Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino Charger
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would his be they Daytona kit that was mentioned in an above post? This is the MPC Dick Brooks Daytona that ran in the 1971 Daytona 500. Built right out of the box, sometime in the early to mid 1970's once I found it one of my LHS's of the time.

AndyS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Would his be they Daytona kit that was mentioned in an above post? This is the MPC Dick Brooks Daytona that ran in the 1971 Daytona 500. Built right out of the box, sometime in the early to mid 1970's once I found it one of my LHS's of the time.

I thought they were talking about the third-gen Chargers ('71-'74).
However, since you posted that picture, it sure would be nice if they could re-pop a race Daytona from that old Brooks / Mario Rossi MPC kit. The Revell Daytona is a pretty good shape for the street car, but the MPC Brooks kit is much better for race versions, due to the enlarged wheel wells which enable the correct stance and proportions.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something with wings is on the docket. Wink
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, did you do an engine on the Brooks charger or just glue the hood shut. I've been wanting to do this car but wondered where I could get a 340 for it. Ive got some under hood shots of it and heard that they used a trans am cuda motor for it.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the Petty Kit Car have a decent small block Chrysler motor???
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Petty kit car does have a 340 (355) but, it's embarrassingly small. I know the Dart Sport from AMT and the 70 Challenger have a 340. Both will need a manifold swap. I think one is a six barrel and the other is dual quads. Should be able to nab one on ebay.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Polar Lights smallblock is about the right size but it misses the look. Valve covers, etc. aren't really shaped right.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
The Polar Lights smallblock is about the right size but it misses the look. Valve covers, etc. aren't really shaped right.
Agreed. It's also a little blobbish in spots. What about the Plymouth "FuzzDuster"?
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ....

I built the engine that came with the kit, but seem to remember, the only change for the engine was not using the Hemi-heads and valve covers, but more "stock" heads and valve covers. in looking at it just now, the engine does look a bit on the big size to be 305CI....but that's my opinion....
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know it's off topic here, but keep hearing that the body on the MPC Brooks Daytona is not accurate...How so?
If I remember the MPC Isaac/K&K Insurance Daytona kit that came out about a year or so before the first 4 MPC NASCAR kits with the common adjustable frame, the doors on theat kit where the indents are, I seem to remember that kit ahd them pushed out, not in.....
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Know it's off topic here, but keep hearing that the body on the MPC Brooks Daytona is not accurate...How so?
If I remember the MPC Isaac/K&K Insurance Daytona kit that came out about a year or so before the first 4 MPC NASCAR kits with the common adjustable frame, the doors on theat kit where the indents are, I seem to remember that kit ahd them pushed out, not in.....
The Isaac would be the incorrect one to my thinking. The door pieces you refer to are the R/T scoops. IIRC, no Daytona ran with them as NASCAR wouldn't have allowed them. Something bolted to the outside of the body with no real purpose would be a potential hazard. Other than those scoops I think the only difference between the two was the addition of the bumper skirts and removal of the R/T scoops. Dimensionally speaking I always thought the car was a bit narrow and the MPC version lacking a tad in the "shapely" department.
AndyS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:

The Brooks Daytona is the most accurate one, it was the Isaac Daytona that had the inaccurate 1970-style R/T scoops on the doors.

The Brooks Daytona might not be 100% accurate (what kit body is?), but it's the best race Daytona body that's been done IIRC.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well, WELL! I just had a nice Zoom conference with Jim. We looked over the Chargers, both styles and... I nearly wept. This is not to say they're perfect or completed. I passed a few notes on some visuals. There are two separate engines going into this at this time, this may change but I looked at the HEMI and the 355. He had stock oil pans on both and I told him so. They'll be changed to dry sump pans. I thought the headers might be a bit too low and showed him a couple vintage shots of a Petty HEMI all by itself. A little treat is, finally we get a proper, twin belt setup for the engines!
We also discussed the leading edge of the power bulge hood. His was a bit pointier than necessary. I'm sending him a couple overhead shots of a hood I found on google. The '71/'72 style needs a little tweakage around the scallop work on the doors and he's tightening the curve at the top of the C pillar. Both cars appear to have the correct kick out at the rear of the rocker panels. Front bumper looks real nice and there are three different grilles. All very nicely detailed.
Since their version of the generic chassis was originally designed for this kit, the additions and details should take a little of the sting out of the two piece chassis. As always, Jim was open to critique (sounds WAY better than criticism) and was taking notes the whole time.
There were a couple other things we looked at, like what's coming next but, that's for another thread. Wink
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these turn out as well as you say....we NEED to buy them. If SOME of the cars Salvinos is looking doing come true.......NASCAR modelers will be close to being able to build complete fields for many years!!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
If these turn out as well as you say....we NEED to buy them. If SOME of the cars Salvinos is looking doing come true.......NASCAR modelers will be close to being able to build complete fields for many years!!!
It's quickly getting to that point Dave. I recall my first time at Darlington years ago. the museum had more than one model display of pit road and a couple of the track with built cars. I often thought what if it were possible to do an entire field for a specific race from the 70's. Now it just might be possible. There are several more MOPAR planned. Speaking of which, did anyone ever run a '73/'74 Roadrunner? Pretty sure they didn't. I don't remember one but there was some discussion with Jim around them.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I agree 100%. I have purchased at least one of all the Salvino models that have been produced . If there is not enough cash flow generated on these kits, getting new kits will be extremely difficult .
Bill
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
There are several more MOPAR planned. Speaking of which, did anyone ever run a '73/'74 Roadrunner? Pretty sure they didn't. I don't remember one but there was some discussion with Jim around them.

Buddy Arlington #67 KFC car only one off top of my head.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:
There are several more MOPAR planned. Speaking of which, did anyone ever run a '73/'74 Roadrunner? Pretty sure they didn't. I don't remember one but there was some discussion with Jim around them.

Buddy Arlington #67 KFC car only one off top of my head.
I'm only finding a '72 style with that # and sponsor. Hopefully the guys with the deep archives can chime in. Smile
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
MarkJ....

I built the engine that came with the kit, but seem to remember, the only change for the engine was not using the Hemi-heads and valve covers, but more "stock" heads and valve covers. in looking at it just now, the engine does look a bit on the big size to be 305CI....but that's my opinion....

So your thinking it might be a 440 in your build? I really like the iconic nature of this car being the only Daytona in the race with the little engine. I'm also a big Richard Brooks fan.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Dave, I agree 100%. I have purchased at least one of all the Salvino models that have been produced . If there is not enough cash flow generated on these kits, getting new kits will be extremely difficult .
Bill
And most have to admit, his learning curve from the Olds to the 2+2 has been improving leaps and bounds. If he can pull off something as nice as the 2+2's rear window? I know he'll keep at this until he get's it as right as the schedule will allow. As for me, I'm a firm believer in "All good things to he who waits." I waited about 45 years for a 25th scale Batmobile. I'm still waiting patiently for the Dodge Magnum to be done in scale. But I'd rather wait a little extra and they get it good than if they rush it out and it's a mess. (ahem*polarlightscharger*ahem). All I know is, the more he reaches out for help on some of these parts the more info he collects. If this Charger kit(s) come out like I think they will? The '71/'72 Roadrunner kit will be a for sure as well.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
I'm only finding a '72 style with that # and sponsor. Hopefully the guys with the deep archives can chime in. Smile

Buddy's 73...I have a few other photos...all small...all fuzzy. I think I clipped them from newspapers and mags
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Plymouth in NASCAR. I think he had some starts in '75 with this car.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
The last Plymouth in NASCAR. I think he had some starts in '75 with this car.

Always wanted to build the car with the MPC 73-4 body.....
joe b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those cad files look like the polar lights body. and that transparent test shot is horrible. i don't have much confidence they will get it right. their eye seems to always be slightly off. the olds they missed the accent line and bumpers are huge, montes missed on the shape/angle of the front end, rear bumper an corners of the rear panel stick out way too much. 2+2 left the bumpetts on the rear bumper, rear deck missing slight hump, accent lines on lid too sharp/pronounced and the roll cage sits too low in the body/ a bars don't match up to pillars. granted overall the 2+2 is not bad, probably hit the mark closest so far. and they can't get a chassis that fit the bodies. i don't hold much hope they will get this right although i hope i'm wrong. seems they don't listen to suggestions.

joe.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Charger CAD drawings Jim has been showing on his Saturday morning updates look much better than the prototype on the first page of this thread. I think he’s starting to get the hang of how thoroughly everything needs to be gone over before it goes into production. The LeMans also looks very good. He’s mentioned that Paul Aleman from Cherry Run is going over all of his prototypes, so I’m sure that second set of eyes helps.

I agree that the Monte Carlo and Olds were unacceptable, but the 2+2 and flat nose Monte Carlo are much better. Not perfect, but certainly within the same tolerances that Monogram had back in the day.

I still don’t love the generic chassis, but since it was pretty much tooled to go with the Charger, it will be good enough for me if the bodies are accurate.
WR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am building a 2 plus 2 now and I love it no complaining from me glad to have it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: