Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yellow 6 Model A Modified

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigjoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Yellow 6 Model A Modified Reply with quote

This is the same car (model is new) of the black #6 I posted earlier.
The car was sold, repainted yellow with some new sponsors. But the
same driver (Lee Roy Yarbrough) and the same number (6).
One of Lee Roy's last rides before leaving Florida and
heading to NASCAR country.
BIGDONKEY resin Model A body, wheels and tires. Evergreen plastic
for roll and side bars and headers. AMT 409 engine...

Don't know why but I couldn't get logged in as hawk22.
I re-registered as bigjoe, even though my name is Bill and am
not that big (6'1", 185 lbs)...

Last edited by bigjoe on Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!!!
bigjoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Michael’s and hobby lobby closed, it’s hard to find paint, I like to use Testors . But auto zone is open and they had one can of yellow. Worked great very shinny. I clear coated the decals before I applied. Don’t see any need to clear coat the entire body now.
In these trying times we just have to make do.
Maybe time to dust of the airbrush and go that route again. If I can remember where I put all that hardware!!?
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT looking build!!!

Very nicely done!!

..applause ..applause ..applause

What frame did you use?
bigjoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
GREAT looking build!!!

What frame did you use?

It was a frame out of the parts box.
Ford frame (1934 to 1940). All look
About the same. These frames work well
but have to be considerably altered to make
it work on one of These style modified. When done really
Looks like a custom built frame. Frames from a 57
Chevy also works well. The last model I posted is
All custom made out of evergreen plastic. Very few
(Really none) frame only pictures available, so I do what’s
Underneath the sheet metal mainly base on memory. My
Neighbor but these cars in his back yard & he didn’t
Mind me hanging around. I remember him using the 40
Ford frame but never the much weaker Model A type frames.
Just the body. Early model coupes bodies (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) were the
hot ticket !!!
Front & Rear end are the single “buggy” spring type
Which is typical of the day.
These were fast and not particularly safe cars to drive. Did have
Roll cage and they did often end up on the roof.
The car builders & drivers were very proud of their cars, and didn’t
Mind get their pictures taken. Glad of that !!!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Joe.....

Am toying with the idea of using the Revell '30 Ford Model A as a starting point, but the top is chopped. IF and that is a BIG if, I want to use this kit for a starting point of the style of modified that ran and a couple of tracks I went to around 1966, but those cars did not have chopped tops. Forgot that Big Donkey has one of these bodiies.

One other question, on the Big Donkey body, did you go with the stock(?) firewall on the BDR resin body?
TIA
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!
bigjoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Thanks, Joe.....

One other question, on the Big Donkey body, did you go with the stock(?) firewall on the BDR resin body?
TIA

If you look close at the model, you can see the engine is set back, which was the common way to build this cars.
Big donkey resin model A is a quality resin and a good starting point for these modified cars. Has the fire wall molded in but can be removed in minutes with a drimel, or a razor saw.
Made a fire wall out of evergreen sheet. The model A body hides a lot on this model but all the details are there.
I’m new working with the resin stuff. For $15 the big donkey body can’t be beat. My next project will be a big donkey 1933 Ford sedan . Another car Lee Roy Yarbrough drove. But with a Chrysler hemi engine, not the usual chevy w head engine.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Joe!!

While I doubt I would try and build a replica, as I'm not sure I could pull it off. I do prefer building fantasy types....

However, my inspiration comes from he following site: www.fairmontspeedwayarchives.org
Look for the Photos tab and check the years 1965 thru 1970 for the modifieds, years 1965 through 1967 are where I'm getting my inspiration from,
From 1968 thru 1970 you can see how quickly the modifieds morphed into more sprint car type frames/chassis. The red/while/blue #14 in the 1970 pics the frame of that car was built from plans from Don Edmunds, that same frame used for the Monogram Supermodifed in 1967.
bigjoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one outstanding website. Looked at pictures from all the years .
Those modified car were built like tanks!! Much safer looking that the North Florida modifies of the early 60’s.
So many pictures I would know were to start to pick out one to make a model of.
I know a fellow in North Florida that has 1000’s of pictures of North Florida racing back in the early 60’s but he’s not willing to make them public. Such a waste to keep them a secret.
Glad not everyone feels that way!!! I believe in sharing....
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos of the modifieds from the 1970 season, which also ran at the Jackson, MN track some 20 miles or so West of the Fairmont track kept running the modifeds for the 1971 season....Those were the basis for this build from 1971

In March of 1972 I moved to Southern CA, and by the time I came back in 1976 the "modifieds" at the Jackson track were sprint cars with mandated "roofs" such as depicted on the black #97
The red #54 is moslty a Monogram Edmunds Supermodified with the roof and most of the tail cut off and a highly modified Revell Orange Crate '32 Ford Sedan body. The intake manifold and the 3 2bbl cars I think were "rescued from a scrapped AMT early '60's Ford P/U Not sure where the down tubes came from. And yes, that is a splice down the center of the sedan body. cut it too narrow at first. and the splice was just the right width, but with lack of proper tools, was not able to get things smoothed out. Used a hot knife to enlarge the window openings and ope up the rear window. And yes, The Auto World decal is covering up the the lower body splice.....with a couple of sizing mistakes, did get the scratch built push done done rather easily.
Both the #54 and the #oy were built with the kit tires...Oh to have had the cottage inudstires we have today back then....
bigjoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool looking modifies. All sorts of ways to cover up the little mistakes when building these type cars. Have done some similar to the #54 using mainly the kit and adding a highly modified sedan body.
The modified era was done in North Florida by the mid 60’s. Replaced by the very popular NASCAR style late model sportsman class.
I do enjoy building the early 60 modified cars. especially the ones I saw on the track.
Saw lots of the supermodified cars like you #97. But with dirt track tires and no roof. Just the small roll bar behind the drive . Very dangerous cars back then with almost no driver protection.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe....

You know what I have to "laugh" about? The second round of tires AMT put in their 3rd release of the Grant King sprint, the two piece plastic rear tires, along with the already 2 piece front tires, are the same tires the put in the Tobias chassied modifieds.
Then, on the other hand when MPC brought out their "pavement" modifieds they used the tires form the Super Stocker series along with the same wheels....which of course were dirt track tires....
This past fall, I had Larry @ Big Donkey do up some more accurate pavement tires for sprint cars, in particular the GK sprints...In talking to Larry about these tires, plus a few other things I had him do up for me, I learned he does Halibrand sprint car wheels which are VERY Nice. plus, for as detailed as they are, they are very crisp on detail and even have separate knock offs, which are also very nice looking...So....IF and WHEN I ever find a way to get back to the work table, I have some nice tires and wheels, especially for pavement sprints and even the Edmunds super modified. Now, I wish I had bought the old style (as in 1960's) top wing that would have looked good on the Edmunds super, but it was Ron Royston who had created it, and he passed away several years ago now...I'm just not good at fabricating.....
bigjoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry is a cool guy. Really like using his resins and he has answers lots of questions when I couldn’t figure something out.
Most all the modified cars I have done over the last year use his resin wheels & tires.
The #39 LeeRoy Yarbrough Dodge really shows well using those tall skinny tires with the added white walls. Plus the Dodge body is also a big donkey resin. Have an order in now with Larry for more stuff for my next two projects.
I recommend Bigdonkey to anyone look for quality resin parts.

During these mostly stay a home days I’ll keep turning out more modified cars, But may add a late model sportsman in there also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: