Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1985 Monte Carlo tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: 1985 Monte Carlo tips Reply with quote

I haven't built a full model kit in close to 15 years, just diecast. Have one I want to build though. Any tips or tricks on the Monogram Monte Carlo Notchback?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kit is a first GEN Monogram kit. Pretty much goes together well. I do modify the headers into normal style rather than the 180 included. I just cut off the cross over pipes and use epoxy putty to correct them. Other than that it falls together.
john843

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon, one of the things I always do to the Monte Carlos and Buicks is to smooth out the sharp lines at the top of the fenders and quarters and also the full length of the roof right above the window opening. On both edges of the roof there is such a sharp line that I've often wondered if it was a mold mark. It is particularly noticeable right above the opera windows. I use 600 gr. usually and starting at the front end, kind of round the fender tops over to the flat portion. Same with the roof. You're not removing it completely but it takes away that stark look of a street car body and gives it more of the "massaged" look we're used to on the cars from that era. Although it doesn't show it completely because of the angles, I have some photos in this section under John843s Valvoline Buick that had this done to it along with thinning out the inner wheel wells to a more scale thickness.
Almost forgot to mention but sanding down the roof edges and panel tops makes for a little easier painting by getting rid of those surface-tension inducing razor sharp lines. But as Dave said, the kits go together with a minimum of tweaking. I was late to the game on these kits, always considering them "too current" but after building the Buick out of a Waltrip combo, I was hooked. After years of fighting the inherent problems with the PL Fords and Mercs and converting straight street cars to Nascar, these things seemed to almost build themselves.

John

John
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sharp roof & fender edges are indeed mold lines, or more correctly mold parting lines. One piece car body molds, with their many different angles and reverse draft, ( curved under door and fender panels ) require the mold to use slides that move in tight as the two halves of the mold are closed in the molding press, then move back as the mold opens at the end of each cycle, thereby allowing the car body to be ejected from the mold. On Monogram stock car models that I have ( all the early years ), the mold parting lines are more pronounced on the later molding runs, as the slides tend to wear over many cycles and no longer shut off tight. This condition allows some plastic ( shot in HOT at HIGH pressure ) to flash over. This also happens at window openings.
joe b

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also the front air dam on the bumper will probably need to be removed. check your references they were initially allowed then nascar banned them.

joe
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
also the front air dam on the bumper will probably need to be removed. check your references they were initially allowed then nascar banned them.

joe

No front lower air dam on the MCSS from mid - 1983 season ( a few teams tried it with less rear spoiler per NASCAR's new ruling ) until early in the 1986 season.
NASCAR ruled that because the lower front air dam was not installed on the car at the factory, it was not original equipment on the MCSS. The piece was in the trunk of EVERY MCSS; dealer installed so it would not be torn off while loading / unloading from auto carriers. Basically a bone NASCAR threw to the slower car makes; rumored to have originated from Ford teams. Bill Elliott fixed THAT issue - really QUICK - after his stellar 1985 season. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: