic and airbrush it.

I did this to replicate how the old Wood brothers cars were painted in the late 60's to early 80's. Sprayed it over Ford candy apple red, which is not a "candy" color, just a deep red. Since I used Scalefinishes actual automotive enamel, I had to let it cure quite awhile before clearing over, it will spiderweb on you if the undercoat is not completely dry.
RCB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add gold flake clear over MCW Candy Apple Red is why I asked. Does the gold flakes spread out evenly or does i look like the flakes are in clusters? I have used House of Kolor with great results as their products are to notch. I am getting ready to do some Cyclones with that process in mind.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the 6 months reply. I must have missed your question. If I am not too late, the gold flakes spread fine and even as long as your clear/gold flake is mixed well before spraying. I always test my flake to clear ratio for the desired effect before doing a car top. I have seen different Wood Brother's cars with more or less gold flake over the red. Find a look you like by adding flakes until it makes you happy.
joe b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't tamiya make a rattlecan clear with pearl gold flake?

joe
RCB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used the Tamiya clear as my friends say it will eat decals. But I always thought it was silver flake in it, don't know for sure.
joe b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true they might, i am not sure but if you need a clear with gold flake you wouldn't spray it over the decals anyway.
i thought it was gold flake in it but i don't even know if they make it anymore.

joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: