Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dale Jr. #31 white Sikkens BGN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Dale Jr. #31 white Sikkens BGN Reply with quote

little story to go along with this build... i live about 30 minutes or a little less from Gateway Int. Raceway (now WWT Raceway). I attended the first few Busch GN races that were held there. First year, in 1997, I went to the open pit area day and saw this young dude in a white firesuit, walking across the pit area... and not a soul bothered him. No one cared who he was, until next year. I knew who he was, just because of how closely I followed NASCAR. Yeah, Dale Jr., and no one bothered him for autographs that day... prolly the whole weekend.

Dale drove for DEI that year in a second car to Steve Park in the #3 AC Delco car, and it carried Sikkens sponsorship in 2 races. One was at Michigan, and the paint was dark blue. The white Sikkens car was run once, only at Gateway. Started 18th and finished 38th, crashing out. I never thought that I would be able to build this car, until I found out that MPR Mark made the decals. Man, I can't say enough about his stuff. This is the first build I used his decals for, and they are nice. The final pic, of the roof #31, was included to show how his decals snuggle around detail areas like the roof flaps without using any setting solution.

Anyway, big thanks to Mark, and on with the show. As always, comments and criticisms are expected and appreciated. Paint is Tamiya pure white on the body and Testors flat light aircraft gray on the chassis. Aaah, the chassis... had to do some cutting to make it all fit, think it was slightly warped, I know the body was slightly warped, you can see it when it's off the chassis. The left front wheel doesn't touch the base all the way, and the body doesn't stay all the way down on the chassis on the driver's side. Revellogram round sided MC with AMT exhaust. Not too many reference pics available of this car, at all. Had to guess on the yellow rookie stripe size.

HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build brother!!! Great little story as well, I find it odd that no one knew who he was or bothered him at least, his dad was a little bit famous after all Laughing Mark's decals are the shizz.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Henryjint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!!
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fine build. Ya did great!!!
R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build, I loved Dale's Sikkens cars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: