Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with a Bobby Allison car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Need help with a Bobby Allison car Reply with quote

Bobby Allison ran a 65 Chevelle short track car in the late 60 early 70s I have several pics of the car but I need to know what it says on the trunk lid, it is something about engines, I think and it says Pleasant Grove Ala. on a separate line under the line I can not read. The line in question looks like it says
"Engines by......Our Home" but that doesn't make sense and I can not tell if that is exactly what it says.. any help would be great Thanks in advance...
Hondo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this answers your question.
In those years, a fellow named Bobby Brown, built a lot of engines for BA.
He was located in Aberdeen, MS.
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly Alton Jones from Pleasant Grove Alabama. He was a local Hot SHoe in the 60s and 70s. Built some bad fast power plants. Tom Mooty may can shed some light.
BW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hemiman. Is this the car you are referring to?
[img][/img]

If so, this is a '64 Chevelle built by Eddie Allison at the Bobby Allison Racing shop in Hueytown , Alabama for Tommy Howe who raced it up north. It was driven by Bobby Allison when he traveled up north for special appearances. It is a well known race car because the top was a "school bus yellow" color and not the traditional metallic gold. I asked Eddie why it was yellow and not gold and he told me the car was already yellow when they got the car and the paint was in good condition so they just left it yellow and painted the rest red so they could put the Coca-Cola markings on it for when Bobby drove it.

The lettering on the back of the trunk lid says:
"ENGINES by ...OUR HOWE." referring to Tommy Howe who built engines for many of the racers in the Birmingham, Alabama area. Pleasant Grove is a western suburb of Birmingham. Not too far from the Fairgrounds where B.I.R. (Birmingham International Raceway) was located.

Not 100% sure but I don't think it is the same Tommy Howe that bought the car from Bobby Alison Racing, hence the term "OUR HOWE."

Here are a few more images of the car. This car was raced long and hard and the markings changed from time to time due the hard short track racing it often competed in.

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

I hope this is the same car you are referring to. Hope all this helps!
Bobby
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for all the help you have answered all of my questions. I will be building this car using a resin body I did type 65 when I meant to put 64 so everyone here was good enough to see through my mistake on that part.. with everyone's help I will have another car to add to my BA collection....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: