Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

petty color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sebss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: petty color Reply with quote

i ask this question maybe answered 10 000 times but
am looking to found the most right petty blue
((dont care de brand of the peint) krylon,rust-oleum. etc
Thanks

and if some one got some reference picture of this

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your local auto paint shop and have them mix you "Basin Street Blue"
john843

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Tamiya brand TS-23 "Light Blue" or Tamiya TS-10 "French Blue". Several years ago when we went to race at Caraway in Asheboro, I took a Jo-Han Superbird body sprayed with the TS-10 by the Petty Museum and compared it to the Superbird on display (with SLOTTED wheels at the time!). To my eyes it looked close enough that you could have touched up small places on the 1:1 car with it.
A lot of people here prefer the TS-23 but I'm pretty confident in saying that once either one of these is on the model, it will look "right"

John
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on Tamiya TS-23.

Petty blue evolved over the years, and for the time period of that car, it's a close match.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
I agree on Tamiya TS-23.

Petty blue evolved over the years, and for the time period of that car, it's a close match.
This is the part where we argue. Petty blue... did not change over the years. What did evolve, was cameras, film stock and lighting sources. I can show you half a dozen photos of the same car, all appearing to be a different shade. If that isn't enough for you, ask the King himself.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also believe Petty blue did not change, I do however think that when appearing next to the day-glo STP red it can trick your eyes to seeing a different shade.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeastre wrote:
I also believe Petty blue did not change, I do however think that when appearing next to the day-glo STP red it can trick your eyes to seeing a different shade.
That is true also.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the hauler there are no real references for it because it didn't really exist. Lee had kittens over them pairing the Dodge kit car with the Ford race hauler. I paired my hauler with the PL Torino kit.

The kit car however did exist and race. I might have a couple photos. Let me look.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple.

Note the differences in lighting and the tone of the blue. All three of these cars are Petty blue.
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my '89 Petty Pontiac, I used Rustoleum satin oasis blue. They didn't have it as a gloss color but using Krylon acrylic clear fixed that. I actually took one of my 1/64 scale petty cars to the store in order to match the color.
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to be aware of when using the Tamiya TS-23, it looks exactly like Petty blue when shot over the Tamiya gray primer, when shot over the white primer it looks much less bright.

I totally agree with Adam on the paint not changing over the years. I used to be an avid 35mm photographer and different film would react to certain colors differently. Kodak Kodachrome would brighten up reds, oranges and yellows. Blue would be close to true. Kodak Ecktachrome would wash out blues and change the blue based on lighting. German Agfachrome was about the same as Ecktachrome. There were also the films from Fujifilm and others, all reacted to light differently. You can still today take the same picture of the same object with several different digital cameras and get multiple results. It all has to do with aperture, lens coatings and light. Don't go by pictures when matching a color, you can match the picture but not likely to match the real color.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then of course there's the indoor/outdoor aspect. Depending on the type and brand of paint, what looks perfect indoors will look too light outside and what looks perfect outside is going to appear too dark indoors. Don't let your eyes play with you.
I guess the best advice I can give you is, when it comes to Petty Blue, any medium blue, leaning towards light that is vivid, like a neon blue is acceptable. If you're a stickler, follow Bill's advice and use the Tamiya over grey primer, or get some Basin street blue and spray over white.

Remember, most anything that has water in the name or any allusion to it such as Oasis or morning waterfall, will likely be in the turquoise spectrum. These usually contain a fair amount of green in the mix and can turn on you if the wrong clear coat is used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: