Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Err brushing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Err brushing Reply with quote

Wondering what advice the bold and beautiful car painters on here have for a total rookie regarding air brushing?

Scored a free dual action, siphon-feed airbrush - .35 tip - and plan on running it off my 2hp compressor that's driven fenceboard and roofing nails. Mostly looking to paint model car bodies in fairly simple paint schemes - one or two tone schemes. Petty's STP cars would be the most challenging for me, given the need to mask attentively.

Not planning to use a lot of acrylic in the short term, so mostly enamel and lacquer paints and clear coats.

Curious about shooting Future through this.

Yes, I have a moisture filter. And a big-ass bottle of Mr. Tool Cleaner.
Sundance

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the darkside...er airbrush side. Reply with quote

A lot of stuff goes into working with an airbrush and nearly everyone has an opinion. I've been spraying with an airbrush since the 80s so I'll add a few basics to help you start out.

1 Find a scrap body to use as a test bed. Shoot some of the color you are spraying on it first. decide if the mix, coverage is ok. When you body gets covered send it to the Super Clean and reuse it again and again.

2 Air pressure. I usually start at about 20 psi, but often have to turn it up to 25 psi. It will vary depending on the paint you are using.

3 Paint mixture. First advice is to use the same thinner as the brand of paint. ie Testors with testors, Tamiya with Tamiya etc. Often these thinners will have a mixing ratio on the label somewhere. If you want to be precise, you can get marked medicine cups almost anywhere and they are great for exact measurements. As a general rule of thumb, the paint and thinner consistency should be the same as 2 percent milk. What do I mean? If you dip a toothpick into the mixture and watch it, the color should be about as transparent as the milk would be and drip off the toothpick at about the same rate. That will generally get you very close. You can always add a few more drops of paint or thinner as needed.

4 Number of coats. As many as you need. My suggestion is 3-4. I start with a very thin coat. I then make the them progressively heavier. Some paints will let you spray another coat on before it dries, others not. I generally let each coat dry about 24 or more. You can also use a food dehumidifier to help the paint cure and suck down on the surface better. Generally I have the airbrush tip 4 to 6 inches from the model surface.

Experiment a lot. That is how you will learn. Personally, I don't think, brand ,style, tip of the airbrush is as important as getting a consistent technique. I Hope these help you out.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like sound advice and I will give these a full workout. Thanks.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always easier to ADD another coat of paint - than it is to remove a coat of paint. ..up
bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, George. Learned that first hand - repeatedly - from using rattle cans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: