Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ghost White Toner and HP254dw Printer Tips & Tricks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What graphics software are you using??? You should be able to get better results with a laser.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
What graphics software are you using??? You should be able to get better results with a laser.

Adobe Photodeluxe 2.0. You can see the image it created. Its at the top of the last post. Obviously this laser printer did not print it very well. I think this printer is meant for tshirt transfers more then model car decals.Then again maybe it is the crumby micro mark paper. I havent given up yet.
martinfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

We can all thank a person who got a patent for decal paper. This person must have some money as they are filing all kinds of suits against folks selling paper.
Decals were invented in the 1800's so how this person got a patent I'd like investigated.
I used thousands of sheet of blue paper from BEL....I loved it and never had an issue....there were driven out by this patent. There is fraud somewhere.......RANT over...

You werent kidding Dave

Interesting read
https://www.musingaboutmud.com/tag/bel-decal-paper/

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7622237
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, I'm getting my ghost white toner tomorrow, if the tracking is correct. I'm setting up my defaults now so I will be ready to print when I get the toner cartridge. The only thing I'm having a question about is the instructions say to choose color transfer paper under paper type in the properties section. well there is no such choice, there is however a choice of colored paper. that is the closest choice I could find. also under a darker or lighter setting I'm going with full darker to make the image as opaque as i can get to stop any bleed through. In other words the blacker the image with the black cartridge will also be the whiter with the white cartridge. I already tested it with plain printer paper the black was blacker with the darkest setting and a light gray on the lightest setting so for a more white image you need to go darkest on this setting. I will test it tomorrow when i get the ghost white toner again with regular printer paper so as not to waste the expensive laser decal paper. Wish me luck.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question Mark. The "color paper" setting is referring to the color the actual decal paper is, yes? Just making sure I'm following. I'm just wondering what difference it would make unless the program needed to distinguish the background blue from any it may need to print? Or am I being weird again?
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Quick question Mark. The "color paper" setting is referring to the color the actual decal paper is, yes? Just making sure I'm following. I'm just wondering what difference it would make unless the program needed to distinguish the background blue from any it may need to print? Or am I being weird again?

Adam, I have no idea. I googled color transfer paper and it has something to do with t shirt making. i'm hoping that color paper is short for color transfer paper. I'm having to use the small touch screen on top of the printer with a thumbdrive containing the jpg file I created on my old computer to do the printing. The properties choices needless to say do not have a lot of room on that little screen. If the color paper choice doesn't work then there are plenty more choices to try from that little screen.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Adam, I have no idea. I googled color transfer paper and it has something to do with t shirt making. i'm hoping that color paper is short for color transfer paper. I'm having to use the small touch screen on top of the printer with a thumbdrive containing the jpg file I created on my old computer to do the printing. The properties choices needless to say do not have a lot of room on that little screen. If the color paper choice doesn't work then there are plenty more choices to try from that little screen.
I'm glad there are options but, it sounds like there's a few design flaws in it. Any chance there's a way to link the window to your monitor? Maybe get it larger? I hadn't thought about t-shirts.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Color paper is not short for.color transfer paper.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark you may have posted this and I missed it, but just out of curiositywhy don't you hook your compter up to the printer and make things easier for you?
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Color paper is not short for.color transfer paper.

would you or anyone else know what is another name for color transfer paper? Micro mark says it is important to choose that type of paper when using the m254dw printer with the ghost white toner to make decals. What are you guys using for type of paper when setting up your print properties.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
Mark you may have posted this and I missed it, but just out of curiositywhy don't you hook your compter up to the printer and make things easier for you?

Brandon, yes I have posted it a couple of times in previous posts. My program for creating the decals is not compatible with windows 10 as far as downloading the program into windows 10 but the other computer makes jpeg files that the printer can print and has printed using the touch screen on top of the printer inputing the files with a thumbdrive. I printed a white sheet yesterday after i installed the ghost white toner and they came out perfectly. I put fixative on the sheet and started decalling the model, they look great but still a little thin and I will probably have to double them which is hard with these decals because they dont slide very well.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are v tou putting a drop of dish soap in your decals water?? Helps allow decal to move some.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Are v tou putting a drop of dish soap in your decals water?? Helps allow decal to move some.

No Dave, I haven't. I think we have Dawn. Is that a good one?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...just a drop
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
yes...just a drop

I will try it, thank you.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok , guys . I was reading through the instructions micro mark sent with the white toner just for grins to make sure I didn't miss anything, and they tell you to remove the black toner, change your property's to black only print and put in the white toner and run your decal sheet through the printer. They then tell you to remove the white toner , put the black toner back in the printer, change your property's back to color printing, then reinstall your printed sheet of white images back in the printer and run it again to put the color over the white. and wah lah you are finished. they also warn you that the register might be off a little on smaller decals ya da ya da ya da. Then it occurred to me, to just run the white sheet through twice with the white toner cartridge. i tried it and it worked perfectly. There is twice as much white toner per decal so the white images look bleed proof now so i wont have to double up on the white decals. I was going to end up with triple layer decals after I put the color decals over the white. This is going to look a lot better. Plus it will be a lot less work.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good!! Which printer are you using???
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

Dave, It's the one we are discussing in this thread . The HP Color Jet Pro M254DW, which I am suddenly starting to love. Im starting to think by using two files that are exactly the same except one is in color and the other is in black only that the layering process can be seemless . in other words as long as you line up the sheet in the printer tray the same when you print the color file over the black file (white images) you will have no problem with the register like some people seem to be having. Making the computer change the file from color to black only is creating the problem with the two lining up even if you put the sheet back in the printer the same. I already changed the files a little, in where some of the images were placed, so it wont work on this model, but the next model I do I will be careful not to move any images and will only change them from color to black only. Its worth a try if I can end up with one decal sheet and not have to manually layer 2 sheets like i will on this model.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...all this info is running together.....that printer is the one I am looking at. I used OKI for 20 years....but do not see white ink for the units I have.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

Dave, It's the one we are discussing in this thread . The HP Color Jet Pro M254DW, which I am suddenly starting to love. Im starting to think by using two files that are exactly the same except one is in color and the other is in black only that the layering process can be seemless . in other words as long as you line up the sheet in the printer tray the same when you print the color file over the black file (white images) you will have no problem with the register like some people seem to be having. Making the computer change the file from color to black only is creating the problem with the two lining up even if you put the sheet back in the printer the same. I already changed the files a little, in where some of the images were placed, so it wont work on this model, but the next model I do I will be careful not to move any images and will only change them from color to black only. Its worth a try if I can end up with one decal sheet and not have to manually layer 2 sheets like i will on this model.

You will still have register issues becuase the printer releases the paper completely unlike the Alps which holds the paper until all inks are printed. There's no way you can accurately load the paper in the exact spot using a printer which releases the papereach tine.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

You will still have register issues becuase the printer releases the paper completely unlike the Alps which holds the paper until all inks are printed. There's no way you can accurately load the paper in the exact spot using a printer which releases the papereach tine.

what ever you say , brandon. but i ran the paper through twice with the black image file (white images) and the images came out exactly the same on top of each other . it might be different when I do a color over a white but like I said i wont be able to find out till I do my next model and decal sheet. Of course when I do it, i will have to remove any images that i want to be white only because they will be completley covered by black ink in the process. If you use the paper tray that slides open you can get the side and front holders adjusted to hold the paper tight till the printer grabs hold of the paper to print it. If you just feed it in to the outside opening of the printer it will probably come out different every time.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Brandon Miller wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

what ever you say , brandon. but i ran the paper through twice with the black image file (white images) and the images came out exactly the same on top of each other . it might be different when I do a color over a white but like I said i wont be able to find out till I do my next model and decal sheet. Of course when I do it, i will have to remove any images that i want to be white only because they will be completley covered by black ink in the process. If you use the paper tray that slides open you can get the side and front holders adjusted to hold the paper tight till the printer grabs hold of the paper to print it. If you just feed it in to the outside opening of the printer it will probably come out different every time.

I haven't seen anyone who owns one of these printers get the image alignment correct. You're thinking that by keeping the paper tray slides tight will give you the correct alignment is a pipe dream. There is a reason why the printers on the market that print white and colors all at the same time don't turn loose of the paper until the job is complete.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shall see my friend. Time will tell. I just got finished putting the white sheet decals on the model and I am very happy with the way it turned out. I will put the color decals on tomorrow and call this one finished after I future it.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just happy to have a white capable printer that is within reach price wise to allow me to build cars that were impossible in the past. I've built more cars in the last 5 months since I got this thing than in the previous 2 years. I'm not a skilled digital artist but using programs I'm familiar with I have done some cars that make me happy on my shelf. That makes it worth the price of admission.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished my first build with this new decal system. Pretty happy with it. I found some things that seemed to make the difference in getting some good results . I decided to try to find as many you tube videos on using laser decals. In one of them it said for paper type to use the setting, glossy label paper over 175 grams. Well this printer doesn't have that choice but it does have glossy photo paper over 175 grams, so i used that setting . Also i changed my decal files from 600 ppi to 800 ppi. that really helped the small contengencies that are on this build. The same video showed the guy putting the fixatent on the decals. It looked like he was using the krylon preserve it like i'm using. He put three coats on the decals . the 1st coat is at 12 inches and let dry for 10 minutes the second coat the same for another 10 minutes . This stuff drys really fast. The most important coat is the last one. You have to get close and hit each decal on the sheet with a back and forth motion making it wet but not to the point of running. this is very important because the decals have to be smooth and glossy not grainy and orange peely. After 2 hours you can start decalling. There was no problem with the decals folding over or not adhering well. I will post the final pictures in the showroom when done. One other thing, there is a lightness to darkness setting. i found it should be darkest for the white decals And a little less then 50 percent for the colored decal toward the bright side. Also the white decals have to be run through the printer twice to make them more opaque.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my build is complete. I will try to take the final photos tomorrow and get them posted in the showroom.
Charles Carmichael

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently received the ghost white toner for the HP 254DW printer. I did some test printing with it and here are my initial thoughts on it. I currently use an Alps MD-1000 for printing decals so that's what I'm comparing this to.

The white is equal to or maybe a slight bit more opaque than one layer of Alps white ink.

There is NO WAY to double print white or print color over white and have everything align perfectly on a consistent basis. I tried by using the paper try and by using the manual feed option. It's not going to happen.

Overall it's an acceptable setup, with it's pros and cons.

Pros:
-The print quality is obviously better than an Alps printer.
-Toner is more cost effective than Alps ink cartridges, especially now that the Alps ink prices have skyrocketed.
-Ease of use.

Cons:
-It will use more decal paper since you have to print the white and color separate.
-Decaling a car will take longer.
-You do need to apply a clear coat over the decals before using them for best results.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Carmichael wrote:
I recently received the ghost white toner for the HP 254DW printer. I did some test printing with it and here are my initial thoughts on it. I currently use an Alps MD-1000 for printing decals so that's what I'm comparing this to.

The white is equal to or maybe a slight bit more opaque than one layer of Alps white ink.

There is NO WAY to double print white or print color over white and have everything align perfectly on a consistent basis. I tried by using the paper try and by using the manual feed option. It's not going to happen.

Overall it's an acceptable setup, with it's pros and cons.

Pros:
-The print quality is obviously better than an Alps printer.
-Toner is more cost effective than Alps ink cartridges, especially now that the Alps ink prices have skyrocketed.
-Ease of use.

Cons:
-It will use more decal paper since you have to print the white and color separate.
-Decaling a car will take longer.
-You do need to apply a clear coat over the decals before using them for best results.

Thanks, Charles for your observations. Its nice to know that the print quality is better then the more expensive alps setup. Too bad somebody cant figure out a fix for the register problem. It sure would save a lot of paper and time. Its like you have to decal each build twice if you want acceptable results. I doubt if anyone would want to purchase decals that did not register.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you guys that are using this printer, what type of clear are you spraying over the decals before application? I have had mixed results using Duplicolor Clear as it may be too "hot" for the toner.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
For you guys that are using this printer, what type of clear are you spraying over the decals before application? I have had mixed results using Duplicolor Clear as it may be too "hot" for the toner.

Dennis I used Krylon "Preserve it"gloss clear on my last set of decals and it worked beautifully after i figured out how to use it. you spray a light coat wait 10 minutes shoot another light coat wait ten minutes then the third coat you put on wet so its glossy almost to the point of running but dont let it run. it is not hot at all and did not bother the toner one bit. and the decals turned out pretty good.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to take what I said about the "preserve it" product above, back. I'ts really not easy to work with, so your results would probably be different every time. Its very hard to spray on glossy smooth, and you need that with decals. I have found an alternative and it is not too hot like laquer and enamel clear sprays can be, for these laser decals. It's future or what is now known as pledge floor finish. Just put on one coat with a wide soft brush and wait 48 hours to use the decals. Dont be too fast trying to slide the decals off after immersing them in the water. Wait till the decal uncurls a bit and dont try to uncurl the decal yourself. if you do you can end up cracking the decal. These decals aren't ink, they are powderd pieces of tiny plastic that are melted together to create the pigment . Once they are free of the backing paper they wont crack. I do recommend micro set and micro sol when applying them. Wait 24 hours to put the color decals over the white background decals.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark!!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Thanks Mark!!

Dennis, I felt bad about recommending that Preserve it product. i hope you had not bought or tried it yet.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you are considering the ghost white toner, keep an eye on Micro Mark. Last "black friday" I got a heck of a deal on my toner cartridge.
Charles Carmichael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to give someone a deal on my Ghost White toner cartridge for the HP254DW printer. I've printed maybe 4 sheets with it total.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
If any of you are considering the ghost white toner, keep an eye on Micro Mark. Last "black friday" I got a heck of a deal on my toner cartridge.

Are they discontinuing the toner, printer, and paper? Im getting good results for my own personal use but i cant see being able to make any decals to sell to others. The decals are just not fool proof enough.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.....I've gotten things settled to the point I need to invest in white toner and a printer. But the printers listed in this thread are all no longer made and I can't find any NOS. What is the currebt set up??? If I can't find something....Penngwen decals is dead......thanks
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say it ain't so.

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave look at the HP M254DW......I saw it at office depot for $270.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Dave look at the HP M254DW......I saw it at office depot for $270.

That's where I got my m254dw. The last time I used it, it made a crease in the paper. But I think it was because I chose too heavy of a paper type setting. I chose glossy card stock over 175 grams. It should have been less then 175 grams. I'm hoping. I wont know until I print my next batch of decals for my next build. I didn't notice the creasing till I had printed all 4 sheets. Luckily the crease didn't go through a decal that I didn't have duplicates of. I always make extra images on my sheets in case I mess up . The crease ran north to south which makes sense, since that's the direction the paper goes through the printer.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....but ever website I go to list the printer but notes not available.....and HP has stopped making it.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion, the printer is just not worth the hassle. I have yet to get it to print a set of decals I am happy with. I have been sticking with my Alps. I picked up the printer for less than $200. We use it a lot outside of decal printing since we homeschool both of our kids. Sometimes it will print right away, sometimes it's several minutes. I'm not IT illiterate so I know it's not a hardware, software, firmware issue. This is the biggest complaint of said printer. I'm glad I didn't drop the $$$ on the white toner. My opinion Dave, find something else.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: HP Firmware warning!! Reply with quote

As an FYI, I got an email from Ghost White Toner saying that HP released a new firmware update that creates an error when it sees the Ghost White cartridge. They suggested that you TURN OFF automatic firmware updates and if you are seeing the error to downgrade to the previous firmware level. I can forward the email to you if you want it. PM me your email address.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Firmware warning!! Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
As an FYI, I got an email from Ghost White Toner saying that HP released a new firmware update that creates an error when it sees the Ghost White cartridge. They suggested that you TURN OFF automatic firmware updates and if you are seeing the error to downgrade to the previous firmware level. I can forward the email to you if you want it. PM me your email address.

I don't have the white toner nor do I ever get an error. My main issue is the printer just prints whenever it feels.like it.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that is not your problem. I'm warning the guys who have the printer and have the Ghost White toner to try and save them some grief.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
I understand that is not your problem. I'm warning the guys who have the printer and have the Ghost White toner to try and save them some grief.

Thanks, Dennis. Since I use the printer with a flash drive I dont think i'm having any problems yet. Its not connected to a computer when I use it.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a combo of ink and printer that will work......I hope it does or I give up.....35 years of making decals done....
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I found a combo of ink and printer that will work......I hope it does or I give up.....35 years of making decals done....

Another Alps or something different?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a different route with a laser....testing it now. As soon as I am happy with results Almost all my decals will be back in stock!!
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Just a different route with a laser....testing it now. As soon as I am happy with results Almost all my decals will be back in stock!!

Care to elaborate?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: