Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2020 NASCAR Hall of Fame nominees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: 2020 NASCAR Hall of Fame nominees Reply with quote

Something different starting this year: 3 Different Categories:
Modern Era Ballot Vote for 2 : Neil Bonnett, Jeff Burton, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Carl Edwards, Harry Gant, Harry Hyde, Larry Phillips, Ricky Rudd, Kirk Shelmerdine, Mike Stefanik.
Pioneer Ballot Vote for 1 : Jake Elder, Red Farmer, Banjo Matthews, Hershel McGriff, Ralph Moody.
Landmark Award Vote for 1 : Janet Guthrie, Alvin Hawkins, Mike Helton, Dr. Joseph Mattioli, Ralph Seagraves.
I implore those here to keep their comments on an ADULT Level; support your favorites withOUT bashing others for their choices.
For Modern Era Dale Jr. is a shoe - in; after that I'm torn. Larry Phillips deserves recognition for his success in the often over-looked National Weekly Racing series. Mike Stefanik had to race in the shadow & afterglow of Modified Series greats Evans, Hendrick, and Jarzombek. Harry Gant though, was such a great ambassador for NASCAR, and really THE driver that other drivers wanted to see win if they could not. Eighteen wins is not a lot, until you consider Harry only ran the whole Cup schedule for 15 years. Tough choices here.
Pioneer Ballot choices include -- for the first time -- Hershel McGriff .boogie .boogie on a H of F ballot. HOWever, I cannot vote for him over the Late, Great Ralph Moody. I cannot see NASCAR race cars being as fast, SAFE, and reliable as they are today, without the talents of Ralph Moody. With his partner John Holman, Holman - Moody was THE University of NASCAR for mechanics, fabricators, AND drivers. Banjo Matthews simply carried on the tradition of the Holman - Moody 1965 Ford Galaxie chassis on a evolutionary level. I truly expect McGriff, Red Farmer, and Banjo to make it in to the H of F, just not this year.

Landmark Award choices include three promoters ( basically ), Janet Guthrie, and THE man who brought The ART of PROMOTION to NASCAR. Ralph Seagraves and his team at R.J. Reynolds didn't just bring bigger race purses to the sport, he taught race track promoters HOW to " sell - Sell - SELL " Auto racing, to quote the late Chris Economaki. Lotsa Red & White paint to be sure, but Seagraves also implored track owners & promoters to improve consessions, advertising, RESTROOMS, and other amenities. Janet will make it to the H of F soon, hopefully next year.
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My votes would be...

Phillips and Shelmerdine

Moody

Seagraves

Shouldn’t Moody be part of a team induction with Holman? To me that seems like when Springsteen got inducted into the RnR HoF WITHOUT the E Street Band. They go hand in hand.
truedeadman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my votes would be:

Bonnett and Gant

Tie between Moody and Banjo

Guthrie
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE Jr and Ricky Rudd

Moody

Guthrie

Let me explain the Rudd vote. Rudd drover for a number of legions. He was involved in many of the events that are still recalled today. The whole Daytona wreck in Moore's car and that week driving with eyes taped open!! And his win at the Brickyard as owner driver is the last big win by a guy that did it on his own....built a shop, hired the crew, built cars and won a HUGE race. Will never happen again.
Thanks
PS: I've met him a few times...good guy!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choices:

Bonnett...Hyde

McGriff (for sentimental reasons)

Guthrie
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no Smokey Yunick. Thats a pure travesty. Thats like the football hall not having Lombardi. Cmon Nascar, let bygones be bygones. You know Smokey deserves to be in the hall. It makes them look ridiculous and petty.
john843

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyde and Stefanik.
Moody.
Guthrie.
As George mentioned before, so much of what made Nascar what it is (was?) came straight from the Magic Factory out by the Charlotte airport. Can't believe Moody's not ALREADY in the Hall

John
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Still no Smokey Yunick. Thats a pure travesty. Thats like the football hall not having Lombardi. Cmon Nascar, let bygones be bygones. You know Smokey deserves to be in the hall. It makes them look ridiculous and petty.

Vince Lombardi played the game by the NFL's rules. Smokey Yunick was THE REASON for many NASCAR rules. Laughing Laughing I agree he belongs in the NASCAR H of F, however there is still too much bad blood and ..deadhorse on the part of the France Family. ( Come to think of it -- Smokey Yunick MAY be the Reason NASCAR's Hall of Fame doesn't have an OLDTIMERS committee vote. ) Is Smokey in the Indy Hall of Fame ??? I know his capsule or sidecar Indycar is / was in their hall, which brings up a valid point: Indianapolis Motor Speedway allowed ( and even rewarded ) innovation, while NASCAR ... Rolling Eyes
BTW Dave -- didn't Ricky Rudd also set the NASCAR record for most consecutive seasons with a win ???

Last edited by George Andrews on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Gant &Hyde
2. Moody
3. Seagrove

Bill
creepyguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Gant needs to be in the Hall
OldTrucker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why more modern era when there are so many that made Nascar what it was that it seems will never be recognized!
They need to do a legacy induction that would catch things up to where we really should be today.
Would be nice to see many more pioneers let in while they are still alive to know they made a difference !t
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTrucker wrote:
Why more modern era when there are so many that made Nascar what it was that it seems will never be recognized!
They need to do a legacy induction that would catch things up to where we really should be today.
Would be nice to see many more pioneers let in while they are still alive to know they made a difference !t

I agree there are 10-12 names on that list that should already be in the HOF and not even competing yearly with the modern names from the past 15 years or so these are the people that built what we have today.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnett & Hyde (Harry was a local boy, gotta go with him)

Banjo

Guthrie
drppr76

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how many of you know this but you can now start voting - I tried Thursday or Friday of last week and it wasn't ready yet to vote- I hope someday Ray Nichels gets nominated
Radar43

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: vote Reply with quote

Harry Hyde, Ralph Moody and Janet Guthrie are my votes.
Shadetree Modeler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year I hold out hope that Larry Phillips will get the credit he so much deserves. But I'm sure we all know this is pretty much a popularity contest with the outcome predetermined. Confused
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnet, McGriff, Guthrie.
AndyS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Ralph Moody.

I got to meet Bobby Allison once at a Barrett-Jackson auction in 2006, and mentioned when he made the switch to Holman-Moody in 1971. He said "Ralph Moody is my hero." That's a solid gold endorsement as far as I'm concerned!
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Results are IN :
Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Mike Stefanik, Red Farmer, Shocked and Ralph Seagraves.
At least one surprise in my opinion, Red Farmer over both Banjo Matthews AND Ralph Moody. BTW, didn't I see Junior racing just last weekend ???
drppr76

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be sounding PC or anything like that but all the nominees are worthy - glad to see Mike Stefaniak get in - Although I voted 50 times a day when the Labontes and Buddy Baker were nominees, I still think it's good to put in drivers from the regional and modified series as well - my three would be
Hyde
Gant
Herschel McGriff
I also hope someday Ray Nichels is inducted, can't figure out why he's not on the ballot yet
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few needed to go before DE Jr......he raced last weekend so he's not even retired yet. And I like and respect Dale......just not his time yet.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
A few needed to go before DE Jr......he raced last weekend so he's not even retired yet. And I like and respect Dale......just not his time yet.

..agree
Radar43

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: HOF Reply with quote

Harry Hyde, Harry Gant
Ralph Moody
Janet Guthrie
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..agree
Ricky Rudd......good career and did the most as a true owner driver.......Indy anyone??
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raymond Fox and Herb Nab should already be in.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..agree
Part of the problem with our 'sport'....so many great folks involved.
WR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Nab
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeroy Yarbrough is way overdue also.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

..agree ..agree ..agree Yes, Dale Junior is a crowd pleaser - but he's STILL RACING !!! That said, I predicted he would go in in RIGHT AWAY. Red Farmer certainly belongs in the Hof F, but not before Ralph Moody in my humble opinion.
I've always felt that The Powers That Be in NASCAR and their Hall of Fame should have " salted " the Hall's first class with 25 or so of the Most Obvious entries, including those who were with NASCAR from the beginning ( Wood Brothers, Petty Enterprises, Cotton Owens, Junior Johnson, Curtis Turner, Joe Weatherly, ), or almost the beginning ( Bud Moore, Louis Clements, Junie Donlavey, Ray Fox, Ray Nichels, ) - you get the idea. I know some have made it in, but some of the true Pioneers deserved to be inducted while they were still alive to enjoy the moment.
The salting should have also included REGIONAL names that might be lesser - known to the average Hof F visitor - Drivers Hershel ( no C )McGriff, Ray Elder, Jack McCoy & car owners George Jefferson & Bill McAnally from The West; Richie Evans, Charlie Jarzomback, and Ray Hendrick from Modifieds, Promoters Clay Earles, Joe Mattioli, and from The West Marion Collins. There's 22 names right there !!! ..stir How about The Independents, that now - extinct group of Owner - Drivers that included Buddy Arrington, James Hylton, Neil Castles, Coo Coo Marlin, J.D. McDuffie Crying or Very sad , Frank Warren... I'm starting to tear up now, gotta go... Sad
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, George Andrews!
Racer14

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody is a good choice, but I gotta go with Red Farmer. He is 87 years old and still racing!

Those missing: Louis Clements and Smokey Yunick.

Yes, I know it will never happen for Smokey Mad
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
DE Jr and Ricky Rudd

Moody

Guthrie

Let me explain the Rudd vote. Rudd drover for a number of legions. He was involved in many of the events that are still recalled today. The whole Daytona wreck in Moore's car and that week driving with eyes taped open!! And his win at the Brickyard as owner driver is the last big win by a guy that did it on his own....built a shop, hired the crew, built cars and won a HUGE race. Will never happen again.
Thanks

I agree with RUDD...and he also was a pretty good road racer!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryjint wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
DE Jr and Ricky Rudd

Moody

Guthrie

Thanks

I agree with RUDD...and he also was a pretty good road racer!

I don't disagree.....but that was not my post.....not sure why it says it me!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: