Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DTR sprint car models

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irish2019

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: DTR sprint car models Reply with quote

Can anyone give me some feedback on the DTR sprint car models. I've never put one together and was just curious how they compare to Monogram. I've done plenty of those and many more to build but was just wondering how the others fair.
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t built any but if you look at the side box pictures, they seem to be Monogram clones. I looked at them on ebay and hoped that they were different/improved, but it doesn’t look like they are. And I haven’t seen a decal sheet either.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AMT sprint car kits are the same as DTR and are all variations of the AMT Gran King kit. Very difficult to build well....few locators....just a lot of attach here type build. With a lot of work they can be OK but never up to RM sprint kits.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another down side to the AMT/Ertl/DTR 2006 release of the Grant King sprint... at the request of fans/modelers of the kit AMT dropped in narrow front tires but did not modify the front wheels to fit.
Still bought 11 if the DTR versions

Found out real quick back when that kit came out in the 70's, that to get the hood and nose piece to fit right, took a long of work with a Dremel and files to get them to fit right, Had to enlarge the side panel slots for the exhaust to fit, Trimmed one of the frame cross members at the fire wall for the In & Out to fit through the hole...
It's why I started trimming the bottom of the nose piece off on future builds back then

And even a bigger issue is the jig to use to start putting the fame together, the slots are too wide. the cross members won't reach like they hsould, and tron front axle will not line up with the pins
Here are those old builds:

The front tire issue of the DTR kits kept me from really getting started on those...
When I can come up with $$$ will get some decent tires and wheels fro Bid Donkey Resins......
irish2019

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your feedback. I just have an opportunity to get Donny schatz STP and Sammy Swindells Big Tree Stand sprint cars and before I spend the money just wanted to know if it was going to be worth the time.
TonyK

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sprint cars you want to get are Monogram models. I've built them and they're the old original kits with decals that aren't that good. I think I got some aftermarket ones for the Big Tree Stand one or I may have used the kit supplied ones. Sorry I don't remember.

Have another Donny Schatz to build. The picture on the box is a much newer version of the car than the one in the box but you can always get some aftermarket pieces or do some updating yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: