Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any idea if current Cup models coming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawgvet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Any idea if current Cup models coming? Reply with quote

So I was just wondering if anyone had heard if any company or cottage industry company was doing a model of the current Cup cars? I’d really like to do a current Chevy Camaro, especially a Chase Elliott one! Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
Jed
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikes Decals has a resin camaro that looks nice
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all changes in 2022 so if you start today you may have kits before then. The only hope is Salvinos but I think their plate is full.
thenderson0728

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
It all changes in 2022 so if you start today you may have kits before then. The only hope is Salvinos but I think their plate is full.

I have heard from them they are trying to get the molds for the fusion and SS from China so they can do additional Gen 6 and potential Gen 7 cars eventually. I heard that straight from them, but that was several months ago and never heard anything else so no news on where that stands.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew Salvinos has talked about acquiring the Revell molds for the Fusion and SS currently in China.
That is a most difficult chore. Tooling cut in China is owned in partnership by the Chinese government. It is a HUGE and costly task to get tooling made in China out of China. The Chinese government sees tooling made in China being sent out of China as competition. It's a long and complicated story on how and why China operates the way it does........but if you really want to know more there is a book 'China:The 100 year marathon' that goes into detail.

A company that makes model train products tried to move tooling that was made in China to Korea and when China found out the tooling was 'accidentally' damaged beyond use. Another had to bribe people to truck it out in the middle of the night at a cost close to making new. It ain't pretty.....
Reyst

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke with Jim a couple of weeks ago, he Said they are Still working on getting those molds from Revell and they really want to do the Gen 6 Camaro.
drppr76

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd grab a few Gen 6 Camaros for sure👍👍
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Mustang would be great too.
Jim N

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest I have seen is that NASCAR is still looking to introduce the Generation 7 car in 2021. This is a complete redesign from the wheels up. They may wind up staggering some elements like getting the car out first and then work on the engines, but I do not believe a model company will spend the resources for cars that have a shelf life of about 5 more months. If we get models of the new cars, it will be after the Generation 7 cars are on the track.

If you really want a Generation 6 car, resin might be an option for the Ford or Toyota. The 2020 Camaro will likely have to be a die cast.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:
The latest I have seen is that NASCAR is still looking to introduce the Generation 7 car in 2021. This is a complete redesign from the wheels up. They may wind up staggering some elements like getting the car out first and then work on the engines, but I do not believe a model company will spend the resources for cars that have a shelf life of about 5 more months. If we get models of the new cars, it will be after the Generation 7 cars are on the track.

If you really want a Generation 6 car, resin might be an option for the Ford or Toyota. The 2020 Camaro will likely have to be a die cast.

Nascar has already stated the Gen 7 will not be released/ready for 2021. That announcement was made back in March.
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there enough interest in current NASCAR for the kit producers to go through the trouble? Seems like Salvinos has tapped into the market where their is a demand. I'm not sure the new stuff would sell. At least not in numbers that justified the expense to produce them.
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't hardly find Fusions, and good luck getting Mustang resin body
Reyst

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
Is there enough interest in current NASCAR for the kit producers to go through the trouble? Seems like Salvinos has tapped into the market where their is a demand. I'm not sure the new stuff would sell. At least not in numbers that justified the expense to produce them.

I don’t know about that Mack, the current prices for the Elliott kit on EBay indicate there is still an interest in modern NASCAR. We’ve been wrong before and only time will tell I guess. I think in the numbers Salvino’s produces a modern release would sell better than some of their current releases, but that’s my opinion
Mack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reyst wrote:
Mack wrote:

I don’t know about that Mack, the current prices for the Elliott kit on EBay indicate there is still an interest in modern NASCAR. We’ve been wrong before and only time will tell I guess. I think in the numbers Salvino’s produces a modern release would sell better than some of their current releases, but that’s my opinion

Excellent point. I hope you're right. I'd love to see the hobby flourish.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to find out if they own the Dodge Intrepid and Ram molds; those things go for crazy money on eBay too. A few runs of them would be like printing money.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:
They need to find out if they own the Dodge Intrepid and Ram molds; those things go for crazy money on eBay too. A few runs of them would be like printing money.

I think those are in China......
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Joe Oteri wrote:

I think those are in China......

I’m curious exactly what they do have. The last issue of the Chevy trucks was in 1998 I believe, so if those are in China I think it’s safe to say anything from that point on is over there... so aside from the 80s cars, they might have Luminas and round side Montes?? Their opportunity to profit off of reissues may be coming to a close. I guess there are still several gaps they can fill tooling new bodies.
joe b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:

i would like to see them do the charger mold. i never was a big fan of the intrepid body that preceded it.
martinfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reyst wrote:
Mack wrote:

I am not disagreeing, there is still a lot of interest in new NASCAR kits, but something to keep in mind, the reason why the Chase kits are very hard to find is because Revell only did a 5000k piece run of that kit, compared to the 10k run they did on Harvicks kit, I don't know the production run on Danica's kit, but I am going to guess it was a 5k piece run too.
waylandcool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
Jim N wrote:

Nascar has already stated the Gen 7 will not be released/ready for 2021. That announcement was made back in March.

I saw the same thing. All the COVID related chaos meant the testing fell behind schedule and NASCAR wasn't going to rush it.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Rogers from Salvinos said in his weekly video chat the acquiring of the TRUCK tooling are between slim and none.
Neutral
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knda' makes one wonder if R/M wish they never sent any molds to China...

While a bit off topic, does anyone know how many molds R2/AMt/MPC, etal were shipped to China?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China............
The vast majority of R2/AMT tooling is in China. But vintage tooling does not come under the 'part' ownership laws. BUT I'd hate to try and get them back and sent somewhere else.

Revell tooling in China is a whole different issue. It was cut there and thus is under the part ownership of China. Getting it out of China is near impossible. And who knows weather the 'NEW' Revell owes money for the old Revell or what the relationship is like.

You can read 'China the 100 year marathon' for more info on how China works.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Redmond wrote:
Jim Rogers from Salvinos said in his weekly video chat the acquiring of the TRUCK tooling are between slim and none.
Neutral

Watching the video, I think he misunderstood your question Pat. It seemed like he thought you were asking about them producing new trucks, not re-releasing the old ones. Confused

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
Jim N

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
Jim N wrote:

Brandon, with all due respect, you missed the point of my post.

Whether the Gen 7 cars are released in 2021 or 2022, the window for the Gen 6 cars is closing quickly. I do not believe a modelling company is going to do the tooling for a car that has a short shelf life remaining, particularly when the Gen 7 cars are a redesign from the wheels up. The Gen 6 tooling will be obsolete upon introduction to the market.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought on 2019-2020 Mustang, Canaro and Toyota kits.......
We did not get a 1987 Thunderbird kit until after the 1989 Bird was out. It did well still.
We didn't get the 1981-82 Bird until 1990 I think??? It sells better than other on ebay today.
So I am not saying do the current cars.....but folks still want to build them and will for a while.....and if there is decal support...more so.
Just a thought!!!!
I myself will buy a bunch of Mustangs, a few Camaros and Toyotas....
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Here's a thought on 2019-2020 Mustang, Canaro and Toyota kits.......
We did not get a 1987 Thunderbird kit until after the 1989 Bird was out. It did well still.
We didn't get the 1981-82 Bird until 1990 I think??? It sells better than other on ebay today.
So I am not saying do the current cars.....but folks still want to build them and will for a while.....and if there is decal support...more so.
Just a thought!!!!
I myself will buy a bunch of Mustangs, a few Camaros and Toyotas....

The 81-82 Thunderbird kits actually didn't get released until 1997. The 87-88 Thunderbird kits were released in 1996. Man, does time fly???
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mack......without going out to the barn where all that info is, it was pouring rain, I relied on my old brain....how'd I do!?!?!?!?! Laughing
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Thanks Mack......without going out to the barn where all that info is, it was pouring rain, I relied on my old brain....how'd I do!?!?!?!?! Laughing

I try not to rely on my brain too much. Slept too much. So, you did fine. You were at least in the right decade.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to hi - jack the thread -- But was the Monogram 1982 Thunderbird ever released as a single - car kit ??? I have one of the Double Kits, and a crazy thought of converting an 1982 T-Bird into a Buddy Arrington CHRYSLER CORDOBA. It would require a bit of plastic work and two kits to make it work correctly, so I don't want to buy another double kit unless necessary. The two cars shared similar profiles and hoods; the MOPAR had a wider front grille & hood. BTW - Was the 1982 T - Bird sized to the 1983 Monogram " FORD " 105" wb chassis ???
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 81-82 Bird was offered in a single kit as a Bud Moore DE Sr kit. But that may run you as much as the double kit. Check with Mike's decals as he breaks up kits for donors at times. It uses the same chassis as the 83 Bird.
TonyK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That resin Camaro body at Mike's Decals has been sold out for months. Don't know why he hasn't made more.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyK wrote:
That resin Camaro body at Mike's Decals has been sold out for months. Don't know why he hasn't made more.

His resin caster is crazy busy.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an inkling that there is some behind the scene action in regards to the gen 6 stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: