Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dry transfer CHROME??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Dry transfer CHROME?? Reply with quote

This is one of those things that jumps in my head late at night and refuses to leave. Often causing headaches but, I digress.

What if... we could combine BareMetalFoil, with the properties of dry transfer? This is an offshoot of my home tampo idea. If we could get a chrome, that rubs on like dry transfer, how easy would chrome script be? I know that refers to street cars but the possibilities for NASCAR application would be just as endless. I wonder who we might contact that could make that happen?

P.S. I apologize to those of you who clicked, thinking there was a new product already on the horizon.
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I most certainly would give it a try. And if it worked I would use it over the BMF.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are dry transfer methods (e.g. INT) of creating metallics but not foil that I know of.
From my experience creating INTs back in the day, small detail is not sharp.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot stamp foil decal is easier and cheaper.....fyi
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Hot stamp foil decal is easier and cheaper.....fyi
Well, we don't know about cheaper since what I'm proposing does not yet exist. What is entailed in Hot Stamp Foil?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Hot stamp foil is what high end printers use when they need a true chrome mirror finish. Think of the old Davey Allison decals that were chrome. The process uses a mirror finish ribbon and a hot iron-like device that transfers the mirror finish from ribbon to decal. ALPS MD 5000 uses a form of this to create mirror finish print. I also have a heat transfer device used in the trophy industry.

2. I was maybe one of the largest dry transfer manufactures in the 1980- 1990's. DNL Hobbies sold thousands of tire transfers during the NASCAR boom. Dry transfers have to start with a sheet of film the same color as the final product. That's why tire transfers are so easy....one color only and white which was the most widely used transfer color before we had any desktop printers that printed white. So we would need to develop a sheet of chrome dry transfer sheet. That does not exist yet. Once we do it would be great for emblems and logos but as for window trim or side body trim it would be very difficult to design.

It boils down to tech that is common vs tech you would have to develpo.....thus the cost difference. Making a chrome sheet that would work on dry transfer process IMHO would be costly if possible. Thx

PS...all the dry transfer print shops we used are no longer in business.......good color printers have put them all out of work.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I get that, cool info too. What I'm thinking along the lines of are those little plastic sheets that used to come with correc-type on them for correcting typos. If only we could get that, but with a chrome. I kinda knew this one was a bit... out there but, you never know.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the nature of the 'chrome' material on the carrier is a question: would it need to be a foil material, rather than a metallic medium (particles in a suspension) like chrome paint?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: