Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resin Mercury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Resin Mercury Reply with quote

So i finally got ahold of a nice Ace #21 Purolator sheet, and just from a quick hunt i found a resin Merc on SMH.

Questions-

Is it as nice as it looks?

What chassis to use?

How much of a pain is it to paint the headlight areas, grille, and bumpers, since from the pics it looks like they are molded on and not separate?

These are the questions i seek answers to before i buy one. Or are there other sources?

Thanks? 👍🏻
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one?:

If so, it's the one I used for my '76 "finish line" build.
It was mastered off a '72 Cougar body - totally different car, so it is small (consider it 1/26 scale), and the body sculpting of the windows, roof and hood are different from a '74-'76 Montego.

To correct all that, I sawed it back from windshield along the center of the roof and trunk and spaced out the width and added length at the back by spacing where the rear slopes down toward the bumper. I also scored and spread out the lower side body areas. The wheelbase is actually pretty accurate, so an AMT '90s Tbird chassis fits nicely, with a bit of shortening at the front clip (usually required of this chassis for '70s builds).

As far as painting, Alclad should be fine for the bumpers. The tricky part with these Woods Montegos is the thin red stripe down the center of the hood. I masked it along with the roof and it came out fine.
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, Blll Jobson did a heck of a job on his finish line Mercury. Very fine model. Wish I had such talent myself.
I had at one time bought a SMH Mercury Montego and while SMH items are normally quite acceptable, the Montego was way off. I took one look at it and threw it in the closet somewhere. I was not even going to attempt to use it.
Which is another credit to Bill for making a diamond from a piece of coal.

Gerald Smith is working on a Montego body using the Revell 76 Torino as a starting point. I recommend waiting until Gerald offers his body up.
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only good body for this body style was from MCW, last I looked they don't make it anymore. The SMH body uses the 73 Cougar body as the main portion . Like Bill, I found it way off and never plan on using it
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Brothers Junkie wrote:
... Like Bill, I found it way off and never plan on using it

Just got a thought. The front part of the SMH, forward of the firewall, seems to be done fairly well. (besides not having the correct V shape on the hood, and some bumper inaccuracies). Wondering if that could be mated to a Revell Torino body. The work needed on the back part seems manageable...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: