Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clear Coat Over Powerslide Decals?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mopargreg

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Clear Coat Over Powerslide Decals? Reply with quote

Hi guys, Im wondering if anyone has used Powerslide decals & sprayed clear over the top? If so what clear did you use? Im working on a #43 Petty & #40 Hamilton Superbird. Just did a test with a decal on some scrap & Tamiya clear just annihilated the decal. Ive used Tamiya clear with Alps printed decals for years & never had a problem. Any help would be great.
Thanks Greg
bigryan18

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TS-13 over all with no issues..
mopargreg

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigryan18 wrote:
I use TS-13 over all with no issues..

Thanks for the reply. So you spray Tamiya clear over the decals? What is your process? A few light dust coats & a few heavy?? How long did you wait in between?

Its my first time using Powerslide decals & the first time Ive had issues with Tamiya clear. Im glad I tested on scrap first.
BW

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, as you found out, Tamiya TS-13 can eat decals alive! It is a very hot lacquer clear. I've found that you must lay down several LIGHT DUSTING coats. Let those dusting coats dry completely, then add a few MEDIUM LIGHT coats. Then after those have dried, finish with a couple medium coats. Try not to rush it and avoid any ultra heavy coats as you will likely lose your decals.

TS-13 can give a beautiful clear coat and protect your decals but you must build up the coats lightly and slowly with this product. After the last coat of clear has COMPLETELY dried, you can polish to a high gloss. For polishing, I use Novus No.1 and 2 polishing compounds. The Tamiya polishing compounds work very well, however, they are hard to find and can make a big dent in your bank account.

Best of luck and happy modeling!
-Bobby
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW wrote:
Greg, as you found out, Tamiya TS-13 can eat decals alive! It is a very hot lacquer clear. I've found that you must lay down several LIGHT DUSTING coats. Let those dusting coats dry completely, then add a few MEDIUM LIGHT coats. Then after those have dried, finish with a couple medium coats. Try not to rush it and avoid any ultra heavy coats as you will likely lose your decals.

TS-13 can give a beautiful clear coat and protect your decals but you must build up the coats lightly and slowly with this product. After the last coat of clear has COMPLETELY dried, you can polish to a high gloss. For polishing, I use Novus No.1 and 2 polishing compounds. The Tamiya polishing compounds work very well, however, they are hard to find and can make a big dent in your bank account.

Best of luck and happy modeling!
-Bobby
Only thing I would add to this (no matter what clear coat you use) Is give your decals a day or so to adjust to their new home. You need for every bit of moisture to evaporate from under that decal and for the decal to "harden" up against the body. I suggest longer for larger decals.
mopargreg

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your replies guys. Ive got a few more small power slide decals stuck down on some scrap so Im going to try a few different clears. The decals have been stuck down for 3 days. Ill do a few light coats 30 mins or so apart & see what happens. As mentioned Ive used Alps printed & some kit decals with Tamiya clear & never had a problem.

I contacted Mike at Mikes Decals & he recommended to not use any clear at all on Powerslide Decals. He has heard of some guys using 2K clear with great results but no guarantees. Thanks again for your help.
Viperguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used Future. Never had a problem yet.
bighoo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use Tamiya clear over decals - I find it is too hot for decals. I use Testors/model master gloss clear.

I also never clear over foil decals either.
Goodwrench3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI --

What's the part # of the "Testors/model master gloss clear." ?

It sounds like the Tamiya clear is "touchy" over the Powerslide decals. I'd prefer to go with something a bit more "forgiving".

Thanks
bpippin43

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To: Viperguy Where do you find Future? I used it years ago, but can't find it anywhere now.
jbherri2

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpippin43 wrote:
To: Viperguy Where do you find Future? I used it years ago, but can't find it anywhere now.

I think it's now called Pledge Revive It Floor Shine - same stuff, if I understand correctly.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Future, Pledge floor care or whatever name they come up with these days is most friendly to all decals.
Some spray it, some just brush it on. I brushed it on this car just hours after decals were applied

[url[/url]
AndyS

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current name is "Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss".

Here's a link on Amazon for a 2-bottle pack, but I found it locally at Walmart for much cheaper, only about $7 for the 27 oz bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/Pledge-FloorCare-Multi-Surface-Finish/dp/B015RYJFRM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=48URD7TXWT3V&dchild=1&keywords=pledge+revive+it+floor+gloss&qid=1621693361&sprefix=pledge+revivie+it+flo%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-2

Note: you do NOT want "Pledge Clean It" -That's a white liquid that comes in a similar looking 27oz bottle, but it's a floor cleaner, not an acrylic clear coat like you're looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: