Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What pulls you to NASCAR modeling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radar43

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: What pulls you to NASCAR modeling? Reply with quote

I like all NASCAR cars and drivers from day one to present. The cars and drivers that I enjoy researching are from 1959 to 1989. In that time frame I have several drivers and car types that I prefer. Bobby Isaac is my all time favorite driver. My all time favorite car type is Chevrolet 1983 to 1986 Monte Carlo SS notch back. The seven drivers and cars that I enjoy are any car driven by Bobby Issac, Harry Gant, Bobby Allison, Dale Earnhardt, Cale Yarborough, David Pearson and Richard Petty. Other than the cars driven by these seven drivers that I stated I prefer, are all Dodge Daytonas, Plymouth Superbirds, Ford Talladegas, Mercury Spoiler IIs, 68-70 Dodge Chargers including the Dodge Charge 500. Any and all General Motors G-Body cars from 1981-1987. Inside that group it`s the 1983-1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS, Notch Back, Aero Coupe and 1986 Pontiac GP 2+2.

I do also have a soft spot and Great respect for Wendell Scott, Jimmy Means, Dave Marcis and J.D. McDuffie. Enjoy you NASCAR modeling time! Learn from your modeling mistakes. Be kind to fellow modelers. Share your skills and knowledge with younger modelers! Howard (Radar43).
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I can list all the reasons I like NASCAR. You stated many.....
When I was a kid and Dad was the Valvoline rep in So Cal and the NASCAR cars came to Riverside I was not sure what they were....but I knew I liked these huge loud monsters.
When we moved to Charlotte in 1970 my interest exploded. And all the shops around Charlotte that most of them you could just drop by and talk racing made me a fan forever.
Things have changed....everything has....but we can go back a little by building the models.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was growing up in South Carolina in the 50's and 60's, Nascar racing was the only sport in the south. The Washington Senator and Cincinnati Reds were the closest major league baseball teams and the Redskins in the NFL. Plus I only lived a half mile from our local track. Plus the newspapers did a great job in covering racing.
Bill
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was happenstance and a desire for something different. I have ALWAYS lived... in a miniature world. As things often do, certain instances in my youth drove me towards a more solitary, self entertaining pastimes. I've had plastic and glue in my hands since age five. It seemed the smaller things got, the more I enjoyed them. To my mother's dismay, I passed over Tonka trucks in favor of matchbox cars. I loved Mego figures but, was overjoyed when Kenner started the 3 and 3/4 craze.
So this brings me to about age ten, and our first trip to Daytona speedway. Donnie Allison was on the track in mid January, testing a car for someone. All grey primer and cranking out more decibels than dad after a broccoli and cheese dinner! FORGET truck pulls! This is it!!
I tried building a few of the older MPC kits, never had any of the AMT's. I remember getting bored fairly quickly with the same kit, different body motiff. I tried some of the Monogram kits in the early 80's. They were much easier to deal with. As my skill set grew I honed them on show rods, custom cars, movie and TV and of course, ED ROTH.
Now, like a girlfriend from the past who, wants to "try again", I've come back to NASCAR and the kits I loved as a kid but now? Well I suppose Salvinos bringing cars that were never done before has had a LOT to do with my renewed interest.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me NASCAR modeling has been a natural outgrowth of my lifelong interest in auto racing. Not hard to Catch the Disease while growing up in Southern California. I went through school with the daughter of Esslinger Engineering, a noted VW Motor shop. Scott Bloomquist, who would become a BIG dirt track racer ( yes I know about his habit ), was another classmate. LOTSA Drag Racers and Off - Road racers too; Saddleback Motorcycle Park was nearby, as was OCIR. I gravitated towards NASCAR after attending the L.A. Times 500 at Ontario Motor Speedway 1978 thru 1980, then switched to sweet RIVERSIDE INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY. ( I still believe if - If - IF - Riverside had somehow been able to hold off the developers until the early 1990's, maybe - MAYbe - MAYBE Bruton Smith would have bought it and turned it into a showplace. oh well Sad ..steamroller )
The Monogram NASCAR kits of the early 1980's Were THE BOMB to me, and a pleasant distraction from my life - long Model Railroad Disease. Hey - at least the Stock Cars didn't have to RUN, not like the slot cars of the 1960's. I would buy up the Terry Labonte Piedmont MCSS kits on close - out at K-Mart for $1.99 each; still have a bunch of those.
NASCAR tracks I have visited - past & present, include Ontario, Riverside, Mesa Marin, LOTSA Saturday nights at Saugus, El Cajon, Orange Show, Irwindale, Fontana, Tucson, Phoenix, Roseburg, Portland Speedway 1/2 mile oval and the PIR road course, Evergreen, Tenino, Spanaway, Yakima, Tri - Cities, Stateline, Las Vegas Motor Speedway 1/2 mile dirt track, Pocono, Richmond, BRISTOL August Night Race, and I've stopped by Oxford Plains to take pics but couldn't stay for the race. ..aarrgghh Then my step - son said; " You could have stayed for the race; we would have picked you up the next day on our way to ride the Conway Scenic Railroad. " ..aarrgghh ..aarrgghh Woulda - Shoulda, Coulda...
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like to find a picture of a car I really like and make a 3 d version of it to get a better look at it. Then I like to put all my creations in cases and collect them. I like Nascar because ever since I saw my first stock car racing action in a movie when i was 8 years old I have been addicted to it. It turned out to be Nascar stock cars. The movie was "Thunder in Carolina". Scenes from the 1959 Southern 500 were in the movie along with various other dirt tracks from back then. Rory Calhoun was the star of the movie and I think his character was based loosely on Curtis Turner.

Last edited by MarkJ on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, building NASCAR never really took off for me. In part, growing up in North Central Iowa, there were only 4 dirt tracks near by. the then 1/4 mile at Algona, IA, the big half miles at Farimont and Jackson, MN and at Spencer, IA, but they only ran races during fair time and then, they were day races in early Sept.
Before heading for SoCal in 1972 built 3 NASCAR types...the first was the AMT annual release of the 1969 Ford Torino, which had some nice race car parts. Then in 1970 MPC released Bobby Isaac's #71 Dodge Daytona, with only race option to build. Around the same time, JoHan brought out the Superbird 3n1 kit, stock/drag/NASCAR Then came early 1972 when MPC brought out their 1st four NASCAR releases with the generic chassis, of the Petty #43 Plymouth and #11 Dodge, the Mercury and Chevy. Only bought the Petty #43. Was built in IA but decaled in Toirrance, CA, suburb of LA.
Also at that time my interest of NASCAR waned big time in favor of the CRA sprint cars, primarily at Ascot. and a few at the Speedway 605 paved half mile track. Only other NASCAR types I remember building were the Brooks #22 Daytona and the AMT release of Bobby Allison's #12 1st gen Monte Carlo. have not built a NASCAR type since then.
However in 1993 got hooked on NASCAR again, as more than the Daytona 500 were on TV flag to flag coverage. Came across a Racing Champions Petty die-cast set that had different scale sizes of cars from 1/64 to 1/18.....
Soon found there were other 1/64th scale NASCAR's out there, though, at that time, the only places I could find any were between K-Mart and Toys'R'Us....A visit to FL in either 1993 or 1994, founds many more options for places to find NASCAR die cast, they best ones were at the Daytona Flea Market....for the next several years I had fun tracking down various stores around SoCal that catered to NASCAR collectibles. By 2002, even after moving to Central FL, started losing interest in collecting NASCAR as by then teams were changing paint schemes during the season and not just for the "Open" at Charlotte. Plus they were no longer really cheap to buy.
Between the Cup And BGN series, my last actual totlal was 1,151.....know there have been others collected but very sporadically..at just over 60 different locations from CA to FL to SC & NC and one long gone source in Algona, IA in 1996.....

Only went to one NASCAR race at Ontario....the one that David Pearson won in the Wood Bros. car. Have been to 2 or 3 BGN(?) at the Fontana track plus one Craftsmen truck race.

As much as I think about what kit I want to build whether race car or street type, have only completed 1 since 1987 and that was a Revell '63 Corvette snap kit..........and that was last fall.....
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't remember which came first, my love for stock cars or my love for modeling. The two go hand in hand. Being a lifelong resident of Alabama, I was raised in a football atmosphere. But, as much as I looked up to Bear Bryant and Shug Jordan, I was more drawn to the "Alabama Gang". When Bobby, Donnie and Red showed up at Huntsville Speedway it was a huge deal. The stands were packed. You could feel the extra excitement and energy in the air. I vividly remember Bobby Allison helping this 7 or 8 year old kid git into his 57 Chevy Late model Modified. That was a moment I'll never forget. Those days and men like those were special. I was reprimanded far too many times in elementary school for drawing pictures of race cars instead of doing what I should have been doing. What I'd give to go back for just a day or so....
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started building models in the late 60s in my pre-teen years. At that time I loved all kinds of cars and racing. In the NYC area, drag racing was the most popular form of competition, and the street cars were so awesome.
My brother and I built so many models, mostly as street/strip types.
He once decided that he would do his '70 Torino in Stock Car form. That model, with its deep HM style wheels all around, and all the oval track add-ons made it look so tough and rugged. Cars built to bang around a course were a refreshing change from the delicate straight-line sprinters of drag racing.
So, as the late 60s moved in to the next decades my level of interest stayed, in proportion to the extent of factory sheetmetal of the cars. It was always more about the cars, not so much the drivers.
Radar43

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: cars Reply with quote

These are great stories, keep them coming!! Today I read my subject line again. I noticed the body of my message didn`t quite line up with the subject I wrote. Sorry about that. The day I wrote this, the demons of ptsd were torturing me. My interest in stock cars began in June 1964. My uncle Bill took me to the Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville, TN. Richard Petty won the race in a car that was awesome. The sounds of those engines, smell of the fumes, and that Petty blue, I loved it. That day at the track I got to meet Wendall Scott, David Pearson, Richard Petty and my uncle showed me how to ask for autographs. That was a great idea. I played with little cars by racing them around dirt tracks in the yard. Soon after that I discovered model cars, Thanks Mom! I have been hooked on all of it since. I have been on Randy`s for years now. I have learned many things. My skill sets have improved. On the computer I have meet many of the members. I think I have even a time or two helped some of the other members. Most of all, this site has helped me to come out of myself and have a family to be a part of! After getting out of the service, modeling race cars, watching chrome bumper nascar racing and Randy Ayers Nascar, has helped me along my life journey. It has been wonderful being a part of racecars. Howard (Radar43)
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad build dirt race cars back when i was growing up and i spent a lot of time as a kid at both Highland and Belleville race tracks in Illinois. Got away from it until my freshman year in college at Carbondale... didn’t feel like doing homework in my dorm room, turned on the TV and the 1992 Hooters 500 was on. Watched it, was instantly hooked. Then my dad took me to a World of Outlaws race at the old half mile Tri-City Speedway in Granite City, and then i was REALLY HOOKED. Been at it ever since, kinda got away from NASCAR later and stuck with dirt. Been to a bunch of races at Gateway International (now WWT Raceway), also attended races at Bristol and Charlotte. Spent quite a bit of time attending bigger dirt races (World of Outlaws sprints and late models, UMP Summernationals, USAC, etc)!in my area - I-55 Raceway, Tri-City Speedway (in both 1/2 and 3/8 mile incarnations), Highland, Belle-Clair, DuQuoin (dirt mile and indoor 1/6), Kentucky Lake Motor Speedway (one of the best dirt tracks I have ever been to, wish it woulda stayed open... breaks my heart to drive by it on the way to Alabama and see it overgrown), Macon, Godfrey, Jacksonville, and so on. Once saw Tony Stewart run a masterful USAC sprint car race in 1995 in Granite City, been a fan of his ever since. Would go to a race at Eldora over any other track around, that’s the king of the racing bucket list, would really love to go to the 4 Crown weekend.

All that translated into die cast collecting (which I don’t do anymore, really. I may pick up the occasional piece... man i spent A LOT of money on toy race cars back in the day) and building model cars.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was completely opposite of you guys. I grew up near aircraft, my parents both worked for Piper Aircraft in Lakeland, FL. I ALWAYS loved flying and being around planes/jets, so that is my passion, building plane models. I remember being in a car seat flying while my Mom worked on the in flight controls and avionics. My NASCAR modeling happened when a friend of mine knew I built models and asked me if I could build her the Gant Skoal model for her. I said I can try, but, I have no experience in them. Well, let's say it didn't look great lol. I finally got it built and tried to drop it off at her house but she never answered the door(she had MD). After several attempts I just gave up. When I got with my ex, she was a Davey and 28 fan, so she asked me to build one for her. Then her mom was an Earnhardt fan, so I made one for her. Well, almost 300 built cars later, here I am, with you fine gentlemen!!!
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
bangor boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty simple combination for me:

Richard Petty.

Wide World of Sports.

And Saturday nights at the local 1/4 mile track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: