Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model Master Paints - Hard to find.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Model Master Paints - Hard to find..... Reply with quote

I've used the Model Master bottle paints 1/2 ounce for years and years. I heard about them being bought out and it seems that the Model Master paints are getting harder and harder to find. You can find a few colors but rarely a good selection. My question is what is a good, readily available substitute? I prefer enamels as that is what I have always used. Educate me!!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to move to lacquers or acrylic paints. I don't see a new maker of enamels. Humbrol are great but I have no idea where to get them any longer....sure a online seller does.

EDIT: MegaHobby seems to have almost all colors in stock. Decent price too.
martinfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Model Master Paints - Hard to find..... Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
I've used the Model Master bottle paints 1/2 ounce for years and years. I heard about them being bought out and it seems that the Model Master paints are getting harder and harder to find. You can find a few colors but rarely a good selection. My question is what is a good, readily available substitute? I prefer enamels as that is what I have always used. Educate me!!

No one has bought Testors/Model Master, they are still owned by RPM Intl which has owned them since 1986.

Most of paints in the Model Masters line are being discontinued, now this is where things get murky as no one really seems to know, including Testors employees.

Basically, buy it now why you can.
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, Tamiya paints and Acryl which I believe is Model Masters are very good also. Maybe give them a try?

Also, MCW Finishes are working on enamels but they aren't available yet. They also aren't possibly going to be real cheap...for what that's worth Very Happy
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a lot of Scalefinishes enamel paints. They are gloss and do not require a clear coat. They are actual automotive acrylic enamel paints. The color selection is vast and they are actual paint code matched to real cars.

The downside is they are a little pricey and you have to wait a week or two for them to arrive. I have had a few that took a long time to gas out and dry properly. You cannot clear coat until fully dry or there could be weird effects.

I have sprayed them directly over plastic with no ill effects. I normally spray them over Tamiya primer. The paints cover very well, better than the Testor's and they are actual 1:1 car colors.

They also come ready to airbrush, already mixed and they hold up very well on the shelf for long periods.

Scalefinishes also offers most of the colors in a lacquer also. The lacquer must be clear cloated, it is not a gloss paint. Also a 1:1 automotive paint.
joe b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Master Paints - Hard to find..... Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
Dennis O wrote:

No one has bought Testors/Model Master, they are still owned by RPM Intl which has owned them since 1986.

Most of paints in the Model Masters line are being discontinued, now this is where things get murky as no one really seems to know, including Testors employees.

Basically, buy it now why you can.

i talked to rustoleum via messenger on FB. they said the model master line is discontinued so they can focus on their testors brand. i don't know if that includes their glosscote and metalizers in spray can. i hope not, i use them a lot.
on a side note i seen on fb that revell germany is bringing back their enamel line here in the USA and gunze aquious is also coming back to the states. sprue brothers have a just received initial shipment.

joe
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked them specifically about metalizer paints. Discontinued. Get them while you can. Tb
heatmizer54

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: paint Reply with quote

Testors paints are in Rustoleum labeled cans now
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed them a few weeks ago, and they're killing off everything outside of the 1/4 oz bottle and 3oz spray enamel Testors line. I've been using the MM acrylic for over 20 years now, and loved the car lacquer sprays. I understand condensing the lines to streamline products, but this is ridiculous. Rustoleum only cares about painting lawn furniture.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really will miss the MM Metalizers, I use them regularly. The whole color selections in the original Model Master's line were very useful to all types of modelers.

What I find as unacceptable about this whole process, is that Testor's parent companies over several decades, bought out all the other model paint makers. Pactra, Polly-S are one's that immediately come to mind. Now they want to drop them all??? They've already eliminated some of the other paint makers and they're just telling us to do without??

We'll get by because someone will step up, LHS will start carrying brands that were previously low volume sellers.
kurth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use an airbrush, there are a few alternative products which work even better than metalizers. If you need a spray can, then I am afraid I do not know of a suitable alternative.

Testors bottles and cans do say Rustoleum now. Remember, Rustoleum is also a brand owned for a very long time by RPM. I looked all over the RPM website, and read several press releases to get an idea of what has happened over time with the brands. I also emailed investor relations. At some point, RPM reorganized and streamlined the various product groups. The Consumer products group has been organized under the Rustoleum brand. So no one bought Testors, but they were impacted by a corporate reorganization. It is too bad All the other american paint brands were gobbled up, and discontinued.

That being said, companies are trying to step up to fill the void for enamels. First, is True North Paint https://www.truenorthpaints.com/ They appear to focus on military colors, but they are expanding the color selection. I have been watching this company for a while, but I have yet to try this paint.

MCW has posted a few times on facebook that they are testing a line of enamel paint which can be brushed, or airbrushed.

I hope this helps to clear up some of the questions in this thread.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Kurth. Thank you!
joe b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
I asked them specifically about metalizer paints. Discontinued. Get them while you can. Tb

thanks tom. you are talking about the rattle cans?

joe
joe b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:
I emailed them a few weeks ago, and they're killing off everything outside of the 1/4 oz bottle and 3oz spray enamel Testors line. I've been using the MM acrylic for over 20 years now, and loved the car lacquer sprays. I understand condensing the lines to streamline products, but this is ridiculous. Rustoleum only cares about painting lawn furniture.

i agree joe. i told them they would be better off discontinuing the testors brand and keeping the model master brand since they have the same basic colors and they would get the added sales of the military and auto modelers.
i told them they're excuse of drop off in sales as a reason is poor and that their problem is lack of marketing not they're loss in sales. if they would put the model master brand right next to their rustoleum brand on the shelves it would be one way of boosting sales.
joe b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurth wrote:
If you use an airbrush, there are a few alternative products which work even better than metalizers. If you need a spray can, then I am afraid I do not know of a suitable alternative.

Testors bottles and cans do say Rustoleum now. Remember, Rustoleum is also a brand owned for a very long time by RPM. I looked all over the RPM website, and read several press releases to get an idea of what has happened over time with the brands. I also emailed investor relations. At some point, RPM reorganized and streamlined the various product groups. The Consumer products group has been organized under the Rustoleum brand. So no one bought Testors, but they were impacted by a corporate reorganization. It is too bad All the other american paint brands were gobbled up, and discontinued.

That being said, companies are trying to step up to fill the void for enamels. First, is True North Paint https://www.truenorthpaints.com/ They appear to focus on military colors, but they are expanding the color selection. I have been watching this company for a while, but I have yet to try this paint.

MCW has posted a few times on facebook that they are testing a line of enamel paint which can be brushed, or airbrushed.

I hope this helps to clear up some of the questions in this thread.

the problem is kurth that we/i don't use the airbrush for small things like intake manifolds and such. i like using the rattle can for that stuff- quick and no clean up. plus i use their glosscote and dullcote in the can exclusively.
joe b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: paint Reply with quote

heatmizer54 wrote:
Testors paints are in Rustoleum labeled cans now

you mean they have the rustoleum logo on the back side of the can? don't see why they would remove the testors logo if they want to focus on the "flag ship" brand like they told me.

i know revel germany are releasing a paint line back in the USA. hopefully it will replace the ones lost, military and lacquers. also gunze aquious is back in the USA. sprue brothers have just got in a preliminary stock with more on the way.

does anyone know if their testors quasi lacquer glosscote/dullcote spray cans survived the purge? i think the glosscote # was/is 1210 or 2010.

joe
kurth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:

the problem is kurth that we/i don't use the airbrush for small things like intake manifolds and such. i like using the rattle can for that stuff- quick and no clean up. plus i use their glosscote and dullcote in the can exclusively.

I understand. If you decide to try airbrushing small parts, AK interactive Xtreme Metal, and Mr Hobby Mr Metal color, and Alclad are what I like to use.

It looks like Glosscote and Dullcote in the spray can have survived the purge. They still plan to make Testors branded paint.

The Testors Logo is still on the front of the can, on the back of the can where it used to say RPM, it instead has the Rustoleum logo.
joe b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurth wrote:
joe b wrote:

I understand. If you decide to try airbrushing small parts, AK interactive Xtreme Metal, and Mr Hobby Mr Metal color, and Alclad are what I like to use.

It looks like Glosscote and Dullcote in the spray can have survived the purge. They still plan to make Testors branded paint.

The Testors Logo is still on the front of the can, on the back of the can where it used to say RPM, it instead has the Rustoleum logo.

well i am good to go at least for the clear coats as long as it is their original lacquer ones. i don't use the enamel clear as it yellows and takes too long to dry. don't know what i will do for the metalics, i do not want to use the airbrush to do small parts. there is always an alternator or something you forget.
kurth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it, a quick spritz with a spray can is a lot easier than setting up the airbrush and cleaning it afterwards.

scalehobbyist.com still has aluminum plate buffing metalizer spray can in stock, so I guess the best thing to do now is to scour online dealers and start hoarding. It stinks to lose a useful product.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very sad to see one of the only decent product they made going away, talking about the Metalizer paints, I love them , they are fantastic paints , I only use the ones for A/B, and probably is one my most use paints, its going to be big hole left behind for me. And I wont be buying them in rattle cans.

Ive already starting to migrate over to Alclad versions of the metalizers, its gonna a cost a bit more, but they have I think all the colors covered and then some.

Time do another run the LHS and see what Metalizers they have left in stock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: