Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for building Bill Elliott 1985 Coors Thunderbird?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawgvet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Tips for building Bill Elliott 1985 Coors Thunderbird? Reply with quote

So I just bought a 1985 Coors Monogram T-Bird off the auction site and am excited to try building a kit that got me started in modeling so many years ago. I am looking to build a replica of either the Southern 500 car or the superspeedway car (two laps down at Dega!?!). Any tips on building the Monogram 'Birds? It's been a long while and I want to get this one as good as I can.

I found an old thread on using the Monogram Pro Stock body for the superspeedway cars. Has anyone actually completed a car doing this? Seems kinda cool but would require finding another rare kit I suppose.

Any tips on these classic Monogram kits appreciated.

Thanks,
Jed
Rob de Bie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've seen my conversion-in-progress in the other thread (the white body). I gathered a lot of information and put it on this page:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/tbird.htm

That page does not cover the white car, it just documents my first attempt, a red plastic model.

The basic problem with the model is that is was designed before the real car existed - it's just a best guess by the Monogram people. And they guessed wrong if you ask me Sad

To make a real speedway version, you need to modify the heck out of it. I think my white body has 40 modifications so far, and it's not done yet. I'm still discovering things, like recently that it had a cowl vent panel (at least at Daytona). On the kit the hood just butts with the windshield. One more thing to modify!

I think it's a far easier choice to build a short track car. But I never looked into that, so I can't help much.

Rob
dawgvet

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, thanks for the reply. I finally got around to checking out your site and the build WIP is excellent!
I may have future questions.
Thank You!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: