Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Norman Poole NASCAR Photographer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanGTX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Norman Poole NASCAR Photographer Reply with quote

Has anyone got any examples of Norman's work they could share?
In 2007/2008 the library at Talledega museum was selling b/w pictures of his work, all taken in the 60's
The photos are fabulous as Norman was there in pit lane, literally leaning over the shoulders of crew men capturing pit stops and the rolling starts at Darlinton, Charlotte, N.Wilkeboro
I spoke to him a few years ago , and he said that Chris Economaki would pay for his photos for National Speedsport News (think I've remembered the publication correctly), he said he had lots of images from the 60's on negatives.

Sadly, I believe he may have passed away, he lived in Gastonia, just maybe out there are his archives of negatives?
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came up in a quick search:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Norman-Poole-Photography/408195439363729

His 2018 obituary came up in a deeper search.
AlanGTX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Norman Poole NASCAR Photographer Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, maybe Norman's work has been preserved and will be shared one day.
I'll try and take pics of the photos I've got and post them on the NASCAR history page on FB
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see his work. Not familiar with his name but paid endorsements from Chris Economaki speak volumes.

One never wants to intrude uninvited but maybe give that phone number listed on the Facebook page a try. His family may know the disposition of his photo archive and you can pursue it further.

I shoot for a living and own a significant archive of sports images(mostly hockey) that several parties are interested in acquiring. If Norman Poole's work was as good as you say it is, perhaps someone like Ken Martin, director of the NASCAR photo archive in Charlotte, has picked it up. Or would be interested in doing so. He's a good guy about sharing images.
john843

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you will google "norman poole- the first super speedway", it has a few of his pics documenting Jim Clark's run at Rockingham in '67 just a few months before Clark was killed.

John
AlanGTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Norman Poole NASCAR Photographer Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the article John
Couple of interesting points in the article: "much of Poole's work is available at the Holman & Moody library" I've not heard of this, I wonder if the H&M images are available online?
The writer of the article says "No influx of F1 drivers into NASCAR" after Jim Clark's appearance, until Montoya arrived.
Actually, I have the program from the October 1967 National 400 meeting at Charlotte, and listed is one Jackie Stewart. A Google search reveals that Jackie Stewart qualified, blew the engine, and didn't start the race.
I wonder if he used the same Fairlane that Jim Clark raced at Rockingham?
Maybe that was a H&M "guest" car?
Another F1 driver, Jackie Oliver, raced some NASCAR races in 1972 for Junie Donlavey
Jackie moved into the Lotus F1 team as second driver to Graham Hill after Jim Clark was killed in 1968, at that point the cars were red/white with Embassy cigarette sponsorship
Jackie Oliver told me he had a call from Bill France Sr offering him substantial appearance money to drive selected NASCAR races around his other racing commitments. Big Bill wanted a F1 name in NASCAR
Junie Donlavey was given the job of providing the cars and the sponsor was Truxmore - there's images and results on Google
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: